Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Beer Strengthe fun
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I’m greedy, I always have been, put a packet of tescos value chocolate chip cookies in front of me, and I will devour them before the wrapping has touched the ground.

After a shit week at work, I took my second in command out for a beer with me to our local overpriced imported beer restaurant bar.

I don’t know what it is, but the Super Scottish Gene kicks in, I am scottish, born and bred highlander, and I start comparing % alcohol to volume to price .

The imported craft beers range from around 5GBP to 8.6GBP per bottle, some 330ml and some 500ml.

I spend ages, every time I go in pouring over the menu working out the best value to volume to % acl content. I have even started working on a spreadsheet.

I could just buy a few and enjoy them, but it would take away the fun.

At my local in the NE, whenever it Orkney SKull SPlitter was on tap, I would drink as much as I could, generally 5-6pints for the sheer value of it.

Who else is like this? Greedy for the strength of beer rather than the taste.

Tonight I have had – a Fullers Honey Beer, a Rogue Summer Ale, a Hob Goblywin something or other one I have forgotten, and two Trapists Deleriums, which I wish I had just left in the fridge.

Fullers Honey is manky

binners

Xylene
    Free Member

I love a cold can of special brew.

Snakebite made with Special Brew and Pulse cider is the business.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Xylene
    Free Member

^ feeling a bit like that.

bearnecessities

Ecumenical?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I randomly dropped into the localish Bargain Booze (not great area) to be confronted with a whole fridge shelf of Leffe!! Bonus I thought,odd but great.I asked the girl behind the counter about it and she said the locals love it.Big bottles,strong as buggery and £3.50 a bottle. 😀

Kryton57

I’m only interested in the result – so what is the best tasting ABV /£ beer?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ and why not, strong beer is the best beer. Who wants to spend their night chatting bollocks, when you can get it over and done with in 4 pints and have made a **** of yourself, and be in bed by 8

nedrapier

I’m only interested in the result – so what is the best tasting ABV /£ beer?

Old Empire, 5.7%, 3 x 500ml for £5 from a nearby supermarket isn’t a bad place to start.

And Thornbridge Jaipur, 5.9% for £abitmore is a bloody lovely drop.

I found out yesterday they do a Jaipur X at 10% and £more. Very keen to try that.

Xylene
    Free Member

^^ Lion just now. It’s an indonesian beer. 8% 330 ml at about 3GBP per bottle.

More than 3 is hard graft.

330ml Trapist Delerium – about 4.75 per 330ml is good value. but three is enough.

Best value is the local beers Tiger, Leo Sing and Chang, but I respect my liver too much

They did miss price Trapist 10% on draft for a few weeks, and a pint was about 5gbp which was a bargain,

They do a beer tower now, missus Q says no i’m not allowed it. but a beer tower of 10% trappist beer would be amazing.

Clobber
    Free Member

Who wants to spend their night chatting bollocks, when you can get it over and done with in 4 pints and have made a **** of yourself, and be in bed by 8

I think you might just be my hero…!

binners

Quirrel – when we were young and stupid, we’d start the evening in our local with snakebites of…

Absolute rocket fuel 😀

And cider wise, we used to drink in a bar in the northern quarter that one day changed its draft cider from Westons to Addlestones. We only realised this when my mate, who can normally handle his cider, keeled over sideways. On inspection it turned out the new cider was 9%. He’d been drinking it all afternoon 😆

Kryton57

^ and why not, strong beer is the best beer. Who wants to spend their night chatting bollocks, when you can get it over and done with in 4 pints and have made a **** of yourself, and be in bed by 8

Pretty standard stuff from me on “normal” beer…

andytherocketeer

pouring over the menu

I’d suggest poring over the menu, and pouring in a glass

Thornbridge Jaipur

think that one’s probably the one I’ve given most *****’s in Untappd.
    No Waitrose in Germany, so have to wait till I’m back over.

Xylene
    Free Member

Pretty standard stuff from me on “normal” beer…

Cut the time in half, drink strong beer, it is the correct thing to do.

johndoh
    Free Member

Henry Weston’s can’t be beaten – two bottles of that and it’s all over for me and with it being 3 bottles for £5 at the Co-op almost all the time I am sorted.

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

They do a beer tower now, missus Q says no
    i’m not allowed it. but a beer tower of 10%
    trappist beer would be amazing.

Stumbled upon a cellar bar in Krakow that did this, a tower of dark ale from their own microbrewery. Don’t remember much about the bar or beer but do vaguely recall sitting on a park bench for several hours afterwards arguing over where the hotel was.

soobalias
    Free Member

Orkney Skull Splitter.

iirc thats around 8%, it was on at a local beer festival a couple of years ago – the most strangly narcotic ‘beer’ ive ever drunk, the results were hilarious (literally)

Dog-Ears
    Free Member

TBH anything below 8% is classified as “lady beer” by the Belgians. Personal favourite for strength and taste Bush, even the Amber is 10.5%.
    I also find American brew very good tasting beer and they know how to get strength in it as well. Just wish the Brits would catch up 😉

scruff
    Free Member

No point in drinking beer brewed for cooking. Thing is some draft beers are weaker than when bottled (like Hobgoblin), I’m sure its something or nothing to do with fermentation or something.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

As my family nickname is “wancan” which roughly translates from native Glaswegian to “nancy boy drinker, one can of lager and pished” (given to me by my older brothers when I was about 16) I have singularly failed to shake this reputation although now I can manage 3-4 normal beers before I start talking broken biscuits. Therefore the notion of 3-4 Skullsplitters makes me shudder.

yunki
    Free Member

Yep… Exactly the same as the OP here

Rum is the answer

Which leaves beer to be selected by the more complicated process of balancing out the ratio between strength, cost, colour, silly name, nicheness, size of brewery and distance of brewery from home

MrNice
    Free Member

Binners – what you needed if you were starting the evening later than your mates was snakebite and black with a vodka in the top. Guaranteed to **** you up sooner rather than later.

I remember K cider with horror. I’ve not touched cider in >20 years and doubt I will ever again thanks to that stuff.

Cougar

when we were young and stupid, we’d start the evening in our local with snakebites of…

Holsten Pils and Diamond White, in a pint glass. A pound a bottle in the student haunts.

As my family nickname is “wancan”

We named a fellow Toucan for not wholly dissimilar reasons.

Though, a nickname of “wancan” wouldn’t immediately make me consider your drinking ability, rather that you’d once been caught in public relaxing in a gentleman’s way.

sandwicheater

Currently can’t get enough of Theakstons Old Peculiar.

5.6% ABV 500ml for £1.24 at Tesco.

Xylene
    Free Member

No Theakstons out here yet, and it won’t be 1.24 a bottle, more like 6 a bottle if it comes.

Last bottle of delerium has been finished, unless I drink the wife’s wine cooler, it’s good night from me.

rc200f8
    Free Member

Love a cold Tennent’s Super, its a great drink when you don’t have much time, it certainly hits the spot!

northernmatt

Orkney Skull Splitter.

iirc thats around 8%, it was on at a local beer festival a couple of years ago – the most strangly narcotic ‘beer’ ive ever drunk, the results were hilarious (literally)

Oddly enough this is exactly the recollection I have of it. Apparently I disappeared for couple of these with another bloke and we both came back giggling and a bit worse for wear.

wrecker
    Free Member

I love this. The OP has a new fan.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Duval – somewhere around 8.5 and £1.75 in Sainsbury. Bought a dozen and had three in the sauna which is why I can’t read the label.

Theakston Old Peculiar is my regular ale.

Somebody managed to distil 4 bottles of Australian red wine into a clear spirit that you could light. not sure of the proof but apparently it tasted better after a year in the bottle (it, not you)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Anyone remember TNT cider? Utterly lethal stuff!

globalti
    Free Member

Try this simple trick:

Buy the cheapest discounted cooking lager you can find. Sling the cans in the freezer for a couple of hours. Crack them open over a bowl, carefully as the water will have frozen and increased in volume creating high pressure. Catch all the brown liquor that comes out of the cans and drink it; it will be about 80% alcohol and the water will remain in the cans as ice.

Enjoy.

ingwerfuchs
    Free Member

Our local offy has started stocking some real beauties. I’ve got three different Deliriums in the fridge whilst I get through some Beavertown Brewery tins. The Delirium beer might have to wait until tomorrow. ❗

bearnecessities

Try this simple trick:

Buy the cheapest discounted cooking lager you can find. Sling the cans in the freezer for a couple of hours. Crack them open over a bowl, carefully as the water will have frozen and increased in volume creating high pressure. Catch all the brown liquor that comes out of the cans and drink it; it will be about 80% alcohol and the water will remain in the cans as ice.

Enjoy.

Enjoy what, death?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Try this simple trick

It can’t increase the actual quantity of alcohol in the beer, it will just hit you a bit quicker.

It could get nasty if you did enough cans mind.

jimjam
    Free Member

Tesco finest IPA is 10% and £1.95 a bottle which is great. Their Big Bad Wolf IPA is 6% and £1.25. Both are really nice and easy to drink. It doesn’t matter a damn to me if the beer isn’t nice but I do always find myself hunting for %booze to pounds ratio.

rewski
    Free Member

Unfortunatelytoo busy to pick these up from Bottledog

bikebouy
    Free Member

Isn’t this supposed to be the strongest ? I know a wino’ who insists on it… 😆

rewski
    Free Member

Damn… and all my Jaipur x have gone

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Beer Strengthe fun’ is closed to new replies.