Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Beer of the evening
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s in the pipes for STW this evening? I have one of these to kick off with;

Wojtek was a magnificent 500lb Syrian Bear who served in WW2 alongside a unit of Polish Soldiers. Believing he was a man, Wojtek shared their beer, their cigarettes and, eventually, their fate.

Lovely beer, fascinating story.

So, what’s being quaffed chez STWers tonight?

thejesmonddingo

Amarillo Slim,5.1%,lots of Amarillo and Cascade hops,pale and beautiful

rewski
    Free Member

Nothing at the mo, still suffering from over doing the moors hoppiness on Wednesday here. Lovely drop.

Moors

wrecker
    Free Member

I know that story!
    It’s brilliant and one of those odd almost surreal things which could only happen during war.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wrecker, I’m ashamed to admit I’d never heard of it until I saw the beer!

Rewski, their Merlin’s Magic is one of my current favourites! Was on tap at the local recently, very, very Moor-ish. (See what I did there? 🙂 )

wrecker
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(soldier_bear)

That’s it! Ended up in Edinburgh zoo! First heard about him at the IWM. Smoked fags as well!

br
    Free Member

http://www.vintageroots.co.uk/Brakspear-Oxford-Gold-Organic-Beer

On special at ASDA, and very tasty – always like a beer when I cook, but now on the Rioja 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

I have a wojtek ready to go too! Who’d have thought the upper echelons and great unwashed drinking the same beverage 🙂

Sainsburies had a load of different ales in so have a 99 red baboons and one with and owl on which the name escapes me.

allthepies
    Free Member

3.5 pint takeout of Hogs Back Summer Ale.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wine, no beer indahouse, all the gins gone too..

Stoner
    Free Member

A couple of bottles of hogs back brewery’s Brooklands gold star on the train home, before im back on my usual tipple of HPA back at my local

rewski
    Free Member

Will look out for the merlin, going to eastBourne beer festival in a few weeks.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Congletons finest export – tasty ale flashheart

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maxray, mine were from Sainsburys as well…! Very impressed with the variety, even if it was from one that’s south of the Moat! 🙂 (don’t tell me you were in Nine Elms, too…!)

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

stiff Hendricks to kick off with here

crispo
    Free Member

Bottle of Brew Dog Dead Pony Club at the moment but going to go out for a Pub tea in a little while so probably a few pints of something Thwaites (most likely wainwright).

stumpy01

Wahoo! Hobgoblin this evening! When the nights start closing in & the temp drops a bit, I do like a nice glass of Hobgoblin!

Also got 2 bottles of red & a crate of lager, plus some fancy crisps & dark chocolate.

My Sis & her husband are visiting, as well as a good mate. There’s a curry sat on the cooker too, just need to do the rice & Naan breads once they arrive!

Houns

Peroni and yes I have fresh lime in it 😡

andycs

2 pints of Black Sheep Progress so far. Got some Batemans Mocha Beer when I get home.

qwerty
    Free Member

1.5 pints of

direct from the brewery, ftw.

😀

singletrackmind

B’stards the lot of you.
    Going on the wagon for abit as been binge drinking a little too much.
    No self control unfortunatly , can make all through the week without a drop , till Friday at 5pm then the flood gates open.
    This is not helped by the fact I have just created a stunning 5% IPA with a truckload of hops, and once past the first 1/2pt it becomes almost addictive.

maxray
    Free Member

No no i was in the warwick branch dontchaknow 🙂

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I have some Dragon Stout that needs drinking– room temp or ‘hot’ as they say in JA

brakes
    Free Member

after a long ride home in the rain, I’m just polishing off a nice bottle of the Wine Society’s Sauvignon Blanc to be followed by a couple of bottles of Lambeth Walk Dark Porter – a new one for me from the By The Horns brewery

Haze

Choice of Holden’s Golden Glow, Tribute, Hobgoblin, Innis & Gunn (Rum finish), Leffe Brune or Bacchus Framboise.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Same range here in That London, Maxray! Good to see them supporting small brewers!

CountZero

There’s a couple of pints of Bath Ales Gem waiting for me over the pub a bit later on. 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

fizzicist
    Free Member

mainstream this evening – Ruddles County, Landlord and London Pride await.

My local (previously excellent) off license got taken over, it’s completely gone to shit. No ales worth speaking of, what there is is stupidly expensive, lots of tasteless fizzy crap (Stella etc) and any decent lager is overpriced.

Pakistani family bought it. I do wonder if the lack of choice or quality is linked to a non boozy culture. if you want dubiously coloured alcopops however….

clunker

Top Totty

ElShalimo

B.A.Nana – Member

Quality !!

Brains SA Gold here
    Will be moving on to the Franziskaner Weissbier soon
    Ran out of crisps already though.. bugger

brakes
    Free Member

fizzicist, why not suggest that they get some ales in? – they sell for a premium and I’m sure their mark-up is similar to the alco-piss they can buy on the cheap.

maxray
    Free Member

For sure cfh. At first I thought it was a seasonal Xmas range and got very annoyed, but at 3 for 4quid maybe I should put some aside for Christmas thinking about it!

The snowy is very palatable btw 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

fizzicist
    Free Member

I’ve suggested it every time I’ve been in there, which is 2-3 times a week! it gets worse every week :o(

noteeth
    Free Member

A pint of Nova Scotia at the Nova Scotia, one of Bristol’s finest establishments, on me way home.

I’ve had an absolutely insane shift at work – the thought of that beer has kept me going.

ononeorange

fizzicist, I salute your excellent beer choice tonight. (Goes all wistful at the thought of Landlord…..).

Tonight, I am making do with a bottle of St Peter’s Red.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Correction…
    Correction..

Correction..

Beer purchased from the co-op, something called ferkin, badgers ferkin or summatlike.

Karma restored (tastes like weak mild)

mamadirt
    Free Member

😛

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Will be moving on to the Franziskaner Weissbier soon

Is that this one?, if so, it was about 95p a bottle at Lake Garda last week

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Beer of the evening’ is closed to new replies.