Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Beer + eBay
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I seem to have bought a bit of Concorde:

So go on, what’s the daftest thing you’ve bought on the spur of the moment?

beefheart
    Free Member

A speedboat that was 250 miles away.

How much was the bit of Concorde?

peterfile
    Free Member

haha! brilliant!

I got a phone call in the pub on a Tuesday evening from an antique watch dealer in London. Apparently I’d won a rather expensive watch in the early hours of the previous Sunday morning. I don’t remember a thing about it.

Worried, I went home and checked my internet history. In addition to “researching” antique watches, I’d also been expanding my knowledge of house prices in the Ardennes. Panic began to set in as I spotted that I’d put a couple of offers in for chalets in the region 😳

I had a number of slightly embarrassing phone calls and emails that week.

I’m not allowed to use my laptop after being out on a Saturday night now.

andyl
    Free Member

Cool!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks like a section of low pressure turbine vanes?.

bencooper
    Free Member

I had a number of slightly embarrassing phone calls and emails that week.

😀

It’s a guide vane, comes right after the combustion chamber to guide the 2000-degree gases onto the turbine. I’d rather not say how much it was…

gogg
    Free Member

It’s a “winning” combination….

kcal

my boss bid for, and bought, a footstool that may or may not have been made and painted by Syd Barrett; Not sure how much he paid for it, judging by the quality of workmanship, “too much” would be default response..

andytherocketeer

I got one from a Sukhoi for free.
    The Russians love handing out that sort of stuff.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Whilst under the influence of not-beer, I bought a PS2 and a load of games which I didn’t remember at all until it turned up. To be fair, I got a lot of use out of it as it turned out to be a pretty good match for my then-lifestyle.

sandwicheater

29er wheels (Stans flow on Hope Pro II). I thought they were 26″ and prompted a 29er build when I had realised.

XBox 360, sold it the next week for a profit.

Lots of sci-fi books. They just turn up at work. Tis like having a book fairy.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d rather not say how much it was…

Too late…I could link the eBay ad if you like 😉

To be fair, whilst it’s a lot for a chunk of metal, it’s reasonable for a lovely, tangible bit of history.

bencooper
    Free Member

That was my thought – you can get turbine blades for not much money, but not with this provenance.

See, still justifying it to myself!

I think we need pics of the Syd Barret footstool 😉

Shorty12
    Free Member

Booked a weekend skiing the other week…student loans a bit short now tho.

Flatmates decided to buy a air hockey table so we each found one on ebay and started bidding and realised we had been bidding against each other.

jamiea
    Free Member

They just turn up at work. Tis like having a book fairy.

Proper LOLs!

I’ve not succumbed to any beer/ebay impulses as yet!

Cheers,
    Jamie

winston_dog
    Free Member

I kicked my ebay+beer habit, but I still have numerous hi fi separates I need to get rid of, old 90’s hifi really used to do it for me.

I have a new problem with Amazon+Beer and s/h books. See something interesting on TV while drinking, google it and then check Amazon for any books on it, buying a lot of books for 1p with £2.80 delivery! The Kindle special deals are also a weakness.

kcal

@bencooper – found it — RHS, about half way down.
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/11121/page1

Callum (incidentally, have belatedly made the connection between you and the sticker on my Kilaeua that was chopped and dropped many years ago..)

brakes
    Free Member

£200?

Jamie
    Free Member

How much was the bit of Concorde?

woody2000

I think it’s safe to say that Syd had a lot of crap!

tthew

Rally prepared Skoda Estelle.

Roll cage, plumbed in fire extingusiher sytem, stripped out interior, twin Webber carbs, straight cut gears. The whole works.

Was made to retract my bid by the fun police when I remembered what I’d done the following morning. My bid would have won by a clear margin too, I think it went for about 650 quid.

binners

I’d been debating a couple of different frames on ebay. An enthusiastic pub visit delivered up to me that moment of clarity and irrefutable logic only a skinfull of wifebeater can

I should get online immediately and buy them both, obviously.

This irrefutable logic was not quite as irrefutable as I’d originally assumed when the second frame turned up

winston_dog
    Free Member

Is this it?

£200!

warton
    Free Member

I bought a box of those jelly fish bait things, which mimicked a dying fish. they used to advertise them on cable in the early hours 15 years ago.

never fished in my life, before or after.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I drunkenly agreed to have a dog. Not from ebay but still.

bencooper
    Free Member

Is this it?

£200!

Stop it, my GF is probably reading this!

No, I didn’t spend £200 on it, I’m not that daft.

It was half price.

andyl
    Free Member

I want one of the seats they put in just before they scrapped it. Black leather (very thin though to save weight) and a BA logo inspired aluminium arm rest.

hora
    Free Member

A Citroen Xsara Picasso 250miles away in Ayr

fivespot
    Free Member

Alcohol and ebay are great if your selling. I get most of the items I put on auction to end late on a Sunday evening. Lots of ‘Keyboarding under the influence of alcohol’ instances to bump prices up 😀

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Had a disastrous journey home a couple of years ago when we got about 4 inches of snow and the country ground to a halt. Had a few beers the next day and decided I definitely needed a 4×4, put in a cheeky bid on one and thankfully just got out bid at the last minute. It hasn’t really snowed since. It would have been a monumental waste of money.

globalti
    Free Member

Never done it but some prat bought my FSA Gossamer crankset last month then claimed he hadn’t bid on it.

The funny upshot of it was that shortly afterwards somebody sent me a PM saying he was in my town and could he collect it? It turned out to be my cycling neighbour three doors away who wanted a newish crankset for a bike he was rebuilding!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I woke up from a very heavy night out in Birmingham the proud owner of £200 worth of BMX. Collection only in From Bath. I live in Tamworth. 😯

LoCo
    Free Member

Favorite was a collegee that bought a Snap on floor standing gumball machine while drunk he wouldn’t tell us how much it was but visably winsded when recalling the event 😆

If you are drunk now, may I direct you to the motorcycle section of Ebay, green kawasaki zx7r 😉

bedmaker

MK2 Golf GTi a couple of years ago. Bit of a shed but not too bad.
    Sold it after a few weeks for a loss of £12 so not too drastic!

rogg
    Free Member

A mate wanted a reliable classic car. Woke up to find he’d placed the winning bid on a Lotus Eclat.

alibongo001

A mate of mine ended up with a holiday for 8 in America.

He also bought a ceramic urinal! – This came in very handy when he built a frame for it and we took it camping in Silverstone for the grand prix!

craig5

Check this mother f****R out super fly hip hop MC playmobil rapper out. You should see the lady Gaga version out. It’s pimp’in.

milky1980
    Free Member

An Audi 80 1.8S.

Only cost £52.12 so not as bad as it could have been, had a £4k Quattro in my watch list!! Kept that car for two years, used it as a bike/winter car. Was actually sad to see it go 🙁

Nick

I bought two Brewdog Shares when I was pissed one night, last boozy purchase was 4 early bird tickets to the Green Man festival this summer 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Beer + eBay’ is closed to new replies.