• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by drew.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • beer – does bottled taste better than draught? and current favourites
  • dti

Does anyone else prefer bottled beer to draught.
    It may be the context (post ride etc,) but it always tastes better from the bottle imho.
    btw current favourites are – in no particular order:
    Montys Sunshine
    Badger Champion
    Innis & Gunn
    Old Henry

ton

no.

magic rock cannonball.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Depends.

Current favourite hard to choose, but most amazing recent taste was a Mikkeler Black Tequila Speyside. 18% or so of Black Imperial. Aged for six months in tequila barrels, then six months in a Speyside whisky barrel. Complex and mad, but sooooo good!

Nice choice, Ton. Is often on tap at my local!

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP you need to find a better pub.

A good draught ****s bottled up the ****.

Granted bottes are more reliable.

darrell
    Free Member

well i dont have much choice here in the arse end of nowhere Norway

but the best bottled UK beer i can get is Spitfire

some very nice local bottled beers as well but all are very strong (ca. 8-9%) and a tad expensive at 7 quid a bottle

ton

flash, lad who brews it is a sweary northerner.
    we had some human cannonball the other week……..a fruity 9.something gravity. 😯

Coyote
    Free Member

Not often I agree with cynic-al but on this he’s spot on. A good draught will always beat bottled.

jodafett

Draught beer/ lager (if looked after) will always be better. Bottled beers are pasteurised for longer than kegs and the pasteurisation process is basically a taste killer. I used to work in a brewery and got drunk on many a night shift on fresh un-pasteurised beer :D. Even Newcastle Brown Ale tasted great when it was fresh!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get used to it pal, it comes to everyone 😎

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to work in a brewery and got drunk on many a night shift on fresh un-pasteurised beer :D. Even Newcastle Brown Ale tasted great when it was fresh!

If that “brewery” was making Dog, it’s no brewery!

I worked here for a while;

Cracking little place!

higgo
    Free Member

Draught and bottled beer are different products and both can be very, very good or very, very bad.

Having said that, it is incredibly rare that I would drink a bottle of beer in a pub with good draught. Maybe the odd bottle of Robinson’s Chocolate Tom?

I am currently fond of Red Willow’s Wreckless.
    http://www.redwillowbrewery.com/our-beers/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Higgo, if said pub had not only amazing draught but also amazing bottles, I reckon you’d try a bit of both! 🙂

jodafett

@CaptainFlash. It was Fountainbridge in Edinburgh. We didn’t brew “dog” but it was tankered up to us for bottling.

Garry_Lager

Draught cannae be beat in general.

Saying that, Butcombe always tastes really good to me in bottles, but I had a rare trip to the West country recently and found it pretty ordinary in the alehouses. You do often get quite divergent tastes between the bottle and the tap.

Some stuff is more suited to bottles – the bolloxology pedalled by Innis and Gunn or Brewdog works better when their ale is bottled.

john_drummer
    Free Member

well i dont have much choice here in the arse end of nowhere Norway

brew your own. Seriously. You need a big pot – 32 litres is a good size; a mesh bag big enough to fit into the pot; a domestic hob; a 23 litre fermenting bin; some grains, hops, yeast, water; some bottles, assorted sundries and one or more suitable recipes. All of this can be sourced online from any number of UK homebrew shops, e.g. http://www.brewuk.com/

recipes and advice from http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk

and in answer to the OP – “it depends”. Bottles are consistent, but never quite have the “mouthfeel” of a good draught. a bad draught, on the other hand, can be disgusting…

aracer
    Free Member

Draught beer/ lager (if looked after) will always be better. Bottled beers are pasteurised for longer than kegs and the pasteurisation process is basically a taste killer.

Are we not talking about bottle conditioned beers if we’re talking about good beer which comes in bottles?

drew

The answer’s got to be no. Any well brewed, well kept beer on hand pump is going to better than the bottled equivalent.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘beer – does bottled taste better than draught? and current favourites’ is closed to new replies.