Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • beeping the swear words in music
  • paul123
    Free Member

Has anyone come across anything that can automatically bleep the swear words out of songs played through Spotify etc.

I’m not talking Straight outta Compton levels just so I don’t have to worry about the kids when playing stuff at home.

Pook

[video]https://youtu.be/VMvraSQEW5w[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ucking with my shi.

(Nice work, Pook!)

maccruiskeen

I’m not talking Straight outta Compton levels

Thank heavens for that

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kf4kyQabwQ[/video]

slackalice
    Free Member

Plaistow Patricia 😉

zippykona

That NWA video was very well done.
    Did anyone hear his Scott Walker doing The Laughing Gnome?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Looks like that answer to your question is: Nope

Soz OP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7zi9Tp5s4[/video]

midlifecrashes

Dunno if they still do it, but when Amazon Music started streaming, it had a habit of replacing the original version with a cleaned up “radio edit”. I seem to remember the internets throwing their shit at the time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I seem to remember the internets throwing their **** at the time.

Radio edit.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

That NWA clip is brilliant 😆

Reminds me of the time I shared my entire music library with the whole family when I somehow set up the sharing thingy on itunes.

You could go old style a la Mark and Lard with a bleep machine.

sharkattack

I thought this was going to be a complaint about censorship or something not asking for advice on how to achieve it.

Do you seriously think that your children don’t know any rude words? Do you think it will mentally scar them if they hear some in a song?

paul123
    Free Member

Seems that way gofasterstripes.

Sorry I’m not as “cool” as you shark attack. Didn’t really want my kids to hear that stuff at 6 and 8 years old. Must be old fashioned I guess!

Oh well, time for my hot chocolate before bedtime

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I think I touched one step on the way down the stairs to snatch my 10 year old daughters ipad off her when I realised I’d shared NWAs greatest hits with her.

maccruiskeen

The trouble with any kind of auto-bleeping software is false positives 🙂

sharkattack

Sorry I’m not as “cool” as you shark attack.

I’ve never been accused of being cool.

Thanks.

johndoh
    Free Member

Shark attack…

It’s not that a child might not have heard a word before, it’s to try to help ensure they don’t think it’s common and acceptable language.

It isn’t rocket science is it?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s not that a child might not have heard a word before, it’s to try to help ensure they don’t think it’s common and acceptable language.

Alright granddad…..

I’m a young thirty year old. I swear all the time.

sharkattack

Get them one of these suits while you’re busy blacklisting pop songs,

slowoldman

Plaistow Patricia

********s *******s ******* ****s and *****s.

Pigface
    Free Member

Flip you melon farmer

johndoh
    Free Member

Alright granddad…..

I’m a young thirty year old. I swear all the time.
    But the OP is asking in regards to children in the house – I couldn’t care less if a 30 year old hears a naughty word, but children shouldn’t be subjected to it, shouldn’t think it is normal.

aracer
    Free Member

I think you need one of these suits:

hypnotoad
    Free Member

May as well just bleep out the whole song…

Or maybe just make a different playlist?

Cougar

I’d have thought content was more pertinent than rude words? If the song is about niggaz and hoes ****ing some **** with their ****sticks then bleeping is a bit of a sticking plaster solution, n’est-ce pas?

ION, there’s an interesting read here from a guy who tried to provide a solution.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I tweeted spotify about this (when i lived in Dalston, of course) as there are loads of albums that only have the beeped version on there. They said it was beyond their control and that they dont sensor anything themselves. Where possible the have both version available. Funny as duck

the-muffin-man

Don’t play sweary music while the kids are in the house?

You wouldn’t stick a slasher horror movie TV on while they were in the room, so why is music different.

FWIW – I’d hate to hear censored music on streaming sites.

Bimbler
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u0YXIuID7k[/video]

stumpy01

Cougar – Moderator

I’d have thought content was more pertinent than rude words? If the song is about niggaz and hoes ****ing some **** with their ****sticks then bleeping is a bit of a sticking plaster solution, n’est-ce pas?

This for me, but it would be nice to also have the ability to skip songs with sweary bits.

I’m surprised there isn’t something in the ‘metadata’ of an mp3 that can’t be used to flag ‘sweary’ or ‘not sweary’.
    It would be simple enough then to have a tick box in apps like Spotify that allows you to ‘skip sweary content’.

I listened to a playlist yesterday that on the surface didn’t appear too sweary & I suppose it wasn’t on the whole. But one song cropped up with repeated use of ‘the N word’, bitches, pussy, ass, deep penetration, dick sucking etc……not really what I want to listen to, or more importantly have my daughter listen to as she grows up.

Edukator
    Free Member

They know all about swearing, it’s used as punctuation in the playground. They also know that those words don’t go down well in the classroom or at home so self censor. Clever things kids. They also know when popular artists are being naughty.

Kids use Youtube anyhow, junior was an Oasis fan at 13 (his dad still is) and loved listening to interviews. I dutifully translated all of it which was an excellent compliment to his sex education. I think properly explaining was best way of making him realise how dumb serial swearers are.

As in society in general, censorship is pretty pointless when its petty morals and perhaps best limited to when it’s propaganda in favour of mass murder.

johndoh
    Free Member

They know all about swearing, it’s used as punctuation in the playground.

What a child does or doesn’t know does not matter. As parents we should be role models – and that means not playing music with bad language on it in just the same way (as stated above) we wouldn’t pop a slasher movie on with the kids in the room.

In my entire life I never heard my mother swear and only on two occasions (which I clearly remember) did I hear my dad swear.

My sister-in-law has (since they were toddlers) not only sworn in front of her kids, but at them too.

I know which role model I want to be to my children…

Cougar

Conversely,

I swear like a trooper, but wouldn’t do it in front of my mother except in exceptional circumstances. And I’m in my 40s.

johndoh
    Free Member

There is that – a few years ago I went back to my mum & dad’s to watch a Leeds v Man U match (as they had Sky Sports). Totally forgetting where I was, I shouted out something like ‘he’s pulling his &^%$£$% shirt!!!’ in front of my mum – I knew as I was saying it that I shouldn’t be saying it but I couldn’t stop the words from coming out 🙂

Mum forgave me 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

not playing music with bad language on it in just the same way (as stated above) we wouldn’t pop a slasher movie on with the kids in the room.

Oh good God! There’s a huge difference between the two.

johndoh
    Free Member

Oh good God! There’s a huge difference between the two.

No there isn’t when considering how an adult should behave in front of a child.

maccruiskeen

I swear like a trooper, but wouldn’t do it in front of my mother except in exceptional circumstances. And I’m in my 40s.

What you’ve got to look forward to, in that case, is when she starts swearing in front of you. It just takes the mention of Winston Churchill in my mums presence and she’s off!

Edukator
    Free Member

Kids need parents who show balanced, measured and tolerant attitudes. Parents who react proportionately.

I think showing mild displeasure at hearing some ranty, gobby, in-yer-face rapper is about as far as I could get. A gratuitously sadistic and murderous movie would get censored. If your kids have a phone you are ****ing into the wind.

johndoh
    Free Member

Edukator – you completely and utterly miss my point. I do not doubt for a minute that children learn all these words as they progress through school and via the internet but our responsibility as adults dictate that we do not openly accept it as normal. Children shouldn’t hear sweary music (with the approval of adults) in the same way the same adults shouldn’t swear in front of them.

GrahamS

I’m completely with you johndoh.

My 5 year old daughter greatly enjoys listening to my “dad music” (which I consider part of her education) but I’m pretty careful on track selection!

the-muffin-man

Edukator – you are missing the point about the slasher movie reference – it’s just an extreme example – you could replace slasher with Luther, Breaking Bad, even Silent Witness etc., all things you wouldn’t watch in front of young children.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘beeping the swear words in music’ is closed to new replies.