Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Been given an expensive bottle of port – drink or re-gift
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I don’t ever remember drinking port before. Love a good drop of red though.

I’ve been given a bottle of Porto Barros 1934

1. Drink it as I’ll never spend the money on one for me again?

2. Re-gift it to someone who’ll appreciate it?

I’ve bought some nice stilton in case I go for option 1. I believe it’s the correct cheese dharrrrrling… 😉

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Keep and drink in winter when wrapping christmas presents. Its a family tradition in our house 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Keep & drink.

You’ll not own another.

piemonster

Gift, to me.

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’d be incredibly annoyed if I gave someone a really good bottle of port and they passed it on.

Drink your gift! Preferably with the person who gave it to you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Develop a taste for it. It’s a delicious drink to have at the end of an evening with friends. Wimminz should be removed from the room of course. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Im pretty certain a 1934 Port will be undrinkable.

I was given a 63 and a 70 for my 50th earlier this year – the guy (who knows his Port) who gave me the 1970 said it was the oldest drinkable Port. It doesnt keep forever.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Have you considered keeping it? My brother’s godfather has bought him a bottle every year since he was born (my brother that is, not his godfather). He’s now got 28 of them and they’re worth a packet!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I was given it by a wine broker – I assume it’s drinkable.

I can’t keep it to Christmas. I’ll be moving to Thailand where there’re massive import duties on booze!

Just decided to host a poker night in a fortnight’s time. I’ll bring it out then.

So, port is richer, stronger red wine?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Develop a taste for it. It’s a delicious drink to have at the end of an evening with friends. Wimminz should be removed from the room of course.

He’s right you know.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or just donate it to Stoner…not sure he has any left. 🙂

WoodyCannondale
    Free Member

Definitely drink it!! I was given a box of Cohiba Esplendidos by someone last year and was in a similar quandary. Not something i’d ever purchase myself. Decided i’d bring them to a family wedding where us menfolk smoked the entire box. Do it for the experience especially if its something you would probably never purchase yourself as it cost you nothing. Life is about experiences after all!

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you do open it I suggest it’s decanted – you can do this through a paper coffee filter – as it willrobably have lots of sediment. It will probably have to be drunk fairly quickly after opening as it will not have the strength to survive long when exposed to the air. I had a 30 year old bottle I decanted 3hrs before drinking and it was awful, my mate subsequently told me old port should be drunk fairly quickly.

I believe Port was created to satisfy the English tastes, some of he famous wines of Bordeaux were created forthe English and when due to wars between France and England the supply was interrupted the English turned to Portugal and Port

When you open it taste and smell it regularly to see how it develops after beng exposed to the air. It should go well with the cheese but try the wine first and the cheese sparingly to begin with, it would be a shame to over power it if it does turn out to be weak (eg a little watery)

Good luck and enjoy the experience

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Been given an expensive bottle of port – drink or re-gift’ is closed to new replies.