Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Been for a bike fit, and had nothing done?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve just read an account of a bike fit for someone I knew. They sounded like they were in the same boat as me. No aches or pains, could ride and race as well as an average rider could and didn’t do time trials. I think they had minor cleat and post adjustment and that’s it. They like me had near perfect pedal stroke, mine was tested by the Watt Bike folks.
    Also like me they’ve been riding and racing a long time and have probably had time to evolve a perfect set up.

So has anyone splashed out and had nothing changed? which I suppose is a good thing and not a waste of money.

Stoner
    Free Member

I went to bike science in bristol and had a few changes. Most substantial was cleat position. Other than that I think flipping the stem on the 29er (+5deg became -5deg) and suggesting an extra 10mm on the stem was about it. So nothing too major. But you expect after 10 years to have some idea of what feels about “right” even if not “perfect”

Usefully though I now have a pdf of my “perfect” SS 29er cockpit so whenever I tweak anything or change a part I can refer to the map and put it in the right place (or not, but in the knowledge that Im changing something on purpose)

gearfreak
    Free Member

Bikefit is a great way of getting money from MAMILS, kind of like video golf swing analysis.

oldgit
    Free Member

They’re a great fast track to a good fit. Though I suppose if you’ve had one because youre a newcomer you are going to need a few as you develop as a rider.

I have seen a bike being set up according to a print out provided and no mater how long you had been riding it looked like all kinds of wrong. I asked the builder if the owner had been given these dimensions so as he could fit into the bike. No this was the size the fitter/shop recommended.
    All I can say 58cm LOOK frame with 90mm stem, and that was just part of it.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry to say, but I’m a complete sceptic. As the OP says, if you’ve been riding for a while you’ll surely have tweaked your position over the years to the point where you know what works for you.

For a newcomer, the “best” position will change as you develop muscle and body mass appropriate to your riding, so you’re going to need to re-fit.

woody2000

No aches or pains, could ride and race as well as an average rider could and didn’t do time trials

Guess it begs the question, why bother then!? 🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’d been mtb-ing for a couple of years, then got into triathlons. Never had a road bike, so had no idea how a road bike position should feel.

So a Bike Science fit, as a half price offer with new bike etc was actually good value. And I’m a big sceptic/tightarse!

I also got a TT/Tri position done, so I can switch positions easily, and it really does make a difference.

But I guess if you are already sorted from years of tweaking and adaptation, then you would expect little change.

footflaps

I got a free bike fit when I bought my last road bike (Scott CR1). After an hour or so of fettling / test rides / stem changes it was all done and I drove home with the bike. Compared it to my existing road bike, which I’d tweaked myself over the years, and it was millimetre perfect the same set up.

iainc

footflaps +1

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I got loads changed during my recent bike fit which took 5 hours!! The difference it has made is amazing – way more aero, better handling etc. I’m on the drops about 99% of the time these days as it feels natural/right, and the bike fits so well that I was sprinting down Col’s in Nice which isn’t something I ever thought I’d do! I think its worthwhile if its a proper fit ie flexibility / injuries etc taken into account.

Here’s what i thought of my fit.

http://pescetarianrevolutions.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/bike-fit-a-whole-lot-more-ooommph-with-no-extra-training

edsbike
    Free Member

I had one done after getting a voucher through work. Lowered my saddle 10mm and adjusted my cleats outboard a little. Turns out I’d already tweaked all the tweakables to get it pretty close over the years.

Although it confirmed my suspicion that with my short arms and torso, the 57cm top tube on my 56cm size bike is too long, so limits the amount of playing around that could be done with saddle position and stem.

So, I got some value from it, but glad that I didn’t have to pay for all £140 of it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had one done because of a new build I had done by Parlee. I bought a Z5SL and they needed measurements and all that..ting.
    Having ridden for years on a roadie I know pretty much instinctively what feels right and I can grab and allen key and set up a bike, any bike, to my satisfaction within a few minutes.
    Before the Parlee I had an Orca, that was a nice bike, I didn’t take t instantly mind found I couldn’t settle and kept sliding forwards whilst doing a “Gilbert” so I changed the stem to 110mm (from 100mm, which is normally what I use) and all well and good, made me stretch out a bit more and perfect.
    So having measured the Orca up I then went for a fitting down at Primera Cycles in B’mth and to my amazement I was bang on to those measurements I’d taken.
    Anywhoo’s as I now had a printout confirming my results, I sent that to Parlee and in return they sent me my bike, and it fits like a glove, don’t really know I’m riding it apart from tired legs.
    I’d say if you are getting something bespoke built, get a fit done, if you are new to roadies, get one done, if you ache on your MTB it could be worth getting one done.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Been for a bike fit, and had nothing done?’ is closed to new replies.