Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Been away for a few years so looking at a new bike penny for your thoughts?
  • Wookster

So not ridden an MTB in Three plus years, in the time I’ve managed to get very sick, gain 40kgs get better, change my perspective on life. Start to Diet properly and exercise!

So I’d like anew MTB I sold my pride and joy when ill daft choice but hey ho it wasn’t being ridden at all.

I live in the south so twisty trails single track stuff I like, I don’t want to jump (unless it’s a surprise!!) and yeah I’m heavy ( getting lighter but I’m heavy so a HT or F/s I want a bike I can pedal too though so xl or longer L size wise?? 2k macadamia it’s a saver upper and a hit sub 115 kg prize

Bregante

Where to start?

26″ (limited), 27.5″, (+ ?) or 29″?

Everything has changed. It’s all hover Bikes now. 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Buying a German direct marketed bike will get you better spec for half the money. Compare say an FSR Comp (even reduced as they are at the mo) with say a Radon Slide from Bike Discount. De.

mjsmke

Narrow it down a bit… Are you looking for a lightweight XC racy style bike or more of a fun/comfy more capable bike?

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike! 😀

(Yes, really.)

wallop

What was the pride and joy that you sold?

Wookster

Sorry! Right prob 27.5 or 29er. I just want a trail bike really so swoopy single track in the trees so Fun comfy bike, but not over kill, so a bit of inbuilt safety but not so much that it kills me!! I loved my Five but it was too much for my day to day stuff, my pride and joy was an Epic, great bike I so enjoyed riding it, but could have done with either more skill or travel from time to time!! I do t want to go as XC as that though.

I mm too big for a Soul, a new five ( as in a 27,5 not 26) is outside budget. I’ve looked at direct sales, might be worth a shout?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d get this.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral/spectral-al-7-0-ex.

They have red in stock in large.

Wookster

Cool thanks mate I’ll have a look.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Bird arris.

wiggles
    Free Member

Camber?

Not quite as XC as the epic but similar feel with a bit more travel and slacker angles.

nwill1
    Free Member

2nd hand 26″ Fives are coming up almost mint with great kit for circa £1200/£1400 regularly worth considering if you loved you old one…at that price could get it a reasonable weight to with some pimp wheels etc.

If you fancy a HT new Solaris or Stanton Sherpa both 29″ but also take 27.5+, again circa £1500 for a mint 2nd hand build.

For something a little more agro maybe Stanton Switchback 27.5″ very very nice bikes.

Or some of these bikes direct YT/Bird etc…there really is sooo much choice…sorry probably haven’t helped.

P.S. I have an Orange Five and Stanton Slackline both 26″ both ace and I reckon if you shop carefully 2nd hand you’d get both for £2.3k, HT & FS Covers all possible bases…sorry I’ve gone way OT!

cheekyget
    Free Member

Get a fatbike!

(Yes, really.)

+1……I get mine next week……these bikes in theory should be a great choice for you, the big tyres act as a full sus, you work that bit more harder to pedal….so you’ll get fitter
    And best of all
    They are FUN

m360
    Free Member

There’s a lot of sales on at the moment, so I’d be shopping those for a HT with the best spec for my money.

Or, because 26″ is currently taking a break and 9 speed is dead, check out the second hand market for loads of bargains 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was going to say stumpy evo until your comment on the epic – easy after that, buy a camber evo. Sounds a perfect fit.

CheesybeanZ

Whyte T-129 , apparently Edinburgh bikes are having a sale soon on the 2015 stoke .

chakaping
    Free Member

Tough brief and I think a lot of the replies here are glossing over the weight issue.

I really like 29ers but at 18 stone you’d need some seriously stiff wheels if you got one, as lighter ones can be prone to flexing.

Also big wheels can be less of an advantage in tight twisty singletrack, so maybe 650b wheels would suit you better all round.

On the hardtail tip the Cotic Bfe and Bird Zero should both be solid enough, especially if you can spec a Pike.

And the first FS that springs to mind is the Nukeproof Mega TR – which has an exceptionally solid frame for a 130mm bike and I think comes in big sizes. A Pike would be better than the Revelation they come with though.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d consider buying one of these now…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-mega-tr-275-rockshox-monarch-2014/rp-prod106879?utm_content=CS3_UK_09_08_15_frames_mtb&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ENG_09_08_15_frames_%281%29

Plus a set of Superstar Tech 4 wheels with the DS25 rims which are on offer today for £140 (code: tech4aug)

Then maybe wait for decent offers on a Reverb, the new 11sp XT groupset, a Pike and the other bits and bobs. Should come out well under budget with a cracking spec.

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a 2016 whyte 905 in xl, I test rode a 2015 905 xl and it all just felt right, might be worth a look

Cost £1599

Wookster

Thanks for the advice all. I’ve thought of a 27.5 HT. might be the way to goI Like the TR’s. Camber seems like a good shout but are the Avid brakes still a nightmare to bleed, and wells but pants???

instanthit
    Free Member

I have a medium Camber Evo for sale, this years model only five rides so immaculate condition. Has to be sold sadly. £1500. i am in Devon. Email in profile if your interested.

Wookster

Hi mate Medium is far too small In afraid!

johni
    Free Member

Canyon, Rose and YT Capra were all on my list for similar requirements.

I went with the Capra AL1 in the end.

Wookster

Capra is nice but too much travel @160mm mate Shane good spec!

hxjohn
    Free Member

On-One 45650B is worth considering if you go down the HT route.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650X5/on-one-45650b-sram-x5-mountain-bike

mafiafish
    Free Member

Norco Sights are going pretty cheap in Evans’ sale at the moment. Loved my Shinobi and a friend in BC loves his sight carbon by all accounts.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Been away for a few years so looking at a new bike penny for your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.