Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Been awarded a KOM on Strava but it can't be real.
  • luffy105
    Free Member

Rode the bottom half of the dalby red run this morning and was really pushing myself on the downhill sections and expected to set a few PR’s but having uploaded the ride from my Bryton, Strava has awarded me a KOM for a small downhill section towards the end.

Now I was going for it and am sure I rode it the fastest I ever have but I can’t believe I have done it the quickest. What can I do? I don’t want to delete the ride as I am pleased with it and use strava to measure my performance (not compete for kom’s)

Maybe it is genuine and I got lucky but I am a fat bugger and not a ‘pro’ rider. This can be a benefit on the downhills though.

…or am I just overreacting, no one will give a crap and just let it be?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Nailed it.

dabble
    Free Member

thinly veiled attempt at humble willy waving 😉

Enjoy it 8) , no doubt you’ll get an email soon saying you’ve been knocked off the top of the list, thats when you’ll start to care! 😈

mrmo
    Free Member

look at the segment, look at the performance tab, does it look reasonable? If so don’t worry, if not don’t worry. Depends on how long the segment is, short segments are a waste of time as the errors/sample rates on GPS devices make a mockery.

If someone is that bothered let them flag it.

luffy105
    Free Member

Genuinely isn’t willy waving…

and I really couldn’t give a monkeys about getting knocked off. I only compete against my mate who I do all my riding with. It’s all about beating him 🙂 as for the rest I don’t care who does what really. I ride for fun and escapism, not results.

tmb467
    Free Member

Basically Strava relies on an inaccurate GPS and has an inherent inbuilt inaccuracy

Take the KOM and be proud

dabble
    Free Member

then lord it over your mate that you got a KOM, just for laughs like.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If it’s genuine then well done but if dodgy why would you be bothered about deleting it?

luffy105
    Free Member

Muppet wrangler, because I use strava to keep track of rides and distances for my own info. Plus I am chuffed that I got al lot of personal records. That’s all really.

seadog101

Quite chuffed to see a KOM awarded to me too…..

However, I seem to be the fastest out of two people 🙄

chrisdw
    Free Member

I have 1. Shame its only out of 9 people and pretty much everyone below me is a girl.

I am proud of my 9th out of 1400 tho!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Talking to a guy today who has done a day comparing times from Strava with those for the same DH section with a Freelap riding system and the degree of variance and inaccuracy was up to 20%. On a road ride last Thursday, I was riding the wheel of my mate up a hill and then went past him with about 50m to the summit. I think I would have put around 10 seconds on him and yet his strava time for that section is 10 seconds quicker than mine.

It’s all rubbish.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you want you can raise a ticket with their support and ask them to unmatch the segment on that ride. Done that many times for dodgy GPS (pretty much any KOM I get is guaranteed dodgy GPS 😀 ). Really wish they’d just put a button on the site though to let you do that yourself. You can hide the segment yourself but it doesn’t remove you from the leaderboard. If that bothers you.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Got a QOM on my commute to work on friday – but it was blatantly an error, it clocked me doing 44+mph through a sheffield side street as I came into town. I was wrapped up in loads of waterproofs and really wasnt going for it

number18
    Free Member

I’m going to start using Strava at some point. If you log a route does it automatically compare you to all segments posted by other people on that route? Or do you have to search for segments on your route and opt in to comparing?

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you make your ride public it will automatically match the segments and stick you on the leaderboards for them. Sometimes even mismatches and you end up on something nearby you didn’t actually do 😉

If someone adds a new segment in the future you’ll be automatically added to that also.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They all count!

richmtbguru
    Free Member

I think your doing the right thing in reporting it to strava IF you genuinely think you haven’t earned it by a genuine time, there is a lot of inaccuracy with strava and also cheats by using the digital epo and it’s really disheartening having a kom taken off you because of one of the mentioned ways, I have well over 100 koms now and it rises every time I go out on the bike, but occasionally I’ll get that dreaded email saying someone’s knocked me off which if you had a look at my record you’d know they must have cheated to do this! I just report it to strava and 9 times out of 10 I’m back in my deserved place 🙂
    Anyway, good to here your using strava, it will push you to be a better all around athlete. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

if you had a look at my record

Can we have a look at your Strava profile then?

andytherocketeer

around here, the previous KoM holder would be out on the bike at 7am tomorrow am just for an out and back, going hell for leather to win it back (or crouching down on a moped trying to force the throttle grip past the end stop to get every last 0.1km/h out of it).

I’d let them do that first 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Me and a mate locally trade the lead on segments – got one back yesterday with the strong tail wind! He took a couple off me on Boxing Day last year when there were insane winds, I’ll never get close.

This is why Strava isn’t necessarily indicative of ultimate performance, it’s great fun though!

And I do want to see richmtbguru’s profile, so I can be in awe.

bland

Are you by any chance on the same time as about 600 others on that 6 second segment?

nick1962
    Free Member

I was lucky to get a top 50 and certainly never had a KOM until I signed up for a skills course with richmtbguru.My riding is now on another level.The trail really comes alive every time I ride now and am pleased to say those top 50s have now nearly all become top 10s with a couple of KOMs too.Cheers rich ur the real deal.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d leave it on there as it’ll annoy the many out there who do seem to give a crap.

If you really are worried about it then you can always trim the end off your ride using the editor thing.

tomaso
    Free Member

A long bad day at work and gale force winds earned me my only road KOM. I was spinning out top gear as the wind pushed me along 🙂 It took two months for some people with real legs to legitmatly take the KOM.
    Who said life is fair muhuhuhahahah 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you don’t think you ‘deserve’ the kom make the ride private. Or just DEPO every ride and become komtastic.

A kom means absolutely nothing so don’t lose any sleep over it.

grahamt1980

Richmtbguru = surfmatt?
    You are awesome

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Been awarded a KOM on Strava but it can't be real.’ is closed to new replies.