Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Beefy FS – cross country / trail use
  • mrmoofo

I’m thinking about going back to FS – after two tries at it (Trek Y11 way back when) and an Orange Patriot. I didn’t love the experience so went back to HT.
    However I’m big – 6ft 3 inches and the wrong side if 130 kgs. I am working on latter – and cycling a bit more to burn some lard. But I am also old – and as much as I love hard tails, I’m not sure HTs love me …

So I want a chunky FS bike – I don’t want coil springs as they only work for normal sizes
    And I’m old skool – so have no problems with a 26er

Currently have a Bfe and a Solaris … which I obviously need to ride more 😀

I liked the idea of the Codeine – but not the 1×10 only ….

What say you lot?

chiefgrooveguru

Banshee Spitfire – pedals really well, very strong and stiff, runs 26 or 27.5 (swappable dropouts and adjustable geometry) – and more importantly is just massively awesome fun!

Northwind

Remedy 29 would be worth a look- stupidly good bike

mrmoofo

TBH – the Banshee was on the list – I was also looking at Transition stuff – but short top tube isn’t ideal …

Northwind

You need to go one size up with the Covert 29, don’t know about the Bandit but they screwed up the Covert sizing somehow.

mrmoofo

I don’t think they do an XL Bandit ….

mattjg
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let 1×10 stop me buying what I want – try it on one of your HTs first if you’re concerned.

crouchingpig
    Free Member

30T ring 1×10,
    should winch you up most things I’d of thought!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

What about the Turner Sultan? It’s pretty much made for people of your *ahem* stature, right?

toys19
    Free Member

I love my covert.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

A 2013 commencal meta AM 29er? 40-50% off if bought from
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=2167091

nuke

If its xc/trail, I’d say Kona Process 134

Olly
    Free Member

In true singletrack stylee, buy the bike ive got:

really very light for what it is, and the maestro means it pedals like a hardtail, while descending like a bit of a monster.
    also, giants are often found at ridiculous prices. There was a whole reign2 (brand new, from a proper shop and everything) going for £1100 a short while back. Might still be around but i doubt it at that price

(mine replaced a Patriot66 “big bike” and a trance “xc bike” as a “one bike to rule them all)

mrmoofo

The Meta looks interesting …
    Giants looks good – but they always used to have short top tubes … is that still the case?

Olly
    Free Member

you would have to look at the Sizing chart as its all relativce.

im 6’4″, and ordered my frame on the understanding it was a 20″ from america. (trance was a 21″, patriot an 18″) It ended up a 19″ (if i had known i would have just bought a cotic rocket), but i still run a 70mm stem. (then again, im all legs)

mrmoofo

I can’t find any cheap Reigns around ….

Banshee gets a little bit of bad press because of the use of bushings ….

sprocker
    Free Member

New links on the banshee now so bearings not bushings. I have just ordered a phantom with 105mm rear and 67.5 ha which may suit you, they do an xl to.

mrmoofo

Spocker – thanks, off to look. What is the difference between a phantom and spitfire

chiefgrooveguru

Some of the older Banshees had bushings which were a maintenance and reliability nightmare – lots of knackered frames!

The KS-link Banshees are all definitely on proper sealed bearings – that’s the Prime, Spitfire v2, Rune v2 and Phantom. The older Spitfire and Rune were shorter travel than the new ones.

The Prime is a 29er alternative to the Rune – 130mm rear vs 160mm rear travel.

The Phantom is a 29er alternative to the Spitfire – 105mm rear vs 140mm rear travel.

They’ve all got adjustable geometry so you can move the angles +/-0.5 deg and the BB height +/-6mm and are compatible with various rear axle standards. The Rune & Spitfire can also run 27.5 wheels which makes them even faster downhill in the rough and a little quicker uphill too (at the expense of some manoeuvrability – you never get something for nothing with bikes!)

Spitfire v1 (bushings – note the rocker actuating the shock):

Spitfire v2 (bearings – shock driven directly by rear triangle:

sprocker
    Free Member

Far more detailed explanation from the cheif makes me feel a bit lazy

mrmoofo

Thanks

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

New Trances if you are into 27.5?

camber evo?

shredder
    Free Member

Hows about a Mega TR
    [/url]2014-05-17 12.35.34 by rlockwood64, on Flickr[/img]

rickon
    Free Member

Orange five29 fits your requirements. Beefy, solid, almost as simple as a hardtail and just a right hoot.

[Img]http://twentynineinches.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/1-ORANGE-Five29.jpg[/img]

mrmoofo

I don’t want another orange TBH. Had the Patriot – it was ok. I wanted to love it – but never did.

And when you pedal it pogos like a bastard !
    I think the single pivot design works better with lighter riders …

jam-bo

I know it’s an orange but I’m well impressed with my st4. It’s like the fives unloved little brother and as a result is dirt cheap s/h. 100mm linkage driven single pivot on the back, long, and reasonably slack with 140 fork. Mines built up to just under 30lbs.

swanny853

Having had a meta am 29 for a couple of weeks I can say so far that I am enjoying it. With the exception of the cable routing, which is a massive pain.

The 26 is good too, although comparing with a friend who has it suggests that getting the ctd boost valve shock is a worthwhile upgrade. He doesn’t have it, I do, he wants it.

If it helps, they’re quite short of top tube. I have a medium Solaris which feels quite long and the large meta is comparable, even a touch shorter.

mrmoofo

Internal cable routing ( having had the orange ) is not one of my great loves – other then “making it look better”, everything else is a disadvantage …

Northwind

I decided, on balance, that I should have raved more about the Remedy 29. It is stupendously good in the expensive 9 version, easily the best allround bike I’ve ridden. Took a ridiculous amount of self control to not just buy one.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why do you need a ‘beefy’ bike for XC/trail use? Surely something lighter and more XC orientated would be just the ticket?

Not sure how they’ve sized the covert wrong. I’ve got a medium, as usual, and it’s fine. I’ve read people complain about its TT length, It’s a short bike, but intended to be so, so upsizing just means you’re doing away with the ‘Covertness’ Transition intended. But I’d say out of the Transition stable the Bandit is more suited to the OPs needs.

br
    Free Member

6ft 3 inches and the wrong side if 130 kgs

Just because you are heavy doesn’t mean you need a heavy bike, but you will need a strong one.

And using the usual approach (Strong, Light, Cheap – pick two), whatever you buy I’d probably be adding an aftermarket set of wheels that are up to the job – ie more spokes, DH aimed rims etc.

And for sizing, focus on arm/leg length rather than height.

Lester
    Free Member

a bit left field
    i have an XL Ventana El Capitan 29er full suss, Ventana have a good name and make great bikes. Mind you i only have the frame you would have to build it up yourself, but im selling the frame very cheaply.
    pm me if interested 🙂

VanHalen

Go 29er if you are tall and, um, large…

Did you patriot have a decent shock? Oranges need lots of compression damping to make them work. I really liked my patriot but not with the crap shock that I ran for years.

rickon
    Free Member

I decided, on balance, that I should have raved more about the Remedy 29.

Although we disagree on this one, as i really didnt like the Remedy 29, i think its actually a really good shout for the OP.

It feels more XC oriented, but is still a very well built and strong frame. The only problem for the OP would be the price.

mrmoofo

Go 29er if you are tall and, um, large…

Did you patriot have a decent shock? Oranges need lots of compression damping to make them work. I really liked my patriot but not with the crap shock that I ran for years

Yeah, I know. The proportion thing makes a lot of sense …
    But they do feel like you are riding a bulldozer …

Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

Not sure how they’ve sized the covert wrong. I’ve got a medium, as usual, and it’s fine. I’ve read people complain about its TT length, It’s a short bike, but intended to be so, so upsizing just means you’re doing away with the ‘Covertness’ Transition intended.

The 29er’s sized smaller than the 26er, though- I ended up having a nice chat with Lars about it when I was thinking of getting one and he said most people need to go up one size on the 29.

mrmoofo

Just looked at the Nukeproof Mega – it seems to be chunky in weight.
    The Banshee looks good, as the Meta
    The Orange, I will pass on. I had one , time to try something new
    Also like the look of the Remedy

Anyone had experience of the Codeine?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Beefy FS – cross country / trail use’ is closed to new replies.