Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Beefing up xt m8000 brakes
  • bigthorn
    Free Member

I am going to Alps this year, and being fat and lacking much ability I thought of buying some saint m820 calipers to replace the XT ones on the m8000 set up I’ve got. Is this a case of just swapping them over and off you go?

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Yeah should work.

You’ll be fine with XT calipers though so I wouldn’t waste the money.

bigthorn
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with XT calipers though so I wouldn’t waste the money.[/quote]

Not been before so wasn’t sure about this

chakaping
    Free Member

Can you get bigger rotors instead? Or are you on 203mm ones already?

stompweaver

I’m a big lad and have been to the Alps plenty of times with XT brakes and never had a problem. Shimano Ice-Tech 203mm front disc and 180mm rear, genuine Shimano sintered Ice-Tech pads (the ones with the fins) and a flush through with fresh fluid see’s me right each year.

bigthorn
    Free Member

Have 203 on front 180 rear and am 17 stone was worried I might cook them

jam-bo

Drag your brakes less then 8)

bigthorn
    Free Member

[/quote] Drag your brakes less then

I think you might be right that’s why I said this

being fat and lacking much ability

stompweaver

We’re roughly the same weight then and I’ve always been fine. Saints would give you more stopping power but I’ve honestly not felt like I’ve ever needed that. Make sure you use genuine Shimano pads and discs and that the brakes have fresh fluid in them and I doubt you’ll have a problem. There’s a reason why all my group of friends that ride in the Alps all use XT or SLX brakes, we’ve all had fade/problems with other brands in the past.
    Aftermarket pads don’t dissipate heat as well and will wear your discs out faster. Don’t skimp, it’s not worth hobbling your brakes to save a couple of quid. Ask me how I know…

shortyj15

Yes big rotors, vented organic pads with a fresh bleed should see you right.

bigthorn
    Free Member

Ok cheers will save my money for a couple more beers ( though only a couple if prices are everything I’ve heard) 🙂

stompweaver

I’ve always had better results with sintered pads, better bite, less effort, no fade & longer life. I’ve had organics over heat and fade alarmingly in the past.

Those beers will taste even better after a day in the mountains 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Beefing up xt m8000 brakes’ is closed to new replies.