Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Beefing up a garage door.
  • ajantom

Looks like we’re moving into a new place with a garage 8)
    A proper workshop/mancave at last! However, it’s got a relatively flimsy looking metal up and over door. What can be done (short of replacing it, which I probably will at some point) to make it more secure?
    I’m thinking some sort of ground anchor and padlock combo at the bottom, screwed into the concrete?

wwaswas

I’ve got 4 of these on my garage door;

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5qd-_1JC8[/video]

they’re very good.

Del

where too Tom?
    given it’s unlikely to be the bronx, a bit of baton you can drop across each top corner will likely be plenty. you just have to stop them peeling the bottom up to free the top.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajantom

Staying in Ottery.
    All moving a bit quickly – put the house on the market last Wednesday, had an offer of the asking price on Saturday. Then saw a house on Tuesday and had our offer accepted last night! Boom, we’re moving!

allthepies
    Free Member

Fit bolts low down each side like in the vid above.

petrieboy

Have you got an other access? I’d be very reluctant to put ANYTHING visible from the outside as it just screams “good stuff in here” to the scrotes.
    If you’ve got another door then waswaswases locks (or indeed normal shoot bolts) in the corners but without drilling the door would be useful.

scaredypants

All moving a bit quickly – put the house on the market last Wednesday, had an offer of the asking price on Saturday. Then saw a house on Tuesday and had our offer accepted last night! Boom, we’re moving!

I’d keep those fingers crossed for a good while yet

mogrim

When I bought the house the garage came with an up-and-over with a couple of decent locks at the bottom. Then some scrote decided to try and get in a couple of years ago – tell-tale marks around the centre of the door at the top where they’d tried to pop the lock…

I’ve since run a chain (inside) about 15cm down from the top of the door, running horizontally from an eyelet bolt on one side, through a couple of rings I’ve fixed to the door on each side, through another eyelet on the other side, then padlocked to itself. The eyelets are siliconed into the garage wall. It’s not ideal, but will stop anyone simply bending the top of the door if they’ve managed to pop the top catch. The chain runs close enough to the door that you can’t use a bolt cropper on it from the outside.

I did consider batons, but the door’s set into a concrete frame and there’s no way to use them. They would be more convenient than my solution, although the chain’s pretty easy to remove.

Edit: the chain’s pretty noisy in use, not sure how much of a consideration that is to you.

wwaswas

mogrim – that’s why I’ve got those bolts at the top and bottom of the door – it stops someone folding it over too easily.

allthepies
    Free Member

So you can’t open the door from the outside without removing the chain ?

mogrim

mogrim – that’s why I’ve got those bolts at the top and bottom of the door – it stops someone folding it over too easily.

That would be a better solution, but I couldn’t see an easy way to add them to the top of my door: its structure doesn’t seem to lend itself to adding bolts at the top.

mogrim

So you can’t open the door from the outside without removing the chain ?

Nope. But then the top lock is broken anyway (you can open it from the inside, just not with a key from the outside), and I’ve got a side door from the garden which is easy to use.

ajantom

I’d keep those fingers crossed for a good while yet

Spoilsport 😉
    We’re hoping it all goes smoothly, though or course anything can happen. The good thing is that our buyers are cash, and the house we’re looking to buy has tenants in who are moving out at the end of April, so no chain to speak of. Both sales are through the same Estate Agents, and we know the Estate Agent quite well, and he’s actually a nice guy!

vorlich
    Free Member

Working on this myself too. I bought some of those £5 Halfords D-locks and armoured cable locks that were on offer to beef mine up from the inside without needing to actually modify the door itself.

Got some steel eyelets to fix to the inside frame as anchor points. It’s not ideal, but it’s an improvement on what was there before. I think the main issue is the rails need adjusting, as the door pops out occasionally, I’ve just not got around to sorting them properly.

project
    Free Member

get 2 lengths of 1 inch square tune, bolt through front of door through bar and nuts on the inside, stops door being bent upwards and outwards, just beaware the extra weight may over come the spring mechanism so wege it up with a plank of wood when inside.

Minimal bolts on outside, and a curtain on any windows, shed alarm, and security light outside, metal grills on inside of windows.

Pontless fiteng garage door restrictor easily removed witrh a spade and dont do what a customer did bolt the thing down into block paving, thieves just removed 2 bricks and threw it away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Beefing up a garage door.’ is closed to new replies.