Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Beef stew recipes please.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Simple, tasty, not overly fattening please. Slow cooker ones are good.

binners

Delia’s beef goulash is a personal favourite in the slow cooker. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

luuuuuurverly

Hairychested
    Free Member

Goulash is my wife’s premier dish, once a week it’s lovely 🙂

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Cut its horns off and wipe its arse..

Job done.

majk
    poppa
    Free Member

Brown the meat properly. That will make a huge difference to any slow-cooked beef stew.

llama

lets be ‘aving you:

chilli

mmmmm beer

derek_starship
    Free Member

Here’s a tip :

Sorry.

Seriously now – add half a dozen splashes of dark soy sauce. It makes stew even more lovely.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m liking the above suggestions, how will they go along my “need to lose 5 inches from my waistline in 2 weeks” thread I don’t know. Keep them coming, please.

mogrim

I’m liking the above suggestions, how will they go along my “need to lose 5 inches from my waistline in 2 weeks” thread I don’t know. Keep them coming, please

Chili and stew aren’t necesarily that fattening, after all they’re basically meat+veg+beans – nothing wrong with any of those. Depends really on how fatty the meat is you’re using, and how much oil you chuck in if you’re going to brown it first.

Cougar

Low fat = loads of veg, n’est-ce pas?

atlaz
    Free Member

I tend to follow the same approach for most but it’s a fairly traditional bourguignon recipe. Get big chunks of bacon/lardons, fry in a big pan until the fat is rendered, take out the bacon, leave the fat in. Get BIG lumps of beef (small ones are pointless), give a light coating of seasoned flour then brown in the bacon fat (add light veg oil if needed). Once all done, back in with the bacon, throw in some shallots or onion (again, big pieces or whole if you’re using shallots), herbs, salt and pepper then about half a bottle of red wine. Add in some stock, shove the lid on and let it cook slowly for a few hours. Towards the end lob in some mushrooms and spuds and you’re done. For extra fat content, I like to mix in a lump of butter just before serving. Tastes nice but not compulsory.

You can vary the meat, veg and what you use to create the sauce (beer, just stock, beer and coffee etc) depending on what you’ve got around.

ocrider

In a deep, heavy pan
    Brown the meat in butter, take it out
    Put in 2 sliced onions, cook in the juice til transluscent, if need be add more butter.
    Put meat back in and add 1 1/2 bottles of any decent Belgian dubbel or tripel.
    Add a handful of red fruit (redcurrents/cranberries/lingonberries)

Cover and leave on a low heat for EVER!

Boil spuds.

Eat.

vinnyeh

Fry an onion and clove of garlic in a large frying pan over a low heat til softened, then put into the casserole dish
    Fry about a pound of cubed beef in the frying pan, until browned.
    Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, 150ml of red wine, 150ml of beef stock, 1tbsp of chopped basil, and a dozen olives. Bring to the boil, then immediately transfer to the casserole.
    Stir and cover, then cook at 180 for 1 1/4 hours
    Add a courgette and a red pepper chopped into large chunks, cover, and cook for another 15 minutes.
    Slice a ciabatta up thinly, spread with pesto or tapenade and some grated cheese, arrange the slices on top of the casserole, then return to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes uncovered.
    Sprinkle with a bit more fresh basil when you serve it.

This is an old Brian Turner recipe, slightly hacked, but it’s bloody lovely. Built in veg, nice with mash or boiled spuds, but if you’re trying to lose weight then it’s great on it’s own.
    Family favourite here.

mogrim

vinnyeh that sounds good!

daveyclayton
    Free Member

If you use cheap cuts of meat they take longer to cook, because they have more connective tissues, collagen etc which takes longer to break down, but adds greatly to the meaty flavour, bones also. Don’t know if beef on the bone in available much in the UK still. Shin beef is my favourite.

Shin beef, chopped onions, celery, carrot and potato. Rosemary and thyme.

Dust the meat in a bit of flour and english mustard powder, salt and pepper, then brown. Fry the onions too if you want.

Pile it all in a casserole with a pint of water. Stick it in the oven at 200 for 20 mins then turn down and cook it all day a low heat, by which time the veg will melt in your mouth, beef will crumble apart and the gravy will be rich, dark brown and unctious. Delish.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m running out of saliva. Keep them coming, make me even hungrier 😀

BigJohn

3 main ingredients for me – a cheap cut of beef, lots of onions, lots of carrots. A parsnip too will make it sweeter.

Sometimes I brown the meat, sometimes I don’t – it’s nice both ways. I think if you don’t get it too hot at the start it helps to tenderise the meat.

I often add a smidge of worcester sauce or fish sauce, or soy, but I never add tomatoes or wine. Just water.

Cook a long time at a very low heat. Let it rest then heat it up again.

Cooroo
    Free Member

I chuck in whatever’s lying around – carrots, onions and celery without fail, but parsnips, turnips, whatever. Bit of beef stock. Worcester sauce.

Always tastes better next day.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Beef stew recipes please.’ is closed to new replies.