Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Beech kitchen, dark worksurface – what colour flooring?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Kitchen units are beech, work surface is some sort of dark black speckled stuff.

What colour should the floor be? Beech or will that be beech overkill.

Also what colour would you tile the walls?

Floor is more important though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ours is close, light oak. Dark quartz worktop ( better than granite) with dark floor tiles with a very subtle metallic flake in them

IMG_0701 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_0707 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Floor us still partly wet in the pics

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Dark to contrast the units would be my call, beach on the floor as well would be a bit OTT. Wall tiles could be pretty much any colour you wanted with that colour scheme.

igm

Floor – Slate
    Wall – Hmmm… cream maybe

neilthewheel

Dark floor, whatever you do – unless you want to have to mop it every day for the rest of your life.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Other direction

IMG_0710 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

We went for stronger colours. The main Walls are a retro yellowy-green. One person said we were ‘brave’ to use those colours, but we specifically wanted to avoid neutral colours as that’s what everyone has. :). We think it’s come out better than we ever could have hoped. I installed the units and appliances myself. It’s not hard. Worktop is a pro job, as is the tiling

Xylene
    Free Member

What is the floor made from?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, as to can see, no tiles in the whole room. 100mm upstands to match the worktop, plus extension including the windowledge.
    Job has a custom sized SS splashback, £45 ish off the Internet somewhere.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Floor is porcelain tiles that look like a modern slate. Smooth finish though ad we needed to stand a table and chairs on it and don’t want them rocking. £600 for the tiles alone.

pjbarton
    Free Member

As a rule of thumb, keep planes the same. Floor and tops especially. Units and tops in wood or units and floor looks ott. The other issue would be the ‘nearly not quite’ mismatch issues of different woods

Xylene
    Free Member

My walls are shocking so the tiling will cover the worst of it up

tonyplym
    Free Member

Rubber floor tiles work really well in a kitchen – I went for a nice bold “Pacific Blue” and am well pleased with the result (easy to clean, really hard wearing, warm underfoot). Not easy to fit though – I would advise against DIY as the waterproof epoxy adhesive used to stick them down means you only get one chance to get it right, and mistakes will be expensive (and very difficult to put right).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had to knock a stud wall out of that room, so it was all plastered and new electrics installed at the same time.
    Hence perfect Walls and not needing tiles. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Double post

sslowpace
    Free Member

We have a black granite worktop with very dark grey porcelain floor tiles. Looks great against walnut cabinets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Beech kitchen, dark worksurface – what colour flooring?’ is closed to new replies.