Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bedford/Milton Keynes Area……Wots it like for Life and Biking
  • jeznewsome
    Free Member

As an honorary Northener I have lived in Lancs for all of my working life (20+ yrs). There is a potential opportunity of a job in the Bedford area.

Not being one to live for work I would like to know what MTBing there is in the local area (and any other fun stuff). We are well served with local MTBing in the hills where we are now, with easy access to the Lakes, West yorks, Dales etc.

It is the outside work stuff that is worrying me about the move.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well the good news is that granny rings and brake pads last a lot longer 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Woburn and Chicksands are probably the nearest places. I love Woburn, loads of short fun dh/jump trails and there’s also miles of flattish singletrack if that’s your thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayak23

Yeah Woburn and chicksands are great, also Aston hill not far. Not too sure about xc stuff but there is some for sure. Milton fluid has lots of fun stuff like artificial ski slope etc….
    there are worse places..

bigbloke
    Free Member

I live in the bedford area. Chicksands and Woburn are the bread n butter of the area, tonnes of local bridleway/edge of field stuff with loops from 10-30+ miles for fitness. Within an hour or so for Thetford, less than 2 hours Cannock a little longer for the peaks.

Local riding group/forum is http://www.sillygrin.co.uk they are very active in the area with rides and further afield trips.

Unfortunately Bedford area lacks big hills n long climbs but does have some short sharp hills/climbs in rides to again help with fitness.

oldgit
    Free Member

As in the town of Bedford?

Ashridge, plenty of very good XC. Plenty of good climbing if you want it as it zig-zags the Chilterns/Ridgeway. Ivinghoe Beacon is the stand out area.

Woburn/Aspley woods. Hours of all year round XC. Forest and woodland, with good climbs if you want them. Also has a well used ‘play area’

Chicksands. Another old XC area with lots of man made stuff. (I haven’t been in years)
    Woburn and Chicksands can be linked.

Sundon Hills. Hardly used tough XC. Best when dry. Harlington train station is a good start point.

Aston Hill. Downhill and XC course, but just a gateway into Wendover Woods.

I ride from Leighton Buzzard through Woburn and cross country to Lidlington (near the large lake and Millbrook test track) you could do that in reverse.
    Many other areas can be joined.
    If you race you have the Friday Night Summer Series on your doorstep.
    If you fancy cyclocross we have the Central CXL.
    And many of the riders I know ride and race in all sorts of disciplines. Bedfordshire has loads of great road cycling clubs and informal groups as well.

jeznewsome
    Free Member

Thanks all for the response. Some food for thought.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bedford/Milton Keynes Area……Wots it like for Life and Biking’ is closed to new replies.