Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Becoming self employed – sorting it all out help.
  • andyl
    Free Member

I am just, rather hurriedly, trying to sort out registering with the HMRC for NI and tax. I have the online form CWF1 from here: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/forms/viewform.jsp?formId=490

And wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers.

I am currently doing some materials R&D for a University but will be getting paid as an external consultant not on the Uni payroll (due to contracts etc). So I need to register myself for tax and NI ASAP.

I am also going to start working for a friend who has a limited company (but just him) on some composite analysis and processes optimisation work which his company is named around.

My specific area of expertise is in more R&D of materials – composites, nano and development of production equipment and our plan is to expand into these areas. It is likely this will be done as a partnership between our two companies.

I was thinking about just going as a sole trader initially to finish the current work I am doing (he is not involved) and to work for him on the current work he has set up and then going limited later on? Any suggestions on this?

But my current urgent problem is filling out the CWF1 form as I am wondering if I actually NEED a company name at the moment for my current purposes or can I leave that until later? I am partly in a rush as the self employed credit scheme is ending at the end of this month so I want to apply ASAP.

alexxx
    Free Member

piece of piss that can seem confusing.. fill in the form online job done. you dont need a company name I just used my name and work under 3 different names for different clients freelance.

ni will send you a letter asking for class 4 contributions of £2.50 a week or something pap.. so just wait for that to turn up in the post.

keep invoices and outgoings

separate bank account if you can

go buy some beers on yourself and claim tax back

andyl
    Free Member

Cheers Alexxx, just what I wanted to hear.

Already got into the habit of saving receipts as I have to travel to the Uni to work on stuff in the lab. Currently looking for our own laboratory facilities.

Very exciting times for me at last! (been unemployed since December when I finished my PhD).

alexxx
    Free Member

no worries mate, its stress free really nothing glaring that you need warning of. accountants are cheap and will save you their cost (usually 150-200 a year) so get one early and get some advice with all the crap!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Email sent

andyl
    Free Member

Got your email. replied, thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Becoming self employed – sorting it all out help.’ is closed to new replies.