Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • becoming a roadie…
  • TomZesty
    Free Member

I’m planning on starting road cycling to build fitness and have a change (the appeal of slipping out straight out of the doors appeals massively) from always mountain biking. Surprisingly, my fiancé has also shown a keen interest, so I have started to look round for some good first road bikes.

However, coming from a solely mountain bike background I’m a bit unsure about sizing. I ride xl frames on both my full suss and hardtail, so roughly how does this translate in road bike sizing? My best guess is around a 58cm frame? My girlfriend rides a medium hardtail so I imagine 52-54cm? Might get measured but depends if we go second hand or not, so advice appreciated!

A few bikes I like the look of are the specialized allez, giant defy and trek 1 series. Any other ones that are worth researching in the approx £500-600 sector?

JoB
    Free Member

go to a shop that knows what they’re talking about and sit on a few bikes to see what fits YOU, getting road bike sizing from advice on the internet is about as useful as picking a number out of a hat

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Triban – Decathlon

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Fit is more important on a road bike imho, and the published guides don’t take much account of physiological differences.

I should really be riding a 53cm, according to any guide, but with my short top body, I could barely hold the bars on a bike that size, and ended up with a 50cm which is nearly perfect.

You need to try them really.

lunge

As above, fit is vital I a roadie, I paid for a proper fitting that was well worth it in my eyes. Re. size, I would imagine I’m a similar size to you in that I too ride XL or 20/21″ MTB’s (I’m 6’4″, 35″ legs if that helps), I currently ride a 60cm Orbea roadie and an XL Planet-X, both have a good chunk of seat post showing and both have log reach as well which I like. Hope that helps.

TiRed

Fit is important. But it is not a dark art. Different brands have slightly different geometries, but getting the right size frame is no different to the right size jeans.

If you are of normal proportions and about 6’2 (I’m guessing) then a 57-58cm top tube will fit. IF you are taller Stem length can be adjusted easily for a better fit, and smaller frames handle slightly better with more weight over the front wheel.

For your budget, the Tribans at Decathlon are excellent (58cm). A Giant Defy in ML-L will also be an excellent bike. I like Cannondale CAAD8’s too (56 or 58), but at the low end, the wheels are poor quality.

Beware. Some shops will sell you what they have in stock! I’ve seen some poor fitting bikes from reputable shops.

akira

Go to a shop, two 56cm bikes aren’t the same size, also trying few different bikes will help you decide whether you want something racey or bit more relaxed.
    If you’re going to take it seriously then make sure you buy Sky kit!

rOcKeTdOg

If you’re going to take it seriously then make sure you buy Sky kit!

😀

mogrim

Go to a shop, two 56cm bikes aren’t the same size, also trying few different bikes will help you decide whether you want something racey or bit more relaxed.

I’d definitely try and get a test ride or two, even if you’re thinking about going 2nd hand – it’ll give you an idea about how a road bike should feel, unsurprisingly it’s quite different to a MTB…

Good idea the Sky kit bit, too. Make you go faster.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

Iff you buy sky kit make sure your fast enough to drop the average club fast group. or 😳

IanW
    Free Member

Most 58’s should fit someone 6’1″+, don’t forget to include pedals, shoes, bibs, a couple of bottles, a pair of glasses and a jersey(sky if your feeling ard) into your budget.

Ps the wheels will be crap on just about anything, £150 on some mavic or fulcrum wheels will give you the equivalent of a 2k bike.

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Remember that you ride in different positions – drops in a head wind and descending, hoods when cruising, tops when climbing – when road riding. Climbing is the most demanding position. I probably use the hoods the most.

I would say bigger is better.

globalti
    Free Member

My advice: save yourselves a stack of hassle, worry and time and make an appointment to go to a Specialized Concept Store at a quiet time. They will measure you and fit you to a bike and make small changes to things like saddle and bar tape etc. They should also give you a 12.5% discount if you ask nicely. They will sometimes also throw in accessories like gloves. You could walk out with a nice Allez in the right size and start enjoying it while saving up for some decent wheels and tyres.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘becoming a roadie…’ is closed to new replies.