Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • Becoming a New Dad – general advice very much required…
  • althepal

Take some relaxing/enjoyable music- if nothing else will pass some time while you’re waiting.
    Take some reading material, forbefore when push comes to shove..
    Take a wee toiletries bag for yourself, just having a toothbrush and some bodyspray made me feel much more awake and fresher afterwards..
    The first two weeks will pass in a blur of nightime feeds, being amazed, being gubbed.
    Nct classes? We didn’t do them and don’t think our wee two year old was worse off for it.
    Your wife will prob read every development book there is, by all means have a flick through one or two but don’t try and memorise everything.
    No one is an expert when a first baby arrives, apart from poss granmothers- take advice from those you trust, but ultimately you and your wife know best.
    Forum wise mumsnet has a dads section but tbh I think this place isn’t too bad for advice, I would just continue to hang about here.
    Oh aye, get some sleep now!

samuri
    Free Member

Right now there’s probably a hierarchy in your house like this…

You – Your wife
    Animals.

Up till now you’ve been treated roughly equally to your spouse. I’m afraid this is about to change.

Here’s how things are going to look from now on, this will never change.

1. Children
    2. Wife
    3. Animals
    4. Stuff that doesn’t do very much moving.
    5. You.

HTH.

(People kept telling me that kids pay you back in full, I’ve not seen one penny yet)

lowey

It is very hard work, but also very rewarding. I parked up biking for about 6 years, with the exception of sneaking out at nightime.

Get some good lights if you haven’t already.

Congratulations by the way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

You need to keep riding.

It offers the opportunity to let off steam, deal with stress, keep you fit and give both of you some space.

Get up ultra early and you can be back by 11.30am ready for a family day.

If you don’t keep riding you’ll become difficult to be around IMO. You don’t have to be glued at the hip. Some people will say you aren’t doing your family duty if your not berching yourself. Ridiculous. The baby is part ofthe family unit, your lives don’t eternally revolve around the baby.

More than one can be a different story of course.

ransos
    Free Member

Father of a 5-month old girl here…

I’m broke, permanently tired and have no time to ride my bikes. Despite all of that, I’ve never been happier. Most advice about parenting is conflicting, but don’t worry, you’ll find what works for you in time. Here are some other things to consider:

1. DIY. If you’re planning any, do it now. We had our carpet put down the day before Miss R arrived, which was cutting it a little fine.
    2. We had a homebirth, which we both thought was great…especially the care we got from the midwives.
    3. You can get virtually everything you need second hand. For example, we got a £400 pram for £100. You’ll also find that every friend and relative will want to buy a present for the baby, so don’t buy too many clothes before he/ she is born.
    4. Taking your baby out in a bike trailer is ace.
    5. We found NCT to be very useful, but I hear conflicting reports. One benefit is that you’ll make new friends who are in the same boat as you.
    6. Gina Ford is an evil witch.
    7. You will argue with your wife because you are both exhausted. Try to recognise this.

Hope this helps.

Shameless proud dad content:

hora
    Free Member

OP – go **** crazy. Get lots of sex in now. You aint getting shit in a few months time 😆 👿

Sidney
    Free Member

As a 5 week veteran of fatherhood I can remember pre birth wondering whether I would be ready for the upheaval despite not really worrying to much about it. I think it’s difficult for the dad to equate a bump to a babys sometime. That completely changes when they are born!

Personally, I found NCT classes useful and interesting but it’s worthwhile recognising where they are coming from (natural and minimum intervention) which whilst I kind of agree with that, their advice or information sometimes conflicts with the medical profession.

We both like the group of people we have met through it and I think it is useful, especially for Miss Sid to have a group of mothers experiencing the same thing around the same time. Us new dads all get on well, I have started riding with one of them!

You will get tons of advice, but as each baby and situation is different don’t get to hung up on it.

hora
    Free Member

You will get tons of advice, but as each baby and situation is different don’t get to hung up on it.

Amen.

chakaping
    Free Member

Classes are alright, ours were at the hospital so maybe not from the NCT.

I’ve never read any books on parenting though, or looked at any fora. Wife has done enough of that for both of us so I just do what she says and use common sense.

Main thing is just to be really supportive of your missus, if it’s her first time she’ll probably be bricking it.

I still ride loads. More than before probably. But then I was only a twice-a-week guy before really. Obviously if you’re out every day at the moment that might change.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My tip? Talk to Mrs Bullheart and plan your away-from-baby time well in advance. Whether it’s a race or just an evening in the pub with mates, you just need to get it booked in. If one of you just decides spontaneously to do something that can’t involve baby, the other is left holding the fort. Not so much fun. If you both know and can prepare for the other having some “me time” then life is a whole lot more harmonious. I get my trip to the Fort WIlliam World Cup booked in a year in advance…just after getting back from the last one lol

hora
    Free Member

stilltortoise is right. mrshora is still stuck in the self-birching mode. She finds it really hard to disengage and have a bit of ‘me’ time.

Faced with going out with friends whilst I sit in she’d rather sit near the baby monitor incase there is a stir 🙁

VanHalen

nothing can ‘prepare’ you just go with it.

i probably ride less than i could because i feel a bit guilty leaving the missus with 2 kids.

NCT is good for wifey after therefore its good for you but dont expect to understand or even consider it will prepare you.

i went to teh breastfeeding class and at the inrtroduction said ‘my 10yr daughter was bottle fed from very early and is top in her class – you dont have to breastfeed’ which went down really well.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Lots of good advice on here (for a change!! 😉 ). As a father of four (ranging from 10 to 6 months) I also find the children start becoming more attentive to the father after the age of six. My oldest only really listens to me now and always comes to me first when he has a problem. Often only the mother can stop a baby crying which can often make the father feel inadequate but don’t worry it’s perfectly normal.

On the biking front it is possible to get out regularly but you have to be disciplined about it. I have to do a lot of night rides for example after the kids are in bed or I get up at between five and six at weekends and do my 4 hour rides so that I am back before breakfast. Buying a trailer is a must IMO as you can go out for a ride your baby loves the rocking sensation and sleeps and the mother has some all important time for herself, a win win situation in my books.

hora
    Free Member

In the Night Garden is becoming abit like Benny Hill show. Wierd.

AndyP
    Free Member

I’m broke, permanently tired and have no time to ride my bikes.
    First two, check. Third – I’ve ridden more since our three were born than ever before. I find it focusses the mind wonderfully on making the most of the opportunities which are available. Alarm clocks work wonders here. Up and at ’em early doors, gert big ride, home in time for breakfast with the family.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Personally, I found NCT classes useful and interesting but it’s worthwhile recognising where they are coming from (natural and minimum intervention) which whilst I kind of agree with that, their advice or information sometimes conflicts with the medical profession.

There seems to be so much conflicting opinion on the classes here. I am at my desk now so will attempt a better reply…

We found ours (in Harrogate) to be very useful even though I found all the ‘breathing techniques’ type sessions a bit silly (as did the other dads) but there was no pressure to do things ‘their way’ (breast feeding, natural births etc) just helpful information. They helped prepare us for the carnage to follow – in fact the reality of having children (twins too) has been, for the most part, much easier than the classes would have us believe. And as I said previously, we met some really nice people – one couple are now firm friends and we still meet most of the others 2.5 years on.

Ohh and I am glad we did them because the ‘four 1 hr sessions’ from the hospital became one 1 hr and one 1/2 hr session due to staff shortages – so we spent the first hour discussing pain relief and half an hour (once they realised they had no staff to continue with further sessions) on absolutely everything else up to packing them off to university.

GrahamS

You can get virtually everything you need second hand. For example, we got a £400 pram for £100.

This!

eBay + NCT sales, jumble sales, friends/rellies that are post-baby.

Go to Mamas & Papas once just to scare yourself. Note all the people who look like they don’t have two beans between them, but are bizarrely deciding between two £300+ cots!

Mental!

Everyone has a strong urge to make sure their baby “has the best”.
    Simple truth is the baby doesn’t care. All it needs is love.

Most baby stuff only gets used for a few months so 2nd, 3rd, even 4th hand is practically new anyway.

hora
    Free Member

The waste of kit created by babies is ridiculous. You soon realise that they grow so fast that decent brand new clothes is daft.

At the moment ours is growing out of shoes monthly 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

GRahamS + 1

Don’t get sucked in to buying all the stuff people tell you you will “need”.

How I laughed when my friend bought a £600 “transport system” for their baby.

You could get a bike for that!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred!

Love Muke’s ‘guide’ to parenting. Hilarious! 😆

hora
    Free Member

Our City Babyjogger cost £149. Its been amazing and lives outside atthe front of the house. Its coming up to 2yrs hard use.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The waste of kit created by babies is ridiculous. You soon realise that they grow so fast that decent brand new clothes is daft.

At the moment ours is growing out of shoes monthly
    +1

When ours were born I *tried* to convince my wife we didn’t need to buy everything new but we (well the in-laws) still spent *£1k on a travel system (including the Isofix seat bases to be fair). It has now been sold and the girls use two Ebay purchases – a £100 off roader and a £40 stroller for shopping trips.

We still buy some new stuff if we can’t find it second-hand but we now use Freecycle and the great NCT sales (where my wife volunteers too – this means she gets first dibs at stuff before the doors open 😉

*We did sell it for £460 (but kept one car seat and base ‘just in case’) so it wasn’t hideously expensive when considering the resale but still – OUCH!

She now accepts she was a little over-eager in the beginning and that 2nd hand is perfectly acceptable. Such as the two potties we just bought for 20p. Why spend £10+ each on something that just gets shit and pissed in?

mattjg
    Free Member

1) How did it feel?

The actual popping-out was a bit fraught and stressful. Doesn’t mean yours will be.

How did you cope?

Took it as it came.

What happened to the bike?

Littl’uns mother is a biker too so we juggle things to both get out now and then. Less than before but it’s fine.

2) Did the NCT classes help?

Didn’t do any. I would though read up on the signs and stages of labour and birth, the TENS machine etc.

3) Are there any forums I could join that would help prepare me for the inevitable life-explosion about to happen?

There are loads of forums though I doubt they really prepare you.

You were born for this. Roll with it.

Lucas
    Free Member

More advice: Try not to drop a week old baby! You’re wife will be very annoyed but say she is not. Also you will feel a like a right idiot when you have to go to hospital to get the baby checked out.

ski
    Free Member

Sleep as much as you can, NOW…….has anyone mentioned that one yet 😉

OK, proper advice….

Sort out some quality babysitters asap & make sure you and your partner have some time out together.

Once a month works for us.

Welcome to the rollacoaster that you can never get off

Hope it all goes well for you and you partner BH

Harry_the_Spider

I’m not reading all of the above guff…

Here are my experiences.

Ante natal classes – Very good (helped by there being two other STW forum botherers there too). Whilst they can’t tell you all the answers they are a great starting point for networking with other new parents. As a result my wife went to soft play, swimming, music groups, baby massage and so on with people that she met. Once you are off paternity leave there is a very real chance that she will go bonkers without getting out and about.

Prams – 3 Wheeler with pneumatic tires.

Monitors – Don’t bother.

Sleep – Get used to sleeping in 2 hour bursts for the first couple of weeks.

Riding your bike – Carry on doing it when you get the chance in the first couple of weeks. The health visitor told me to go out for a couple of hours then look after the kid whilst the wife had some time off.

No visitors for the first few weeks apart from immediate family that don’t mind getting their hands dirty.

First couple of weeks are hideous.

The next 18 weeks are less hideous.

18 weeks+ is alright.

Mine are 2 and 4 now and being a dad is brilliant.

jamj1974

Please forgive me in advance for being a little cheesy or obvious, but this is what it has been like for me. As a father of a six-year old daughter and two four-year old boys I would say:

Firstly – it is amazing and beats even the best feeling you have had on two-wheels!

Secondly, it can change where/when/how often you ride – but with a little planning this can be minimised or avoided.

Thirdly, there are new joys for you on two-wheels still! Imagine a small person, banging your back from the child seat on a Sunday morning and saying “Faster Daddy, this is exciting!” This also offers some great resistance training opportunities…

Take all the admiration/awe you have for your biking hero’s and multiply it by around a million and add a tear of pride for when your little one first rides on two-wheels and as in my case – minutes afterwards asks me to “Make me a jump Daddy.” Thinking about this still brings a lump to my throat…

I also take my daughter on gentler off-road rides and we have a wonderful time together – she has been riding up to ten (Fairly flat)miles for the last two years and is much better than I was at that age. Think what future skill and enjoyment you could nurture…?

The other thing is – to your child you will be a bike god, they will think you can do amazing things on two-wheels. Who wouldn’t appreciate a little hero worship from the people that matter most to them…?

Fourthly, there are new kit opportunities out there! Islabikes is a fantastic place to buy the best child’s bikes and offers a great bike-buying experience.

Fifthly, Before anything – do as much as you can from the moment baby arrives, it helps Mum, but in my experience builds a really strong relationship with your baby and can bring a lot of joy, fun and excitement. For me it has also been the foundation for doing a lot of really meaningful stuff as they get older in term of playing together, having the most interesting and entertaining conversations I have ever experienced and just being happy in each other’s company.

Sixthly. You may have some tiring, trying and genuinely bad days where it is really tough (We still do!), I can honestly say that these do become less frequent and it is so worth it.

Generally it is magic!

J

jamj1974

Realised I have answered precisely none of your questions… 😕

Scamper
    Free Member

My little soldier is 8 weeks.

1. Don’t worry if the parental bonding thing is not there from the first minute and you are not crying your eyes out after the birth. It soon will be.

2. First few weeks have been a lot easier than we thought – just a little tired – feeding every 3 hours during the night and you are doing well.

3. A lot of it really is common sense and learning quickly as you go along.

4. Too tight for NCT classes so went to the freebee classes which were pretty useful – best bit of advice we had is don’t over bath your new born and only clean them with just cotton wool and warm water.

5. Had decent time on the bike, just need to pick the moment ie stop off on way back from work, or early sunday morning.

6. Not fussed about tv or noise monitors as such, but the pressure pads which monitor movement give peace of mind and in a friend’sexperience do work.

7. Give reusable nappies ago – cheaper and it realy is no bother apart from an extra load of washing every few days

monkey_boy
    Free Member

WELL DONE!

My advice….. just my 5p worth im sure loads will disagree!

1 – start saving about 6 months ago.

2 – earplugs

3 – dont read any books or sh*t on the web, it will make you and your wife paranoid, ignorance is bliss, ffs how did they deal with babies years ago, alot less fuss, its all marketing b*llox. anti natal classes are utter bollox IMO, we didnt even bother this was again through friends who had wasted money.

4 – It will split the camp but don’t be afraid to use ‘controlled crying’ as the they call it these days. That is if your baby cries dont just jump in and see to them, leave it a few minutes. this will pay off bigtime in the end.

5 – Do not EVER, have the baby in your bed this is the biggest copout in the world and you will pay for it for years to come. I’ve seen so many friends take the easy route now they have 5,6,7 year olds who wont sleep in their own beds.

6 – Build a vietcong bamboo trap outside your house to stop the hordes of well wishers who cant help themselves and turn up 20 minutes after you have come home from the hospital.

7 – You will become a second class citizen in your own home and all the women in your life, wife, mother, mother in laws will ignore you.

8 – Dont be sucked in by all the advertising, it is all geared to make you spend money. yes the lovley fancy pram looks good at £500 (quinny a good example) but the one thats £200 will do a much better job, you get the idea!

9 – get loads of stuff of ebay, you’d be amazed the near perfect harldy used items you can get

10 – Get a simply baby monitor, non of the fancy camera ones or even worse the one with a presusre pad, it will drive you up the wall, again marketing b*llox!!

our 17month old is totally mad, she has pushed us to the edge mentally and physically but we wouldnt change a thing!

it has been tough but the family support network has been amazing to be fair.

good luck again

windowshopper
    Free Member

Dad of a biy (6) and girl (4).
    1. Exhilerated. Well enough – trust yourself! Bike still got ridden.
    2. Ante-natal classes are worth much more than you might realise. They give you confidence as you know what the hell is going on; there will almost certainly be something you will be glad you learned when you get to the delivery room. Much more importantly, even today, 6 years on, some of our closest friends are those we met at our ante-natal class. It becomes a support group after the birth (yes, for Dads too).
    3. Don’t bother. A good book or two is better. The forums are as crazy as this place! 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

or even worse the one with a presusre pad, it will drive you up the wall

We ended up with two of those – they reassured my wife and meant she would allow the girls to start sleeping in their own room rather than next to our bed. So in our case they didn’t drive me up the wall.

Took the pressure pad parts off when they were 1yr old and out of their cots.

organic355
    Free Member

I was gonna start another thread but this seems as good a place as any.

Can I ask everyones advice on downs screening? and if they did it or not?

We have our 12 week scan next week and need to decide whether to have it (the screening) or not, thing is as mrs organic is 38/39 then the 1st test is bound to come back high risk I think as age is a factor in the probability equation? As the second test (amniocentisis) has a risk of miscarriage I doubt we would do it anyway even if we were high risk. So we are wondering whether to bother at all?

Any advice appreciated

yossarian
    Free Member

Do not EVER, have the baby in your bed this is the biggest copout in the world and you will pay for it for years to come. I’ve seen so many friends take the easy route now they have 5,6,7 year olds who wont sleep in their own beds.

my kids used to come into our bed, both sleep in their own beds now, no problem at all. 🙂

just for balance like

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh another thing.

Don’t take any advice off people on the internet. The whole subject seems to make people peculiarly argumentative and bossy.

🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

quite right 😀

hora
    Free Member

Ours came into our bed and it was a cop out/easiest path of resistance. We ended up with us two, dog and baby all side by side FFS.

Took a while but hes back in his own bed now 🙂

….however now in the car we can’t drive anywhere without mrshora holding his hand!

Scamper
    Free Member

We had downs screening at 12 weeks due to family history. Came back low risk, but im not sure a high age will def mean high risk? We would not have gone for the second test either way.

windowshopper
    Free Member

organic355, You may know this, but you can have a nuchal translucency scan at around 13 weeks IIRC that gives a much higher accuracy to the prediction than a blood test, but less than the amnio. We did it and felt better for it, if only because we felt we had better information.

but beware, I posted about this (quite sympathetically I thought) at the time and several idiots duly appeared, jumping to the illogical conclusion that i was pro-abortion, anti-life, anti-disabled…. all because I wanted better information about what we were dealing with.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can I ask everyones advice on downs screening? and if they did it or not?

We thought hard and decided against it – we knew it would make no difference to us (ie, we wouldn’t abort the pregnancy if either of our children had Down’s) so it wouldn’t matter if we knew or not beforehand.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Becoming a New Dad – general advice very much required…’ is closed to new replies.