• This topic has 40 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Becks
  • bigthorn
    Free Member

The beer not the footballer, when did it start being brewed in this country? The bottle says some bullshit about ‘German brewing heritage’ not ‘brewed in Bremen’ as its genuine heritage is! Boy taste like stale horse piss ( only the once :wink:) too

Jamie
    Free Member

Although Beck’s in the UK was formally imported from Germany, as of 2014 it is brewed in Luton, UK, despite “German Brewing Heritage” and “Bremen, Germany” appearing prominently on the front of Beck’s bottles.

sauce

Also, its brewed down to 4.8% for tax reasons.

May I suggest Aldi’s Steinhäuser for an authentic German tipple.

Cougar

Becks Blue is one of the more drinkable alcohol-free beers, though. Well, relatively.

Kuco

I found Becks Blue to fizzy.

bigthorn
    Free Member

Like staropramen but that too is now brewed in UK and tastes the bland same as every other. And yes I do like ale/bitter but anyone noticed the proliferation of small brewery beers tasting of that grapefruityness?

Jamie
    Free Member

Like staropramen but that too is now brewed in UK

It’s still imported.

…and tastes the bland same as every other.

…which makes that statement even odder. You want to be careful, as some might suggest you are only saying that as you think it’s brewed under license in the UK. Which could make you sound like a bit of a snob.

spud-face

I thought all lager was brewed in in the vast vats of Northampton town these days.

Except, of course, for Brahma

which is full of the samba spirit of Luton

bigthorn
    Free Member

Jamie you might be right but abv down to the suspicious 4.8 not traditional 5% (not good enough to link info but quick Google proved this) and now tastes like ‘everything’ else

wrecker
    Free Member

Becks blue is the best of a bad bunch.

john_drummer
    Free Member

the proliferation of small brewery beers tasting of that grapefruityness?

probably down to the hops. most likely American, probably Cascade or Citra. Or both, now that is a fine combination

by comparison, I’m really not keen on Nelson Sauvin hops. like drinking grass.

this weekend I may be trying to brew some Birra Peroni from scratch. my first lager in a couple of years, now I know why the previous attempts at lager went wrong

augustuswindsock

+1 for steinhauser from aldi, decent tipple for the price. The difference between French 1664 and the English brewed version is incomparable!

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie you might be right but abv down to the suspicious 4.8 not traditional 5% (not good enough to link info but quick Google proved this) and now tastes like ‘everything’ else

Staropramen is still 5%. You sure you’re not thinking of something else?

Source: Currently drinking one.

sparksmcguff

Grapefruityness – I’d say john_drummer has it. American hops and American ipa styles are big at the moment. Having gone out of my way to visit a number of small American Breweries I can get why – as it does work. However, less is often more and there does seem to be an over reliance on big flavours. IMHO.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Love staro! And I can vouch for its added stregnth. In fact I’ve even got a bona fida that may have been exported (stolen) from Europe..

jamj1974

Used to love Star… Best not mixed with copious vodka and white wine during the course of one evening…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Who remembers the superb Lidl german 9% lager or 7.5% wheat beer? I think the nanny state put paid to them; you don’t see them any more.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone like Peroni? Bought some the other night and it didnt taste right. Turns out it’s made in Oz under “supervision” and is actually more expensive than the imported stuff? Bloody horrible. Shame as I really like Peroni.

Jamie
    Free Member

This might be rubbish, but I swear I remember someone telling me that in Italy Peroni is seen as a bit of a Carlsberg, and they are genuinely surprised it’s sold as a pricey premium lager over here.

This could be nonsense of course.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Possibly, it is you after all. 😛 But seriously, I think that’s the case for a lot of imported beers isn’t it? I’m sure I remember mogrim saying something similar about Estrella in Spain. Generally, once I read “brewed in the UK under supervision…blah blah…” it kind of turns me off a beer.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the Czech stuff is immune from it. As Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar all seem well regarded in their place of origin.

*drinks a morning carling*

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

becks blue seemed overly fizzy to enjoy more than one bottle.. I’d prefer the cobra or my current tipple

Erdinger alkohol frei – isotonic, enriched with vitamins and low in calories.. whats not to like..plus they were giving it away free at the london bike show in excel earlier this year 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

plus they were giving it away free at the london bike show in excel earlier this year

It was the most refreshing thing I ever drank in a race when we stopped (waiting for our mate to drag his arse along) for a few cups of it during a 28 degree Heidelberg half-marathon a few years ago. 🙂

pictonroad

All these “brewed under supervision in the UK” beers are grim. Bought some asahi the other day, took one sip, thought it was off. No, there hidden away was the tell take UK mark of death.

Why are we so bad at lager? Shop round the corner used to sell sneaky import Belgian Stella, marvellous stuff. Unfortunately it’s now been closed for tax evasion.

When I’m not on the ales I tend to stick to Polish lager but the strength of it can play havoc with my pacing. Just discovered Lidl pilsner too, a tremendous drink and only 90p a can.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader!
    This might be rubbish, but I swear I remember someone telling me that in Italy Peroni is seen as a bit of a Carlsberg, and they are genuinely surprised it’s sold as a pricey premium lager over here.

Maybe true, but I like it. Wasn’t aware it was a pricey drink though. I thought labeling a lager premium meant it was 4.2% or more?

40 bucks a case for imported, 50 bucks a case for aussie made.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wasn’t aware it was a pricey drink though.

More than average in the UK.

househusband
    Free Member

I think that the wee stubby barrel shaped Heineken cans are still brewed in Holland..? At least they were the last time I bought them. Fingers crossed they still are.

Will be passing an Aldi so may have to try the Steinhäuser…

gobuchul
    Free Member

Peroni is seen as a bit of a Carlsberg, and they are genuinely surprised it’s sold as a pricey premium lager over here.

Been working in Italy a lot recently.

The 3 most common bottled beers are Peroni, Nastro Azzurro and Morretti.

The Nastro Azzurro is what we call Peroni in the UK, it is about 10c or 20c more expensive than the slightly cheaper “Peroni”. Very little difference.

It’s all about marketing, exotic foreign beers. The Italians love Tennents Super. Consider it a very good beer. Only comes in 250ml bottles over there. They are very surprised when you tell them it’s reputation in the UK.

RustySpanner

The British can make great lager, if they want to. 🙂

Joseph Holt’s Crystal and Diamond have won many, many awards.
    Both available for stupidly low prices all over the Manchester area.

Holt’s pubs are the least pretentious places going, but nowadays they seem to all be run by dedicated landlors and ladies who care about their beer and their customers.

Be very, very careful with the Diamond – it sneaks up on you.

stumpy01

Blimey! You lot are very fussy!

Carlsberg Export, 1664, Becks Vier, Staropramen, Tyskie…….etc. I’ll drink most lagers….

For me, I tend to stay away from stuff like Peroni as I find it too gassy; same for things like Cobra & Tiger, although they are OK once in a while.
    Budweiser – about the only definite no-no, to be honest.

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re so lacking in discrimination that you drink Euro-wee, you deserve every con the mega-brewers try on you.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you’re so lacking in discrimination that you drink Euro-wee, you deserve every con the mega-brewers try on you.

Well la-de-daa, Your Majesty 😀

zilog6128

Why are we so bad at lager? Shop round the corner used to sell sneaky import Belgian Stella, marvellous stuff. Unfortunately it’s now been closed for tax evasion.

The big UK breweries produce shit lager because it’s cheap to make and people will buy it anyway.

There are plenty of UK microbreweries producing decent lager though – loads in London/SE – so it is perfectly possibly!

All these “brewed under supervision in the UK” beers are grim. Bought some asahi the other day, took one sip, thought it was off. No, there hidden away was the tell take UK mark of death.

Asahi is brewed locally (by Britain’s Worst Brewer™) and a friend who works there has plenty of horror stories in general and a good one about Asahi in particular. 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

For me, it’s all about:

Little Creatures

Sail and Anchor

Mad Monk

But I’ll never be used to paying 10 bucks + for a pint. Was out down Pemberton lasg week and had a pie and a pint in a winery/brewery. $32. I nearly vomited it back at them.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh noes!
    If there’s a yes vote, I’ll have to stop drinking Brew dog!
    Meantime make some nice stuff, so not all lost….
    Perhaps some of this;
    http://meantimebrewing.com/our-beers/limited-edition/beer/union-lager/
    😀

stumpy01

globalti – Member

Erm, if that’s aimed at me…..I generally don’t drink lager; I prefer ales.
    But, I will have a lager from time to time and manage not to get my knickers in a twist over whether it was brewed to the strict Reinheitsgebot tradition!
    Obviously, if a nice German pils or something is available then I’ll perhaps choose it. But I won’t run home crying into my Gaggia if my mate has only got Carlsberg Export in the fridge.

What is this mega-brew con you speak of? Go into shop, choose beer, pay for beer, drink beer……where does the con bit come into it?

Jamie
    Free Member

But I won’t run home crying into my Gaggia if my mate has only got Carlsberg Export in the fridge.

Heh.

ninfan
    Free Member

Sorely missed:

Also sorely missed is the old Ayingerbrau D pils, 5.9%, brewed by Sam Smiths to proper german quality, lovely stuff!

Both now gone in their proper form.

househusband
    Free Member

Yup – the Steinhäuser is rather nice!

I was concerned that it wasn’t cold enough but it was fine after half an hour at the bottom of the freezer.

Jamie had suggested that I serve it over ice and imbibe through a straw but that just speaks volumes about the way he rolls… 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

Another good one available is imported Veltins
    Morrisons have it £5 for 3 x 500cl

The best UK brewed lager I’ve tried was from Bushy’s on the Isle of Man

ross980
    Free Member

Also sorely missed is the old Ayingerbrau D pils, 5.9%, brewed by Sam Smiths to proper german quality, lovely stuff!

I remember sometimes drinking that in my youth. I’m sure the ‘D’ stood for ‘Dangerous’

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Becks’ is closed to new replies.