Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Beck Hansen is a genius – discuss
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Amongst many other amazing tracks/albums, I was just listening to Chemtrails at work, and found I was close to tears through nothing other than the sublime aural treat I was being subjected to.

Any others in agreeance? (just ignore the scientology bit!)

binners

I think I’ll shove Elevator Music on now. Just to check 😀

lodious
    Free Member

Thought Mutations and Sea Change were very good. Not too happy with his production on the new Sephen Malkmus album. Generally, I think he’s major talent.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Genius is a strong word, but he’s certainly very very good. Right from Stereopatherticsoulmanure up to the present time great noise and interesting tunes – i love him. I do know people who find him too “clever” though; but that’s their loss 😀

hora
    Free Member

His first album was amazing. I remember listening to it when it first came out and I still listen to it today.

Like the Black Crows though his music has lost its way over the years.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Reluctant – I think Hora must be one of the ones you are talking about 😉

Dismissing his later albums is certaily a loss – there are some magic moments in pretty much all of them.

I dont use the word genius very often, but I think he is close. He is certainly a great artist.

allthepies
    Free Member

“Beck has been involved in Scientology for most of his life”

loon 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Too clever or disappeared up their own ass?

They then draw in the punters who aspire to ‘like’ that sort of thing so they can wear it on their sleeve and play it to people who visit their home at every opportunity.

A sort of ‘lifestyle’ music.

Sorry he lost me past Odelay.

I’m afraid Bjork did this for a while too. Prince attempted it but it just didn’t work so he tried being ‘black’ for a while then just stuck to replaying his successful back catalogue.

Every artist of note goes through this lifecycle.

binners

Good point Hora. You’re clearly an authority on these things.

I went right off Steps after their ‘Difficult Second Album’, when they went for the freeform jazz exploration. I found that to me it’d transcended its core appeal

hora
    Free Member

!Read all about it read all about it Songbird is genius!

What next? Songster tells us we should care about their political beliefs?

He wowbles, sings songs. 🙄

Stop getting all AppleMac/Guardian/Graphicdesign and new art show’y about a bloody singer.

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdXLfx0xoQ&feature=related[/video]

slimjim78
    Free Member

Hmm, yes I do like to play Beck to friends at any given opportunity.
    However, Its because his music goes into my head, and my brain processes the sounds, and stimulates pleasure sensors. And this stimulation is more frequent than when listening to a majority of other artists.
    I just like to try and share that experience, didnt realise I was being a trendy whore but hey ho.

I kind of feel for artists though, expected to produce album after album that sounds ‘just like what you did before, but different’.

Im all for experimentation. Just not Radiohead style perhaps. I think we are missing out on tons of genius (accessable) music, just because Thom is a wee bit mental.
    But then, the mentalists tend to produce the best.

binners

He’s only winding you up slimjim. He’s only pretending to be the consummate anti-intellectual – someone so culturally dense they reject Snow Patrol as being too challenging. Its all just a front

In reality he spends his evenings watching endless re-runs of Newsnight Review, though even then there’s this nagging feeling that its slightly, well…. lo-brow

Though he occasionally succumbs and knocks one out over Germaine Greer 😆

yunki
    Free Member

Beck is a great talent.. I haven’t listened to his music in a long while.. 🙁

At this present time it is very likely indeed that my second sons middle name will be Beck..

slimjim78
    Free Member

😆
    (she was fit bitd)

chutney13
    Free Member

my son’s middle name is Beck, nowt to do with the singer though.

binners

the beer?

chutney13
    Free Member

he pisses himself a lot.

binners

😆

yunki
    Free Member

yeah.. I’m not sure if our choice is really anything to do with the singer..

hora
    Free Member

Hmm, yes I do like to play Beck to friends at any given opportunity.

😆

I wanted to call our kid Beck but the missus pointed out people would say ‘Becks you say? After that Beck’am?’

So I could see her point.

DezB
    Free Member

His first album was amazing. I remember listening to it when it first came out and I still listen to it today.
    his music has lost its way over the years.
    Sorry he lost me past Odelay

Methinks you know not as much about Beck as you like to think…
    (Odelay was his 4th album)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Probably my favourite artist, he can do no wrong!

Oi Dez fire up the tune association thingamybob will you mate.

DezB
    Free Member

Will do 🙂

hora
    Free Member

How many of you wear Howies as well? 😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

What’s a Howie?

binners

Hora in Not Knowing as Much as He Thinks He Does About (insert any given subject here) Shocka!

I was right about Germaine Greer wasn’t I? 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

😆

edlong
    Free Member

Great tunes, and it gets in my head, but does anyone else ever get the impression that his lyric writing seems as though it involves printing random words out onto bits of paper, throwing them all up in the air and the order they land in is the order he sings them in?

Obviously I’m not intellectual enough to understand the deep philosophical meaning behind, for example:

With the plastic eyeballs, spray paint the vegetables
    Dog food stalls with the beefcake pantyhose

DezB
    Free Member

It’s poetry, man

Stealing kisses from the leperous faces
    Heads are hanging from the garbage man trees
    Mouthwash jukebox gasoline
    Pistols are pointing at a poor man’s pockets
    Smiling eyes ripping out of his sockets

MrNutt
    Free Member

I often listen to One Foot In The Grave, its one of my desert island disks I think.

DezB
    Free Member

Fabulouso

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rx-rFMXJvIM[/video]

slimjim78
    Free Member

dont forget to download Timebomb!

so catchy it hurts.

colournoise

edlong – Member
    Great tunes, and it gets in my head, but does anyone else ever get the impression that his lyric writing seems as though it involves printing random words out onto bits of paper, throwing them all up in the air and the order they land in is the order he sings them in?

Worked for Eno and Bowie.

YMMV depending on how far up their arses you think those two are too.

slainte 😆 rob

slimjim78
    Free Member

great link DezB

schrickvr6
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxbaxYqRwc&feature=related[/video]

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Beck Hansen is a genius – discuss’ is closed to new replies.