Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Because we all love a 'what car?' thread…Recommendations please
  • Mintyjim

I’ll be starting a new job next year and because of this, and moving back to beautiful West Wales, I’ll be averaging about 31k per year which is over twice my current annual mileage.

I have a 2008 335d coupe at the moment which I love but has 76k on it and will prove a bit too expensive to run (and it’s value will plummet after 100k regardless of whether it will go until 200k etc..)

So…

– 31k per annum – mix of windy country roads (2/3) and motorway (1/3).
    – Budget of about £20k.
    – Ability to carry at least one bike
    – supremely comfy
    – must have bluetooth, heated seats and satnav.
    – ideally a DAB radio.
    – Second hand.

My thoughts thus far are a low mileage 2012 320d and that’s pretty much it!

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Stick with the 335d and enjoy it – I doubt that there will be any real saving once you’ve taken a depreciation hit on a 2012 320d with that number of miles per year.

Whilst the 320d is a great car I can’t imagine going back to a 2 litre now that I’ve had the 330d.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mintyjim

wurzelcube – I guess th trouble is that after 2 years it would have about 140k on the clock and worth peanuts, I’d rather shift it now, whilst under 80k, and use the money towards my new car..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Have you looked at Skoda Octavia vRSes? 😉

Mintyjim

ha, yup seen those excruciating threads – I should have stated no Octavia vRS’s!

crispy
    Free Member

I reckon hang onto it. It’s done most of it’s depreciation already and it’s a brilliant car.

Say it’s worth 10kish now, probably less. In 2 years with another 60k on it, it’ll still probably be worth 4-5k.

The depreciation on a newer car for two years and 60,000 miles would be much greater, surely?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

“windy country roads” + Wales + BMW + winter weather = ?

Audi A4 Avant Quattro S-Tronic/manual with the 2.0TDI engine.

I’ve been looking at new cars lately and the 3-series and A4s were on the list. Both nice cars but the Audi was a) much nicer to sit in and b) felt MUCH better built. Both cars were side by side in a show room so was easy to compare and both were 2 or 3 years old.

I don’t think I’ll go with either though – another Octavia vRS, an Octavia Scout or a Mondeo Titanium X Sport are the new shortlist…

barryboglips
    Free Member

Ooooohhh a BMW snob. Lovely.

You should change the thread to “must be a dick heads car”.

But i agree with another post, going from the 335D to a 320D will be awful.

momo

I wen’t through a similar search recently and ended up buying a Mk6 golf GTD, paid £15k for a 2010 car with 23k on the clock.

I bought the golf with one eye on residuals as I plan to shift it on in 3-4 years before it hits 100k miles.

ricardo666
    Free Member

nissan micra here 6 years old…as long as the bike fits in the back who cares

Mintyjim

Not sure how you came to that conclusion barryboglips and thanks for the insult. You’re an odd man.

austen

Another vote for Audi here – A4 avant quattro owner loving the traction on mud-coated winter roads… If you haven’t driven one you should give it a try.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Audi – fine if you like your suspension made out of bricks! About as comfy as sitting on a spike. No need either as plenty other companies manage fine and still be “sporty”

richmtb

I wen’t through a similar search recently and ended up buying a Mk6 golf GTD, paid £15k for a 2010 car with 23k on the clock.

I went through a similar search and got a Leon FR with 12k miles for 11k

I looked at Golf’s too but couldn’t justify the 4-5 grand price difference.

Anyway if I was the OP I’d probably keep the 335d for a year or two until the new 3 series X-drives are available s/h

asterix
    Free Member

question for you Audi drivers: A4 Allroad vs A4 Avant (vs Volvo XC60)?

Mintyjim

good feedback here, numbers are definitely better for keeping the 335d I agree (and it has a towbar for the bikes).
    Just took a look at the Golf GTD…holy crap, they’re expensive!

I’ve actually never driven an Audi, I really ought to.

I quite like the look of the Volvo V40’s / V60 but, per some of the above, losing the sublime power of a remapped 335d (which averages 40mpg in the real world!) would be difficult I reckon

barryboglips
    Free Member

I went from a 300BHP 2.0T to a 170BHP 2.0TDI and I hate it.

It feels sluggish. Sounds crap…

…but I get twice as much MPG and it has a towbar. Yes the seats arent as comfy but theyre still decent

if fuel economy is not an issue, I’d keep the 335D.

austen

We looked at the A4 Allroad but it’s not like the A6 with fancy suspension etc, just the same quattro drivetrain in a slightly different body and 25mm extra ground clearance – I stuck with the standard Avant as I dislike the Allroad styling.

The ride is certainly firm, but then that’s what I like and there are various options; standard, s-line is (from memory) 20mm lower and then sport is another 10mm lower still? Something like that anyway.

Straightliner

Does the new job offer a company car list? If so, that may be a better option because any car you put 31K miles on per year is going to plummet in value.

Also, given your location and the fact that there are no motorways in that area, something that has enough grunt for comfortable overtakes is going to be needed.

As a complete alternative, what about something older but luxo-barge like which could be picked up cheaply, used for 12 months and then scrapped, or sold on eBay to make a few pounds back?

warns74
    Free Member

I have a lovely low mileage A4 Avant 2.0 tdi (170) S-Line for sale if youre interested, be perfect for what you need! Its well within budget and would leave you enough for a new bike!
    Email in profile 🙂

Nonsense
    Free Member

Starting to get 2012 Jaguar XF’s around the 20k mark now. 2.2ltr turbo very comfy lots of torque look gorgeous.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ll go with either though – another Octavia vRS, an Octavia Scout or a Mondeo Titanium X Sport are the new shortlist…

Have to admit, the Scout is on the list for our next car. We do a mix of windy roads (IoW), motorways (getting anywhere from the IoW), carry kit (boards and bikes) and have sprog.

That and I actually enjoy driving on winding roads.

Looked previously at Golfs, but always come to the conclusion that you can get a similar car for a lot less cash with a Skoda or a Seat. Similarly, if I were to buy an Audi I’d look towards the top of the spec chart – very underwhelmed with what I’ve seen at the lower end for the additional outlay. I can’t help thinking both brands have an element of brand snobbery attached at lower price points, which equals extra cost. The A4 always looks like it has a small boot when compared so something like an Octavia, Focus or Mondeo.

Otherwise definitely look at Ford – since the Focus came out they’ve been making stream of very well-mannered front-wheel-drive cars with some oomph, including the new Mondeo and S-Max.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

barryboglips – Member

Ooooohhh a BMW snob. Lovely.

You should change the thread to “must be a dick heads car”.

Helpful comment 🙄 And possibly nothing to do with being a snob but perhaps just enjoying driving a car that drives very well?!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We have an early mk2 Octavia vRS at the moment and its a good car. Had it over 3 years now which is a first for us. Had a look at a Scout last weekend (a 1.8TSI so easily mapped to standard vRS beating power) and its a nice car. Comfier than a vRS and the wife likes the higher drive position. Think thats the leader at the moment… No slouch either.

Kryton57

wurzelcube – Member
    Stick with the 335d and enjoy it – I doubt that there will be any real saving once you’ve taken a depreciation hit on a 2012 320d with that number of miles per year.

What they are all saying up there ^^. Despite the fact I think I want a new one my ’52 330i is easily cheaper to run and still good to drive AND carry bikes & gear around now its paid for, if you take the new monthly payments into account.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

The Ford Kuga, I’m on my 2nd 163bhp at the moment. 20K will get you all of the toys you want and the 4×4 (if you can call it that 😉 always gets me to the remote places. Run a tuning chip and it’s not bad 🙂

Ben_H

I have a Volvo V60 D5. Dig my interior!

I do big miles and needed to get out of my Audi S3. I’d seriously recommend any Volvo with the D5 lump – they’re somewhere between a 325d and 330d in performance terms.

I purposely chose this one in SE Lux trim to *not* be sporty, so it’s massively comfy… but it’s still more than enough to scare most hot hatches (well, in a straight line anyway). 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

Why not take a look at a late model Subaru forester it should fit your needs and all the other obvious choices have been mentioned.

Mintyjim

Good shouts here, I’ll check the forester and I really like the Volvo!
    Another possible idea is a small diesel car for commuting given mostly windy roads and then something fun for occasional commute and biz trips..
    This is harder than choosing a new bike

pictonroad

I don’t think it stacks up financially, the new car will depreciate faster than the old one and you’ll lose more money and be driving a slower car.

If I had to choose an economical (ish) car that was also blinding fun on welsh roads, looked smart for work and could carry a bit of kit I’d choose the car you already have!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Get yourself a demo for 24 or 48 hours… 286 bhp, a crazy amount of torque and a flappy paddle auto will be damn hard to replace…

takisawa2

What you really need is a comfy, posh car with a big diesel engine…oh, hang on… 😕

I think your just looking for confirmation that you should keep the one you’ve got… 😉

And I’m in this camp too.

Love the usual comments that appear on this kind of thread…

I went from a 300BHP 2.0T to a 170BHP 2.0TDI and I hate it.

🙄

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Because we all love a 'what car?' thread…Recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.