Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Beauty in the eye of the beholder? My new FS 29er…
  • big_scot_nanny

right then, new frame build alert! Woohoo!

Really wanted a FS to add to my 120mm 29er HT, as on longer, rougher rides I really wanted front a rear squish again also. (had a 2008 26er FSR comp but got rid of it when I built the Chumba HX2).

Most test rides I’ve ver done (big purchase this) – do I go 140-160 26er, or 120-140 29er? 😕

After riding many 26ers (Fritz, Spicy, Canyon, Remedy, even a Scratch for a laugh, Reign, which btw was a terrible fit, how short and tall is that bike?), and an El Rey and Sultan 29er, I plumped for the Ventana El Capitan in 21″, electric blue. A really good local dealer here in CH, plus an amazingly good deal (ventana are stopping the El Cap and making a few other changes).

Also a big part in this was discussions with Ton of this here parish, who was the gentleman that got me into 29ers in the first place when I bought his Chumba frame off him. We are not of dissimilar proportions i.e. mildly terrifying. 😀

Going for the first ride on Sunday – wish me luck (and pray nothing falls off! only my second build!) 😯

isn’t she an absolute stunner?

wiiiiiide bars (which I think I quite like!)

the most beautiful frame I have ever seen. It is amazing.

I shall report back on Sunday!

Kev

terrahawk
    Free Member

NICE

LoCo
    Free Member

Looks, right. 😀

psychle
    Free Member

Must be mahoosive, doesn’t look at all like a 29’er to me! Nice looking bike 8)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

OOooooooo nice build that. 😀

postierich
    Free Member

ermmm looks far to complicated for me!

neil853
    Free Member

Very nice

ton

fantastic looking bike mate.
    hope you enjoy it loads………. 8)

sherry
    Free Member

Great looking bike,it doesn’t look like 29er to me because its a 21″ I think. I have been looking at 29ers as well, how tall are you. I take it this is a AM version in the 29er world?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Colour = nice.

Cranks = wrong position. Drive side pedal should always be at between 2 and 3 o’clock.

big_scot_nanny

postierich – Member

Well, it deffo isn’t a rigid singlespeed! 😛

Sherry, I ain’t that big, 6’3″, but I weigh a ton and I believe this is the most laterally stiff 29er out there. It feels Plush with a capital P. I don’t know about all mountain, but should put up with a bit of abuse. Hope so, passportes du soleil beckons. 😀

Mr. P – noted! Not to mention the routing of the front derailleur cable… Still not sure it looks right!

I’m off down to then bike cellar for another fondle.

kev

TooTall
    Free Member

White bits will make you look fat! Black would have been more slimming 😀

I agree with the ‘electric sex’ welding tho – quite lovely.

ton

Black would have been more slimming

yeah right………… 😆

Garburn 22-2-09

big_scot_nanny

As always tootall, it’s my fat that makes me look fat. And yes I do wear black, and no horizontal stripes, terribly unflattering don’t you know.

I was This close to buying a sultan, but lack a decent local dealer (well, in Switzerland really) scared me off, ‘just in case’ with this much money a stake.

How’s your bike doing? Any pics?

I am still recoiling from the other 29er thread when ton compared wagnwheelers to bum sex. Let’s keep this just about a love between a man/woman and their bu… Sorry BIKE.

kev

takisawa2

Ventana’s are ace. Amazing quality.
    Love the colour.

TooTall
    Free Member

Not got a recent picture of the Sultan – should do really. Between that at 23″, the tiny 21″ Scandal, the too-small 24.5″ hybrid and the comfortable 27″ road bike, I should get a ‘fleet’ picture together I suppose. I have enough metal to build about 6 normal bikes!

If I could have test ridden a Ventana I would have – but it was exciting enough to test ride the 23″ Sultan – and it hasn’t let me down yet.

Bregante

Lovely bike.

martinxyz
    Free Member

“Reign, which btw was a terrible fit, how short and tall is that bike?”

Reign top tube – 24.25″
    yours – 24.9″

Reign stand over – 32″
    yours – 31.7″

Bike looks wicked. Lovely quality. mmm.

ken_shields
    Free Member

postierich – Member

Postierich dealing with something less complicated (it’s a single speed) 😉

Nice bike BTW (I think I may build a 29er next)

MrTall
    Free Member

I considered a Ventana before i built my Salsa Big Mama. Yours looks really nice, the blue and white really works i think.

I’m sure you’ll really enjoy riding it.

big_scot_nanny

Mr Tall, the big mama was what got me thinking about a FS 29er, as at the price it was going for it was a no brainer, but couldn’t find one anywhere. Then things escalated a bit and I ended up looking at the upper reaches of the market. 😳 had a good year last year, so needed a wee reward! (and kid no. 3 arrives in Aug, so last chance for a while!)

Ken: 😆

Martinxyz – so I was right! 😉 Combo of those measurements, plus 26in wheels = nicht gut!

Cheers for thence comments, I was expecting more of a slagging for the gold rear hub, and for the slightly ott white red blue colour coding. Phew, 🙂

Kev

IA

Reign top tube – 24.25″
    yours – 24.9″

Reign stand over – 32″
    yours – 31.7″

It’s not just this that matters though, it’s how far away the bars are from the pedals too.

sadexpunk

tis indeed nice mate, but am i the only one who thinks it could be improved with a nice seatpost? cant see the point of a suss seatpost on a FS bike. unless its just one of those adjustable ones that you drop when going downhill?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Isn’t anyone going to mentions the tyre logo / wheel valve alignment faux pas?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Very nice, like the colour. What are the bars?

MrTall
    Free Member

Sadexpunk – that is a gravity dropper seatpost, not a suspension post.

Terry
    Free Member

Loving the bike, had a Ventana myself. “sex weld” as the sticker says on their frames.

Only thing I dislike is the gravity dropper cable, I would try to get it out of the way. Maybe some Nokon.

Have a safe and fun ride.

big_scot_nanny

The gravity dropper is just hideous, but I have had dropper posts on bikes for years now and it is the only one that doesn’t break I think. 27.2 seat post on the el cap limits options also. Maybe should have got the version with the cable out theback, that is all I can do with the current one.

Buzz: bars are syncros FR 790mm. Good value.

Terry: I promise! 😀

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Grips are upside down…..

Very nice bike

baldSpot
    Free Member

must be massive as it just looks right 🙂

sherry
    Free Member

Thinking twice about the fully rigid On One Scandle now! Thats defo the best 29er I have seen. I’m 6’6″ so not sure about what size to go for in the 29er stakes.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

That’s one great looking bike, well done, I want!

The only bits I’m unsure of are the post & the BB height, it looks very high.

the_lecht_rocks

FOR LATERAL STIFFNESS, WHY NOT CONSIDER A NICOLAI AC OR AM 29’R ?

big_scot_nanny

Lecht- IT WASN’T REALLY ON MY RADAR! AND A BIT BLOODY EXPENSIVE. SORRY! 😀

First rode today: fooking brilliant. Frame is sooo stiff, suspension so plush (but works very well in propedal3 for the ups). 8)

Bars a bit wide, and I and also dicked about with my forks the night before and royally screwed up pressure and damping. Idiot. So even though the rear was AMAZING, front was a little less than smooth which took the fun off slightly. 👿

GD turbo is not called turbo for nothing. Ouch! It is a fair bit faster than a Joplin. 😯

I am going to love this bike. 8) Crappy iPhone From today:

Thanks for all the compliments peeps.
    Kev

bigsi
    Free Member

Dibs if you sell it.

Thats how much i like it 😀

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Those pics taken somewhere in the Jura?

big_scot_nanny

Thanks bigsi! Still got your swift? It was also niiiiiice. 😀

Ir12daveor: no, but hope to ride there soon. This is from the highpoint on the Challpass above Berg in Solothurn.

great trail, 5 hour ride, bit brutal on the wrists with fecked up forks!

Kev

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Ah ok, I thought the landscape looked a little familiar. We rode from Olten to Basel via Belchenfluh last weekend and had a similar look down to a valley as in one of your photos at one point. Not exactly the same area but close and similar landscape.

If I’m not mistaken though it is part of the Swiss Jura. The route we did is described as a Trans-Jura in one of the local magazines and is further away from where I would consider to be Jura than your route.

big_scot_nanny

You might be right! I think, technically, Jura is west a bit, but it’s all the same bunch of hills. 🙂

If your kicking about, would be great to meet up for a ride, then we can argue in person 😉

Kev

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’m kicking around most weekends. I live on the other side of Zurich but will probably be heading over towards Jura as soon as the snow disappears off the top of Chasseral. There looks to be a trail worth checking out over there. I’m generally open to travelling to almost any corner of CH if I reckon I’ll find something fun there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Beauty in the eye of the beholder? My new FS 29er…’ is closed to new replies.