Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Beautiful yet thought provoking.
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

doesn’t look too bad…

CaptJon
    Free Member

As a geographer with colleagues who study glaciers, i (and they) find it odd when people use emotive stuff to try and exemplify science. “The pictures tell a story.” Yes they do, but it is a very limited and partial story.

crikey
    Free Member

But its rained all day!
    Global warming my arse…… 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

they do this as most folk dont understand complicated stuff and need soundbites to get it..perhaps you gerographers could leave it to the experts 😉
    I suppose we could send the IPCC report to them but how many folk will read or comprehend the 1000 page report?

It may not quite be 1000 pages but it is loads I have only read about a 1/3 tbh.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As I say, it doesn’t look too bad.

For emotive impact it would be better to identify the weather events that can definitely be attributed to climate change and which have caused human suffering.

mikey74
    Free Member

It is only a small point but i don`t think it says whether they were taken at the same time of year as the originals, unless i missed it. I assume they were.

nicko74

Beautiful yet thought provoking

er… Gail Porter?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“find it odd when people use emotive stuff to try and exemplify science”

The producers know that people respond to how they feel. Brashears expresses his feelings of shock and loss over the melting glaciers. And then adds his concern for the people who depend on glacial melt waters. If enough people feel sympathetic, then there may be the collective will to act. That is the purpose of this film.

jon1973
    Free Member

I took this in Chamonix, France last year. They have to extend the walkway down every year so that you can get down the the surface of the glacier. Interestingly I went there as a kid in the 90’s so it had quite a profound effect on me.

This walkway that takes you upto where the surface of the glacier was when I was there last in the 90’s which is at the bottom of the ski lift. Quite amazing how much it has dropped. Another 20 years and it will be gone they reckon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Beautiful yet thought provoking.’ is closed to new replies.