• This topic has 31 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by irvb.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Beautiful places by the ocean to ride to from London?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

I really want to ride to the ocean from London, but there’s so many places, I don’t know which to choose as I don’t know them at all! I’d love some reccomendations (: I was orginally going to try and follow the thames out east, but it seems the path ends in London. Somewhere remote with an a direct route (like a path as opposed to road – doing it on a Moonie!) and naturally beautiful would be lovely. Thanks in advance (:

Rockape63
    Free Member

We don’t really do ‘Ocean’ in the UK! Its the Sea! 8)

Anyway there is a ‘sort of’ off road route to Brighton, via Richmond area I believe. Someone will come along soon and confirm.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP @rewski from here has done rides down to the South Coast from London (Croydon area I recall), cross North Downs then South Downs to end up around Shoreham somewhere. You can get to Chichester (some nice coast/dunes at West Whittering or little harbour at Bosham) via Guildford and then the downslink which is a disused railway line. OI am not sure there is too much remote coast within 100 miles of London. With a bit of planning you can get the train back to London fairly easily.

jam-bo

naturally beautiful would be lovely

margate. definitely margate.

nedrapier

Well I never, I was preparing a smartarse reply about needing to head to Cornwall or Scotland, but I’ve just found out our Atlantic Ocean coast stretches from the Irish Sea at St Georges Channel – St David’s Head, Pembrokeshire to the North Sea at Dover.

English Channel, also called The Channel, French La Manche, narrow arm of the Atlantic Ocean separating the southern coast of England from the northern coast of France and tapering eastward to its junction with the North Sea at the Strait of Dover (French: Pas de Calais)

http://global.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/187921/English-Channel

The Irish Sea is bounded by Scotland on the north, England on the east, Wales on the south, and Ireland on the west. The sea is connected with the Atlantic by the North Channel between Northern Ireland and Scotland and by St. George’s Channel between the southeastern tip of Ireland and southwestern Wales.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was orginally going to try and follow the thames out east, but it seems the path ends in London

You’ll end up on the Isle of Sheppey, which is nice if you like chavs, caravan parks and prisons.

The coast north of Britlingsea is nice (IMO), but probably a couple of days ride on a fatty, so take camping kit. Head for Wales on the train if you want remote coast.

nedrapier

google London to Brighton off road route – it’s a good a start as any, you can vary at the end to hit between Brighton or Chichester Harbour, as above. [Edit – or Portsmouth Harbour and the ferry to the IoW] Depends how long a ride you want? 75 miles to Brighton, from the L2B start at Roehampton, a bit less to Shoreham.

The Downs Link section might not be the most interesting ride you’ve done on a fattie, but it’s off road and it’s straight and quick. You might need to make your own fun, though, or be happy to get some thinking done!

hilldodger
    Free Member

…I am not sure there is too much remote coast within 100 miles of London.

Some of the Isle of Wight coastline is pretty secluded, if not remote, and you get the bonus of a ferry crossing to get there 🙂

midlifecrashes

Hop on a short (1 hour) train ride to Essex, Shoeburyness would be ideal, then within a mile of the station you’ll be in beautiful, remote (as in nobody else there, not distance) coastal Essex, with dunes, mudflats, rivers, estauaries, seals, birds and boats. You can then fiddle your way along the coast and all around Suffolk and Norfolk, depending on your timescales.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

With an initial train-assist you could put together a route from SE london / Kent borders down to the coast via the Kent end of the North Downs Way and Pilgrims Way – this would be on a combination of bridleways and quiet lanes.

It would go something like Otford > Cuxton via North Downs / Pilgrims Way then swing South over the Medway bridges to pick up the North Downs Way again the other side. Keep on following the Pilgrims Way south via Charing / Wye etc (option here for a side trip to Canterbury / Whitstable). Eventually you’ll hit the edge of Folkestone. From there turn West towards Hythe (Sustrans 2 I think?). Divert out to Dungeness (not conventionally beautiful but interesting all the same – it’s Britain’s only desert – Pilot Inn is a great pub) before heading over for some fat bike fun in the dunes at Camber Sands. Rye would be a good overnight spot (lovely medieval town with some cracking pubs) before pushing on via Winchelsea, Pett Level and Fairlight to Hastings. Train back to London from there.

I’ve ridden most of the above in short stages when I lived down that way – PM me if you want further info. Kent and Sussex have some lovely areas and loads of bridleways – much underrated for biking.

I now live in Devon though, which I have to say knocks pretty much anywhere in the SE into a cocked hat as far as coastal scenery is concerned!

DaRC_L

Hmmms Pacific, Atlantic, Indian or Artic oceans look achievable if you start at one of these places…

London, Ontario, a city in Canada
    London, Belize, a village
    London, Equatorial Guinea, a village
    London, Finland, a section of Jakobstad
    London, Kiribati, a small city on Kiritimati
    London, Nigeria, a village
    London, Mpumalanga (Noordprovincie) in South Africa
    London, Mpumalanga (Graskop) in South Africa

In the United States:
    London, Arkansas, a city
    London, Kentucky, a city
    London, Ohio, a city

Pigface
    Free Member

Could you follow the Thames down to the Estuary, not the most picturesque but would be a good bit of exploring.

ElShalimo

Hoo is quite close and feels a million miles from civilisation

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

feels a million miles from civilisation

So’s Sheppey, feels like the end of the world, but in different way (actualy there are some nice bits, I have Bivi’d there).

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

So’s Sheppey, feels like the end of the world, but in different way (actualy there are some nice bits, I have Bivi’d there).

Sheppey deservedly gets a bit of a bad rep but the bit down the South East corner of the island between Harty Ferry and Shell Ness is quite lovely. Last time we were there we spent hours watching some hares leaping about the place.

Hoo peninsular is a good shout. Places like St Marys Bay and Halstow Marshes are probably as properly remote as you can get in the South East.

Not my photo but have been here several times – bizarrely reminded me of some beaches in the Western Isles… albeit spoiled by the view of Canvey Island in the distance!

TheBrick
    Free Member

You can reach pretty much anywhere it depends on how much navigation and planning you are prepared to do. The Grand Union Canel heads N.W out of London and from there links up with other canels / rights of way. Or Thames path west and link up, keep going until you reach the Atlantic.

dantsw13

How long are you looking to take for this?

I’d head towards Brighton. Use things like the Downs Link and Cuckoo Trail, get onto the South Downs Way at Jevington, head towards Stanmer Park, then drop into Brighton, which has a cycle way into the centre of town. Easy train home too.

The views oft the he coast from the SDW are great.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

First of all, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for replying! I mean it and to be honest I didn’t expect you all to be this kind or helpful! I’ve now got several places and a ton of info! So thanks (: and I do apologise for the long post, I like to try and reply to everyone since you know, you’ve made an effort to reply to me (:

We don’t really do ‘Ocean’ in the UK! Its the Sea!
    Anyway there is a ‘sort of’ off road route to Brighton, via Richmond area I believe. Someone will come along soon and confirm.

Haha I like the sound of Ocean more rather than ‘seaside which sounds a bit ‘naff ;D
    Ooh wow, that sounds really good! I really don’t think I could do it on the road, an entire offroad route sounds really good though!!

OP @rewski from here has done rides down to the South Coast from London (Croydon area I recall), cross North Downs then South Downs to end up around Shoreham somewhere. You can get to Chichester (some nice coast/dunes at West Whittering or little harbour at Bosham) via Guildford and then the downslink which is a disused railway line. OI am not sure there is too much remote coast within 100 miles of London. With a bit of planning you can get the train back to London fairly easily.

Thanks I will check that route out! (:Just looked up North Downs, it looks amazing!! But not too sure about Shoreham…:S Chichester does look quite nice though! I’m not too sure about how remote it is. Maybe remote isn’t such a good idea anyway for a first ride.

Not sure if serious, it seems to be a popular touristy area… bleugh. And they went there in Only fools! :S

You’ll end up on the Isle of Sheppey, which is nice if you like chavs, caravan parks and prisons.
    The coast north of Britlingsea is nice (IMO), but probably a couple of days ride on a fatty, so take camping kit. Head for Wales on the train if you want remote coast.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Those are EXACTLY the kind of places I wanted to avoid!!!!!!!!! You are my savior good sir! Brightlingsea looks okay I guess, is it really as nice as you can find in the south east? It’s still quite far.. I’ve the Pembrokeshire coast, it looks utterly breathtaking!! I wanna ride there though ;P I really, really want to ride to cornwall but I just don’t think that’d be possible (300 miles) on a 5” fatbike without a direct offroad route. Fatties are a pain in the backside to ride on the road, but off it, they just flow.

google London to Brighton off road route – it’s a good a start as any, you can vary at the end to hit between Brighton or Chichester Harbour, as above. [Edit – or Portsmouth Harbour and the ferry to the IoW] Depends how long a ride you want? 75 miles to Brighton, from the L2B start at Roehampton, a bit less to Shoreham.
    The Downs Link section might not be the most interesting ride you’ve done on a fattie, but it’s off road and it’s straight and quick. You might need to make your own fun, though, or be happy to get some thinking done!

I definetely will! It sounds like the best option at the moment. 75 miles sounds easier than a 100 too! As long as it’s offroad, I’m happy! Plus I got my music (:

Hop on a short (1 hour) train ride to Essex, Shoeburyness would be ideal, then within a mile of the station you’ll be in beautiful, remote (as in nobody else there, not distance) coastal Essex, with dunes, mudflats, rivers, estauaries, seals, birds and boats. You can then fiddle your way along the coast and all around Suffolk and Norfolk, depending on your timescales.

Wow, that sounds really good. Probably won’t do it for a first long ride though. How come there’s no one there? Very curious…

With an initial train-assist you could put together a route from SE london / Kent borders down to the coast via the Kent end of the North Downs Way and Pilgrims Way – this would be on a combination of bridleways and quiet lanes.
    It would go something like Otford > Cuxton via North Downs / Pilgrims Way then swing South over the Medway bridges to pick up the North Downs Way again the other side. Keep on following the Pilgrims Way south via Charing / Wye etc (option here for a side trip to Canterbury / Whitstable). Eventually you’ll hit the edge of Folkestone. From there turn West towards Hythe (Sustrans 2 I think?). Divert out to Dungeness (not conventionally beautiful but interesting all the same – it’s Britain’s only desert – Pilot Inn is a great pub) before heading over for some fat bike fun in the dunes at Camber Sands. Rye would be a good overnight spot (lovely medieval town with some cracking pubs) before pushing on via Winchelsea, Pett Level and Fairlight to Hastings. Train back to London from there.
    I’ve ridden most of the above in short stages when I lived down that way – PM me if you want further info. Kent and Sussex have some lovely areas and loads of bridleways – much underrated for biking.
    I now live in Devon though, which I have to say knocks pretty much anywhere in the SE into a cocked hat as far as coastal scenery is concerned!

That sounds very interesting. I’ll have to look it up on a map when I have a bit more time! When you say intial train assist, where do you mean to? I am 17 and I have never really been in a pub before though tbh. Thank you! I will definitely have to check it out. In a few weeks I’ll reply to this thread with which route I’m going? Though I doubt anybody cares lol.
    Is Devon that nice? I’ve never been to Devon, but I will never forget going to cornwall last summer. Going on an adventure to find the ocean, riding miles and miles(only about 5 or 6 haha) with it getting steeper and steeper, the wind getting stronger and then coming up to a set of fields on cliffs, at what seemed like worlds end. And as I cycled to it, the bit behind me looked like that old windows xp wallpaper, the landscape grass one. Truly amazing!!! Is there not much like that near me?

Could you follow the Thames down to the Estuary, not the most picturesque but would be a good bit of exploring.

Woah, Estuary looks amazing. Or is it just because google has aerial views? Either way, sounds like a fun adventure!! I’ll add to my list 😉

Hoo is quite close and feels a million miles from civilisation

From google images, it looks almost abandoned! I’m kinda scared haha. It looks very interesting though.

Sheppey looks very, very nice!! Will have to see if there’s any routes to it!

Sheppey deservedly gets a bit of a bad rep

What do you mean deservedly? What’s wrong with Sheppy!!

[qupte] You can reach pretty much anywhere it depends on how much navigation and planning you are prepared to do. The Grand Union Canel heads N.W out of London and from there links up with other canels / rights of way. Or Thames path west and link up, keep going until you reach the Atlantic.[/quote]
    The thing is, on the fatbike it’s only fun riding offroad on trails and such. On the road, it’s no fun at all. The grand union canal is very close to me, did 30 miles on it a few weeks ago (there and back)! It’s really fun to ride, almost like endless singletrack. It’s pretty much what inspired me to go really far! I’ll have to look up how it links with other canals, thanks for that (: Really wanted to ride into central London, never done that before so that’s on the list for summer!

How long are you looking to take for this?
    I’d head towards Brighton. Use things like the Downs Link and Cuckoo Trail, get onto the South Downs Way at Jevington, head towards Stanmer Park, then drop into Brighton, which has a cycle way into the centre of town. Easy train home too.
    The views oft the he coast from the SDW are great.

Not more than a day’s ride hopefully. Was going to leave at first light.
    That sounds like a very straightforward route, thanks! It sounds great! I’m awfully excited, be a lovely adventure (:

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just to add to this..

I’ve done lots of offroad long distance “to the coast” rides and one certainly not to miss/dismiss is the route along the south of the Thames out to north Kent. It really is a mix of hard working areas and docks through to expanses of mud flats and open flat land beaches with no one on. The wildlife is spectacular and you really do get a sense of wilderness. Sure it heads to Sheppy but you don’t have to stay there very long do you? Then head down the coast of Kent and if you can head south to Dungeness (as mentioned) Some spectacular places along the way..

Other than that the offroad route to the coast from London is GPX’d all over Strava…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP listen to what @bikebouy says

FYI a lot of the South coast has fantastic paths, many on cliff tops but they cannot be ridden officially.

If you do North/South Downs (both have great riding in their own right, I can provide some tips) then the pretty village/harbour of Bosham or West Wittering for beach and dunes are worth a visit.

If you want an “ocean” experience I would suggest jumping on the train to Portsmouth then a Ferry to the IOW at Ryde and do a tour of the Island perhaps all the way out to the Needles in the West. You can get a ferry from Yarmouth (pretty town) back to Lymington and return on train to London.

nedrapier

😀

Loving the excitement!

Chichester does look quite nice though! I’m not too sure about how remote it is. Maybe remote isn’t such a good idea anyway for a first ride.

Well, it is the south coast of England, “remote” is a tricky ask! You might have to settle for quiet, wild & secluded.

http://www.landscapesforlife.org.uk/chichester-harbour-aonb.html

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/cycling/346/

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

When you say intial train assist, where do you mean to?

For the North Downs route to the sea I outlined above, there is a station at Otford which you can get to from Victoria or St Pancras. Generally OK to take a bike on board outside peak commuter times.

Navigation for that is actually pretty easy – the Pilgrims way is pretty well waymarked and pretty much sticks close to the ridge of the North Downs all the way to the coast.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, the South of England is a crowded place, finding something really remote is going to take some effort but it’s possible. Have a look at this thread as an FYI, you can do these rides after taking the train London/Poole or link it up with the IOW ride I suggested linking Lymington to Poole by train over a weekend.

Purbecks

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Just to add to this..
    I’ve done lots of offroad long distance “to the coast” rides and one certainly not to miss/dismiss is the route along the south of the Thames out to north Kent. It really is a mix of hard working areas and docks through to expanses of mud flats and open flat land beaches with no one on. The wildlife is spectacular and you really do get a sense of wilderness. Sure it heads to Sheppy but you don’t have to stay there very long do you? Then head down the coast of Kent and if you can head south to Dungeness (as mentioned) Some spectacular places along the way..
    Other than that the offroad route to the coast from London is GPX’d all over Strava…

That actually sounds fantastic. Mud flats, open, flat, empty beaches and spectacular wildlife? Sounds amazing!!!!!! I will definitely have to give that route a go!! So you stay on the south of the thames canal, and just follow it east? Sounds utterly amazing to be honest. I was excited. Now I literally CAN’T WAIT! ADVENTURE!!!!!!! Just three more weeks of exams.. And I just need to get that damn dynamo on my Moonlander!!
    Offroad route to the coast from London on Strava? I will definitely have to look at that as well., never been on Strava before but everybody talks about it!

OP listen to what @bikebouy says
    FYI a lot of the South coast has fantastic paths, many on cliff tops but they cannot be ridden officially.
    If you do North/South Downs (both have great riding in their own right, I can provide some tips) then the pretty village/harbour of Bosham or West Wittering for beach and dunes are worth a visit.
    If you want an “ocean” experience I would suggest jumping on the train to Portsmouth then a Ferry to the IOW at Ryde and do a tour of the Island perhaps all the way out to the Needles in the West. You can get a ferry from Yarmouth (pretty town) back to Lymington and return on train to London.

I most certaintly am! He’s given me some really amazing pointers! Cliff tops sound pretty breath taking..But it’s still physically possible right? (; Just hope it doesn’t take all my breath haha.
    Thank you, I’m going to research the route to Brighton which I think passes North/South Downs, but I will come to you if I need any pointers ! (:

Loving the excitement!
    Well, it is the south coast of England, “remote” is a tricky ask! You might have to settle for quiet, wild & secluded.
    http://www.landscapesforlife.org.uk/chichester-harbour-aonb.html
    http://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/cycling/346/

Thanks! I honestly cannot wait to get out there and adventure! I really hope the weather lightens up (:
    Chichester looks brilliant in those links! Will definitely have to give it a proper look (:
    One of the reasons I was worried about remoteness is that the Moonlander attracts a lot of attention (unfortunately) and I’m very worried about getting it getting stolen off me, I’m not of a very big build either…

For the North Downs route to the sea I outlined above, there is a station at Otford which you can get to from Victoria or St Pancras. Generally OK to take a bike on board outside peak commuter times.
    Navigation for that is actually pretty easy – the Pilgrims way is pretty well waymarked and pretty much sticks close to the ridge of the North Downs all the way to the coast.

The problem with trains is that they are unlawfully expensive! And I really wanted to ride all the way to be honest, but thanks for the heads up. A well waymarked route actually sounds fantastic.

OP, the South of England is a crowded place, finding something really remote is going to take some effort but it’s possible. Have a look at this thread as an FYI, you can do these rides after taking the train London/Poole or link it up with the IOW ride I suggested linking Lymington to Poole by train over a weekend.

It’s funny how it is. Cornwall, even though it is very well known, is unbelievably isolated in some places. I really want to go there for a week, but train costs are ungodly!!!! Thanks for the heads up but I really wanted to ride all the way (:

brack
    Free Member

Chichester … What a wonderful place !

But then I live here and am biased..
    Just returned from a day at the beach and didn’t see another person..

Loads of quiet spots… You’ve just got to know where

And they aren’t for disclosing on here

But if you want a place to stay or pitch a tent give me a shout!

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about Train to Cardiff.. then follow to the coast to Milford Haven then get the train back

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Ride the Dunwich Dynamo, chap

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Chichester … What a wonderful place !

But then I live here and am biased..
    Just returned from a day at the beach and didn’t see another person..

Loads of quiet spots… You’ve just got to know where

And they aren’t for disclosing on here

But if you want a place to stay or pitch a tent give me a shout!
    I’m glad to hear that! And thank you! I think I may I have to take you up on that later! (:

What about Train to Cardiff.. then follow to the coast to Milford Haven then get the train back

😯 Milf Heaven? 😀

Ride the Dunwich Dynamo, chap

Just had a look at it, it’s described almost magically! It does look like a fair bit of fun, I’m curious if the route is on road?

singlespeedstu

WTF’s wrong with Southend.

irvb

Cloudnine – I’ve been toying with the idea of Cardiff to Milford – off road? or quiet roads? (I don’t want to end up on the M4.

OP – I live in Shoreham, and love it, but if I was heading to the south coast for the first time I’d head to West Wittering / Chichester Harbour.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cloudnine – I’ve been toying with the idea of Cardiff to Milford – off road? or quiet roads? (I don’t want to end up on the M4.

Easily doable to miss the M4.. just would take some planning on a route beforehand. Have a look at the Carten 100 route on strava (Cardiff – Tenby).. then pick some detours off that to take in more of the scenic, quieter roads or offroad bits.

irvb

Great, thanks

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Beautiful places by the ocean to ride to from London?’ is closed to new replies.