Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Beautiful early autumn day for a ride …
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Fantastic cycle commute into work today … 25 miles of gorgeous early morning autumn riding.

On one side the crystal blue sea glinting in the sun as the light catches the breaking waves … on the other side early morning autumn mists swirling in the mountain valleys as they slowly warm up after a chilly night.

Dodging rabbits as they scurry around, the last of the summer’s butterflies flitting past, and the swallows gathering on the phone lines preparing to leave on their long migration.

Spinning down singletrack country lanes, the hedges laden with blackberries, passing pastures with stately oak tress, heavy with their late summer foliage, casting dabbled patterns of light and shade.

I love riding at this time of year, seeing nature throw all its effort into making the most of the remaining sunshine and longer days before closing down for winter. It reminds me to make the most of getting out on my bike at every opportunity. It’s also a really reflective time of year for me, comtemplating how the year has gone, it’s ups and downs, a mix of pleasurable memories and slight sadness.

Best of all, if you have a bike, you can enjoy all of this just to get to work! And I get to ride another 25 miles home again tonight 🙂

binners

Rode in 15 miles myself this morning. With a dirty big grin on my face the whole way. I love feeling the cold as you watch you breath steam up against clear blue skies. Knowing you’ll be warmed up in a mile or so. Not too hot and sweaty, but not cold either. Perfect!!

Base layer for the cold, but still needing shades for the light. Its a dream combination.

And the best thing about days like today is still to come. The sunset. Why are sunsets on days like today just so much better than anyother time of year. I love starting a ride in the evening in daylight, getting to the highest point to watch the sunset, then getting home as its going dark

I LOVE riding at this time of year 🙂

cupra
    Free Member

Also had a fantastic cycle in to work, the same yesterday as well, but generally speaking I much prefer spring to autumn. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed. I am off in a bit to look for an alternative route to woork

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I took the car this morning because I was out till 10 on a night ride. Looked out the window this morning and the heart said yes but the legs said no.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i wish i could commute to work by bike but 35miles of hilly as dangerous fast car in country lane type riding means i won’t chance it….
    but on the plus side the bike is in the room next door waiting for me to finish work….a quick drive then i’ll be out at lustleigh til dark…can’t wait!

Mounty_73

Just back from going to the bank, via the forest and river, then back the same way, a great day for a ride! 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Yes yes, all very poetic and romantic, but it’s not autumn yet.

clubber
    Free Member

Wasn’t it just. I was out for an early one and despite being cold it was gorgeous out.

binners

Feels like it though. I’ve just been out for an hour at lunch too. A long climb up to the top of the hill, sit reading the paper and chomping lunch in the park for a bit, then the 1.5 mile straight downhill road back to the office in the sunshine

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! 🙂

binners

Where’s that clubber? Looks amazing!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Glorious full-ish moon-lit ride last night too. The wind has dried out a lot of the local trails and the undergrowth is starting to die back a bit.
    Nice and chilly, but lovely and warm in the pub 🙂

Hopefully out late tonight too once baby-sitting duties are over.

clubber
    Free Member

binners – it’s the beautiful city of Bristol!

AdamW
    Free Member

My 17 mile route in was OK, but nowadays a chunk is roadside. I like the crisp air (when no cars are about!) and seeing the sun come up is always sort of magical for me.

Though lights have started to be used for the journey in (well at least part) which means a descent into dark rides all the way to work and then all the way back again!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Nice ride round gisburn this morning with the dog. Saw Plenty of wildlife on the way pheasants, rabbits, deer and a very hairy creature on a bike that resembled Grimley the dwarf off lord of the rings. Think he was called Edd. 😀

Sue_W
    Free Member

Clubber – really nice dawn commute pictures!

Binners – ah, sunset rides, I’d forgotten about them 🙂 Post work ride home was too early for the sunset tonight, and after a 50 mile round trip my legs weren’t going to make it out again tonight (plus I was somewhat stuffed after the vast quantity of dinner I felt justified in eating!)

Looking forward now to the rustle of autumn leaves, crisp dawn air, and the smell of woodsmoke …

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Beautiful early autumn day for a ride …’ is closed to new replies.