• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Beauly-Denny powerline approval
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done already, but I've just been reading about the approval being granted for the construction of these massive pylons through, amongst other places, the Cairngorms National Park.

I can't help but see this as a terrible act of vandalism by the SNP gov't which I hope will come back to haunt them at the next election. While I'm all in favour of developing renewable energy sources, it seems self-defeating to do so in a way that despoils the environment for future generations. I can't understand why groups like WWF can bleat on about environmental damage in Indonesia, yet support the destruction of Scotland's wild places.

Do other folk see this as a necessary evil?

DickBarton

Just been reading about it? It's been on the go for at least the last 4 years…it is grim…the need for power is always going to be there, but the need to get it from way up there to way down here appears to have been considered in terms of cost rather than anything else – it is cheaper to construct the pylons than stick it all underground.

druidh
    Free Member

Despoils the environment? As far as Cairngorm NP is concerned, the line of pylons follows the A9. Sorry, but I don't get all misty-eyed when passing through Aviemore or Drumochter pass.

Oh – and check out the line running E-W that is being removed. A net gain I'd say.

J0N
    Free Member

I was under the impression that the new line would follow/replace the existing power lines, granted with larger pylons. The ground works to bury that much capacity would take decades and be as much of an eyesore for that time.
    Also, from the Diagram above much of the Cairngorm power lines will be downscaled or removed.
    I'm not totally up to speed on this but it seams a sensible and considered decision.

fatmax

Depending on who you listen to it's 4-8 time as expensive to stick them underground. I'm not sure to what extent the public enquiry has conditioned that they are underground in paticularly sensitive (landscape) areas?
    As Druidh says, its the A9 corridor so its not an unsploilt wilderness.
    If we are going to have on and offshore (turbines, wave and tidal) renewable energy, this was pretty much required to open up Scotland to the capacity for this. A necessary evil if not the most aesthetic bit of infrastructure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its going to be going thru the corryairack as well – replacing a small line thru there with a much larger one.

Myself I think more of it should be underground

epicyclo

No need for wasteful transmission if they brought industry to where the power is.

Just another example of Scotland's resources being plundered to little or no benefit to the locals.

donald
    Free Member

yet support the destruction of Scotland's wild places.

It's only a visual disturbance, it doesn't destroy anything other than the view. I think it's a necessary evil. Actually I think it's a necessary "unpleasantness".

duckman

Still, according to the John Muir trust,there will have to be significant "improvements" south of Denny as well.I suspect this is just a test case.You can download a letter of complaint from the John Muir Trust website.It is the sheer size of the pylons which is an issue.Bet they would have to be buried in Hampshire!

fatmax

Lots of locals are getting the benefit of wind farm developments, its common for local communities to get the benefit of a turbine or two from the developer e.g. community funds set up from the cash gained, or I'm working on a scheme where the developer is looking to improve local roads and access for residents, to cut journey times to the nearest town.
    Most industry is in Central Belt Scotland, most of the wind is not unfortunately. There are still huge wind farms in the Central Belt though – the one near Shotts and Whitelee near East Kilbride.

aP
    Free Member

Undergrounding power lines is stunningly expensive – take a look at the cost of that carried out in east London to free the 2012 site. No one can afford to do that.
    I do find it amusing though that in the 30s and 40s pylons (designed by Gilbert Scott) were seen as aesthetic objects and pride taken in them. Take a look at some of the pylon spotter websites.
    Are you guys going to complain about the wholesale National Grid replacement programme which must start before the end of this decade? Cause you'll be reading by candle light if you do.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Beauly-Denny powerline approval’ is closed to new replies.