• This topic has 40 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Beats headphones…
  • Flaperon

I solemnly promise that I shall never buy a pair of these as long as I live due to their crappy, noisy ad on the right hand side of the page.

Seriously, who in an ad agency makes the decision to blast music out of someone’s computer without asking permission?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

blast music out of someone’s computer

Buy some headphones you inconsiderate bar steward

DezB
    Free Member

Hilariously, people seem to be prepared to pay over £200 for headphones. Wiv a lickle B on them 😆

Cougar

That shouldn’t happen I don’t think. I’ll flag it up.

In the interim, might I suggest the “mute” button?

brassneck

Or a Premier membership 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Or [Nope!: MODS]

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Hilariously, people seem to be prepared to pay over £200 for a pair of pedals!

Jamie
    Free Member

Going to go out on a limb, and guess jaffejoffer has some Beats.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

haha, i dont actually. they look appalling. JSL.

stumpy01

I’d never buy them, as they seem to be a lot of marketing, with questionable performance for the price.
    Nearly dropped my vanilla latte the first time I saw how much they cost!

Kinda reinforced recently with a mate’s wireless Beats Audio speaker. £170 for a bluetooth speaker that doesn’t sound as good as my (admittedly non-bluetooth) £30 Mini-Max II speakers…! It does come in a case, I suppose.

everyone
    Free Member

The amount of people that think that Beats are the be all and end all of high end headphones makes me sad.

bigblackshed

Edit: That was ban hammer material.

Wind your neck in son.

cheers_drive

The fact that Applenjust purchased Beats shows how far they come from the original ideals for innovation to drive sales to marketing driving sales.

CountZero

I’ve got a pair. Won on eBay, complete with receipt, for £70, and I really like them. These are the Solo HD’s, BTW.
    There is, of course, a caveat; the sound quality, out of the box, is pretty lack-lustre, lots of bass, and not much top-end, so they sound pretty ‘wooly’, almost muffled.
    However, there’s a way around that, which is why I bought them, and that’s using an EQ app, like the one I use to improve the missing bass on my Etymotic ER6i earphones.
    With the app, the vocals regain all their sparkle and crispness, and a bit of a lift to the very lowest frequencies gives the bass more punch.
    I love them, they fold up really neatly, they’re comfy for long periods of wear, and I particularly like that you can unplug the cable, and replace it for peanuts, and replace the earpads and headband padding.
    Mine are black, and I’ve covered up the red ‘b’ on the earpiece as well, so they’re not too obtrusive.
    The new Solo 2’s are supposed to have had the acoustic curve altered, in much the same way that EQu lets me tweak the sound.
    I’d argue that now my Solos sound as good as an equivalent priced pair of B&W P3’s.
    This is the curve I’ve set up in the app:

[/url] image by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

They cost the vastly sum of $8 dollers to make no wonder Apple bought them

CountZero

Actually, Apple bought Jimi Iovine’s music business expertise and the Beats music streaming service, which is allegedly pretty lucrative, and saves them developing their own.
    It also gets them their own headphone and earphone manufacturing capability, letting them match Sony in that respect, and not having to worry about third-party suppliers.
    That $8, is that the basic Beats ‘phones, or the Solo HD’s, as there’s quite a difference in the actual quality.
    The Studio version is a nicely made piece of kit, they just need the acoustic performance modified to improve the frequency range upwards from 750Hz.
    Oh, and an iPhone costs $200 to make, and sells for $650-700…
    How much does a £200 pair of jeans cost to make, I wonder?

unovolo
    Free Member

haha, i dont actually. they look appalling.

Matches the appalling sound quality, have tried several different models in various outlets and only ever found 1 model(can’t remember which but circa £230)that sounded half decent the rest were utter gash.

For the outlay you really shouldnt be having to mess about with a app to basically ‘Fix’ them.

Style? over substance.

Cougar

My understanding was that the early Beats headphones were actually very good, just that they quickly realised they could sell as many units by attaching cheap components to white cables and setting the bass response to “phat” instead.

Jamie
    Free Member

Beats, like Redbull, has a maaaaaasive marketing budget.

CountZero

For the outlay you really shouldnt be having to mess about with a app to basically ‘Fix’ them.

That’s why I paid £100 less than a new pair. And also why the new Solo 2’s have had the sound altered to improve the upper end of the frequency spectrum.
    Sure, the Solo HD’s are a bit shonky sound-wise, which is why I wouldn’t suggest anyone buy at full price, but, and this was the point I was trying to make, the phones themselves aren’t too obtrusive, compared to some over-ear designs, are pretty compact, and the sound can be easily and cheaply fixed via software if you pick a pair up cheap.
    I’ve auditioned B&W ‘phones, both the P3 and P5 models, and I wouldn’t pay £160 for the P3’s, and certainly not £250 for the P5’s, my £70 Shure SE215’s knocked spots off them*! That was using my own player with music I was very familiar with.
    *IMHO, opinion, of course. 😉
    Certainly there’s a ‘style’ element to them, who wants to wear something really ugly, that causes small children to point at you and laugh! I was wearing mine the other weekend walking through a local park, and this lad with a skateboard said “like the Beats!” Which made me smile, I’m sixty this month! 😀

MSP

I was considering some beats studio 2.0 headphones, I want noise cancelling and one of the regular places they would be worn would be the gym, so I want them to be fairly low profile and not be made of materials that would be affected by sweat.

Combine those requirements and there isn’t many too actually choose from, but bloody hell they are expensive, far more than I have ever paid for headphones before.

bigblackshed

Just buy a set of Beyer Dynamics DT 250 or AudioTechnica MT-50 and listen to how the music was intended to be heard.

EQing to get Beats to sound any good is like instant coffee with milk. Not like the real thing, tastes or sounds like crap.

stumpy01

I read an article recently that claimed one of the reasons that Apple bought Beats Audio was to make their own headphone line that did away with the 3.5mm headphone socket, using their proprietary connector instead.

Ceebug
    Free Member

Beats are fashion headphones. The focus is image, not audio quality. They also make you look pretty daft. There’s no comparison in quality with sennheiser, b&w etc. You will never see a professional in music production, film, tv, theatre sound or djing use these unless they are paid a lot to do so and there’s a good reason for that. Ask anyone with HD-25’s if they need to use an EQ when listening to make the music sound ok. Professional producers and mastering engineers spend a lot of time getting the sound of the music correct and then Beats and similar types of headphones boost the bass response in a concerted effort to make it sound as rubbish as possible. (*imho)

ElShalimo

I’ll wager that most people that have Beats are listening to low bit rate mp3

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There is, of course, a caveat; the sound quality, out of the box, is pretty lack-lustre, lots of bass, and not much top-end, so they sound pretty ‘wooly’, almost muffled.
    However, there’s a way around that,

which is: buy some decent headphones. 🙄

GrahamS

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLa4fziHqD4[/video]

kudos
    Free Member

With the app, the vocals regain all their sparkle and crispness, and a bit of a lift to the very lowest frequencies gives the bass more punch.

Does it make the track “come alive”?

ninfan
    Free Member

Ref the video – I’m quite concerned about that blokes tool and household supplies organisation level – visible at about 55 seconds in 😯

Note not only the orange boxes labelled ‘sand paper’ ‘paints’ ‘sewing supplies’ ‘tape velcro’ ‘cold glue’ ‘hot glue’

But also a dyno-tape label below on the shelf showing where each box should go

😯

Then he says ‘masking requires precision, I am not a precise person….’

I am however impressed with the skateboard and axe wall visible at about 1:50

DezB
    Free Member

Does it make the track “come alive”?

It’ll take more than a eq app to resurrect that old Garbage track! 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

RE video: Casey Neistat is the guy. Check out his workshop video on YouTube.

gonzy
    Free Member

personally i think they’re overrated. my nephew has a pair so i tried them and to be honest i wasn’t all that impressed with the sound quality especially when they cost so much money. my sennheiser hd’s have better sound quality at less than half the cost!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

gonzy – Member
    personally i think they’re overrated.

Get away.

GrahamS

Casey Neistat is the guy. Check out his workshop video on YouTube.

He does have an epic man-cave/workshop:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb60rrtTddQ[/video]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair. Won on eBay, complete with receipt, for £70, and I really like them. These are the Solo HD’s, BTW.
    However, there’s a way around that, which is why I bought them, and that’s using an EQ app, like the one I use to improve the missing bass on my Etymotic ER6i earphones.
    I love them, they fold up really neatly, they’re comfy for long periods of wear, and I particularly like that you can unplug the cable, and replace it for peanuts, and replace the earpads and headband padding.
    Mine are black, and I’ve covered up the red ‘b’ on the earpiece as well, so they’re not too obtrusive.
    The new Solo 2’s are supposed to have had the acoustic curve altered, in much the same way that EQu lets me tweak the sound.
    I’d argue that now my Solos sound as good as an equivalent priced pair of B&W P3’s.
    involves a daft amount of work and can be avoided by buying decent headphones.

FTFY.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Regardless of the quality of the ‘phones, the advert is seriously starting to grate my helmetdale now. Especially as I’m listening to some fairly quiet, relaxing music on my headphones. And I can never mute it in time before the ‘AAAH-AH’ blasts out or whatever it is. Sort it out please!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    involves a daft amount of work and can be avoided by buying decent headphones.

That’s what I said. Why you no rissen?

SWIDT?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Seems to have gone, shhhhh, quick lets close this thread now before it hears us talking about it and wakes up

wilko1999
    Free Member

Crap, spoke to soon, its back

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That’s what I said. Why you no rissen?

Ha! Sorry – stopped reading after the mind-numbing post about complicated things that improve Beats headphones.

Great minds. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Beats headphones…’ is closed to new replies.