Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bearing tool/install, what do you use ?
  • weeksy

Had a tough time yesterday replacing some bearings on the Process153, just couldn’t get them seating straight easily…

I’m just using random spacers/washers and threaded bars, nothing ‘exact’

So was just looking for recommendations on what you use or indeed any tips and tricks. On the spearfish the bearings were smaller and seemed to go in a lot easier and straighter… but the Kona…. was a nightmare.

chvck
    Free Member

Big hammer and anything that fits. Although for my frame bearings I had to rig up a puller using a headset top cap and bolt, a crown race, washers and a nut. Those bearings were really stuck in there.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Removal – Hammer and punch
    Insertion – Rubber jawed bench vice and an appropriately sized socket has worked well for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SirHC

I use the Giant Maestro bearing kit for my Reign/Trance, for other makes I’ve bike I would be using one of these kits: http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/products/tools/bpet.html

unklehomered
    Free Member

Universal Adjustment Tool

Klunk
    Free Member

replaced the suspension bearing on the wifes stumpjumper about 2 months ago (first time in 9 years 😳 ) I found the easiest way to get them in straight was not using a press but sharp taps with a flat faced lump hammer until the the bearing is flush then pressed home.

tjagain

Studs and washers for me. Once its all nipped up snug make sure the threaded bar is central to everything. If a bearing starts to go in squint a tap from a hammer will often get in goings straight again

porter_jamie

I make an exact sized arbour on the lathe and either press them in using the quill on the manual milling machine, or apply heat to the component and let the bearing just drop in, depending on what it is

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bearing tool/install, what do you use ?’ is closed to new replies.