Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bearing replacement for a CK headset
  • carlos
    Free Member

As the title really, need a replacement for the lower cups

Took the forks out today and the lower bearing inner race and balls came out leaving the outer race in the lower cup. Managed to get the outer race out without damaging the cup and would like to know if the bearings replaceable

FWIW the headset is coming up for 6yrs old

Cheers

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Chris King headset warranty is 10years so i’d start with that!

njee20
    Free Member

You can’t buy the bearings, just the cup with the bearing pressed in. I had the same thing as you happen, but just rebuilt the bearing, pressed it back together in a vice and stuck it back in. Still fine 18 months on.

Mine was a lot closer to 10 years old though (indeed I forget if it was 10 or 11 years old), after 6 it’s worth a punt.

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah warranty is going to get a call today. You never hear of people making warranty claims on CK so wasn’t sure how good the back up would be.

Neej20 – that was my first thought, but with several bearings still hiding out on the garage floor it’s going to feel pretty ropey when pressed back together.

I’ve pressed in an FSA bottom cup, bearing and fitted a new fork race for now

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Talk to them, send it back-get it fixed very cheaply/free, refit & carry on riding.

carlos
    Free Member

Quick update (if ones interested)

I called up Evolution Imports who seem to be the warranty people, spoke to a really cheerful chap called Tom, but seems it might not fall into a warranty claim, as the inner race was stuck on the steerer. The way I see it is the bearing failed, but what do I know.

Anyway, Still going to send in all the bits I have and see what comes of it.

I’ll post back once I get a response or reply

njee20
    Free Member

Put new balls in. 50p.

singlespeedstu

Try getting in touch direct with CK.
    They are apparently much better with warrant claims than Evolution.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Put new balls in. 50p.

If you can find the right size. CK use custom sizing and can be hard to source. I had a similar issue with a seized BB. It cleaned up like new with a bit of WD40 and time.

You’d be better off finding the missing balls. I find a rare earth magnet does the job nicely.

Fat-boy-fat

I lost a ball bearing when servicing my Chris King headset. They replaced the bearing race FOC. Great service.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bearing replacement for a CK headset’ is closed to new replies.