Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bearing removal, using heat/ an oven?
  • jonbnorman
    Free Member

Hello,

I’m trying to remove a bearing from a swing arm and it isn’t coming out as easily as I’d have liked. I’m considering putting it in the oven to help the process (the swing arm is off the bike and will easily fit in the oven).

Two questions: 1.Is this a good or bad idea? 2.If it’s a good idea any thoughts on temperature and timing?

Thanks

richmars

Ideally you want to heat the outer part and keep the inner cool. I don’t think heating all of it will help much, unless it’s to burn off stuff that’s keeping it together.

Wally

Superstar blind puller set. Useful bit of kit.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Take it to a bike shop

neilwheel
    Free Member

If you have to ask it’s probably not a good idea.

Assuming the arm is aluminium then you will have more chance if you apply heat direct to the outside of the housing. Hot air gun is the best bet, you still need to be organised with a puller of some sort.

brant
    Free Member

Kettle full of boiling water can make huge difference to stuck bearings. Easy too.

daviek

As mentioned above if you place the whole thing in the oven youll heat everything up and everything will expand. what you really want is some heat directed at the inner race while trying not to put too much heat into the shaft. As brant says a kettle of boiling water might help if your careful when pouring it.

RicB

Cool it all down by immersing the swing arm in a bucket of ice. Then take it out and heat the swingarm material around the bearing location with a hairdryer. Should pop out easily

Bearing pullers are ok but not brilliant when the bearing is at the end of a springy chainstay/seatstay. You’re better off with threaded rod and sockets. These also make it easier to put the new bearings in

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hot water is your friend (and surprisingly effective).

jamcorse

+1 for ice and boiling water. Either way around but the bearing needs to be cold and the frame hot. Oven not a good idea as these alloys are heat hardened and I’m not sure what oven temps would do to the material’s performance.

tillydog
    Free Member

Aluminium expands twice as much as steel, so you don’t need to try and keep the bearing cool. As long as you keep the aluminium below about 120 degrees C, you won’t affect the heat treatment, even if you left it in the oven for hours. The paint on the swing-arm is more of a limitation – if it is powder coated, the finish will soften at surprisingly low temperatures (<<100 deg C).

Tipping boiling water over it is probably as good as anything. If you fancy using the oven, I’d go for about 60 deg C for 10 – 15 mins, but be aware that the grease may melt out of the bearings and and make your kitchen stink.

YMMV.

jonbnorman
    Free Member

Thanks to all those who replied.

Kettle of boiling water worked a treat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bearing removal, using heat/ an oven?’ is closed to new replies.