Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bearing removal help/ guidance
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi , I thought I’d have a chilled night removing and replacing some bearings. Totally stuck with the removing bearings part.

I have a rubber mallet and a drift . Which way do the bearings come out of the frame ? I’m presuming that say if we take the drive side , you press them in from the drive side, remove them from the opposite side?

Hectic!

norco sight killer b 2013

Thanks

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Anybody?

scandal42
    Free Member

I can’t help, but I can sympathise.

I am having an equally annoying evening trying to work out how to remove the bearings in my superstar hubs, getting purchase to push the bleeders out is a tad difficult.

badbob
    Free Member

pour boiling water over alloy frame part, should expand it enough to knock out

nuke

Looks to my like theres a lip on the inside on the bottom pic. In the top pic you can fully see the outer ring of the bearing so thats the side id take it out from and the new bearing would go back in from the same side

psycorp
    Free Member

I can sympathise on the superstar hubs. I had a go at the bearings In the front hub of mine and failed miserably to get them out. They are the Devil’s work.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

So the top pic that’s the side you press them in? So I turn it over (bottom pic) and hit them out from that side?

Thanks so far

andysredmini
    Free Member

You need to get something to support the removal from the rear. Something shaped to match the frame. Otherwise it will bounce around when hit and could end up damaging the frame.
    On a flat surface you can use a socket larger than the bearing but as the frame is not flat you may have to get inventive. You should be ok supporting on the 3 flat sides before the frame protrudes.

Sorry for the rushed reply

nuke

So the top pic that’s the side you press them in?

Id say yes. So yes, turn it over and hit downwards from the bottom pic side

tthew

I’ve got a problem with my Superstar (rear) hub and the drive side bearing. Hard to get out, almost impossible to press in I’d assumed the tolerances were off, but perhaps it’s a more common issue.

OP, once you have the old ones out, you need to press the new ones in using the a socket on the outer race rather than banging the inner. If you hammer it back you risk damaging the balls and races.

So the top pic that’s the side you press them in? So I turn it over (bottom pic) and hit them out from that side?

Looks like it.

Edit – but make sure you don’t collapse the bearing and leave the outer race in there or it’ll be a complete arse to remove.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s a f*cking nightmare . They do not even look like shifting even slighty.

I have a homemade bearing press , washers and planned to use the old bearings too to push the new ones in. Can’t get anywhere with getting the old ones out!

Should I soak it in boiling water or pour it on?

nuke

OP, once you have the old ones out, you need to press the new ones in using the a socket on the outer race rather than banging the inner. If you hammer it back you risk damaging the balls and races.

Instead of a socket, I use the old bearing you took out as it matches exactly the dimensions of the bearing going in. I dont hammer them in but just use a threaded rod with various washers & nuts to make a press

:edit:

I have a homemade bearing press , washers and planned to use the old bearings too to push the new ones in.

Beaten to it…spot on 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ha great well when I get these bastards out I’ll be able to get them back in properly. …!

mulv1976
    Free Member

Try using a metal hammer rather than rubber. I had same problem with some freehub bearings. A few sharp firm hits with a claw hammer and socket onto a wooden work bench got them out

devash
    Free Member

The boiling water on the alloy frame bit has worked for me before. Thermodynamics are your friend.

You could also try some penetrating oil around where the bearings contact the frame. Leave this on for a day or so then try the boiling water trick.

scandal42
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, on the superstar hubs is there a correct side to knock out from?

I imagined eiter side would be fine but getting enough of a lip to place something against is difficult to say the least.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi boiling water worked for one of them. thermodynamics may be my friend but bearings are my sworn enemy.

Gave up and took them to the bike shop. 10 quid all done in 45 minutes
    thanks all!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bearing removal help/ guidance’ is closed to new replies.