Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bearing re-use.
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Whilst poking round for something else I found the old bearings for the swinging arm of my 06 Enduro.I never throw bearings if they are not knackered as they often have a second life as something totally different. Thought they looked familiar then the penny dropped. They are the same as the poxy things in the original chain roller. Yeah, I now have 6 spares which is good as they seize in the first drop of rain. Tight I know, but these damn bearings only need to revolve not feel smooth so why spend money for nowt?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well, if they’re knackered they’ll sap energy even if they arent seized, but exactly – waste not want not.

Nobby

Pop the seals off ’em, clean & flush ’em through then repack them using Finish Line Ceramic Grease. It’s amazing how much life that stuff can breathe back into old/part worn bearings.

RicB

I reuse bearings all the time, especially pivot bearings because they don’t wear out.

I find it best to squirt in a few drops of chain lube once you’ve degreased them. Helps them roll much more smoothly. Thich grease doesn’t provide much lubrication – more of a water repellant I think.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use motorcycle chain lube a lot for this sort of thing as it “drys” well gooey

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bearing re-use.’ is closed to new replies.