Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bearing play in *new* forks
  • glenh
    Free Member

I have just got a set of 'new' (ie. unused) 2007 marzocchi xc700sl forks.

So far I'm quite impressed – need a bit of breaking in to loosen up the seals (much better after a couple of rides), but I'm enjoying the features + performance.

However, they have what seems to me to be quite a lot of play in the bushings, straight from the box.
    I thought this was a bit odd (my previous 2 pairs of Marz forks didn't have any play) so I whipped the lowers off to have a look.
    Everything looks fine, but the semi-bath oil that came out seemed quite dirty considering they had only had 2 or 3 hours of riding.

Is it possible that sitting around on the shelf for a couple of years has degraded the bushing surface somehow, such that they've worn very rapidly, or is noticeable play typical for '07 Marz forks/this model?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

apparently this is normal if you read the Marzocchi site. mine are the same – but need to go back because they've developed the TST wind-down fault.

glenh
    Free Member

I thought that the 'deliberate play bushings' where introduced for 2008 though?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I has a set of 08 MX comps, i could move them with my hands, in the end they replaced them and those i have don't knock. Won't be buying any more of those, Marzocchi forks. Going to way of another form manufacturer that starts with M.

the-muffin-man

Mine had play in the bushings from new as well – it felt very odd at first but you don't notice it when riding.

They've proved faultless over 2 years use and the bushing play is no more than it was when new.

glenh
    Free Member

Hmmm, well at least it's not just mine (same model/year muffin man?).

Will have to see how they go…

the-muffin-man

same model/year muffin man?[/]

Yep, these ones…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bearing play in *new* forks’ is closed to new replies.