• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bearing (or half a bearing) stuck in frame… advice needed!
  • daveg2
    Free Member

Dear kind folk of singletrack,

After a fair amount of abuse I’ve finally got round to changing the bearings in my Stumpy. Managed to get them all out with no hassle, except the very last one. The bearing completely disintegrated, leaving just the outer race and rear seal left in the frame.

Any ideas on how to get it out?!

Here are some images:

And from the back:

The lip on the frame means I can’t just know out the race. My only thought would be to drill it out, but I’d guess a bearing race is pretty well hardened so might be tough going.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Dave

Rorschach
    Free Member

Piping hot water helps.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

dremel with a small diamond grinding cylinder on it. very carefully grind through the race.

done this on two hope freehubs when a bearing did the same thing.

slow and steady is the way forward.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jota180
    Free Member

The thermal expansion coefficient of aluminium is quite a bit greater than steel – ~x2 rings a bell
    So it wouldn’t hurt to heat things up a bit whilst trying to get it out

gamerriley
    Free Member

I had the same thing happen on my stumpy. It took a small hammer and small screw driver with a lot of patience to get it out. Good luck!!

spacehopper

i used a Dremel with a tungsten carbide cutter on my old Meta..

took ages though as the bearings races are really tough..

cut a slot into the race slowly and steadily as said above.. and keep checking it as you go to make sure you don’t cut too far and into the frame…

you might not need to go all the way through either.. just keep checking as you go and the race may weaken to a point where the bit you have cut will easily collapse in and allow you to remove the race easily..

rocketman
    Free Member

Same thing on my Rize. Repeatedly heated it up with the mrs best hairdryer and patiently tapped it out evenly, like removing a crown race

daveg2
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Think I’ll give the bearing puller a go first, if that fails then I’ll have a crack with the drilling malarkey!

thorlz
    Free Member

Heat is your friend.

A heat gun (industrail hair drier) if available
    or failing that stick it in a bowl of boiled water, then try to tap out with a hammer/punch.

My favourite method, if you or anyone you know has a welder, weld a bead/blob around the outer race (obviously on the the inside), wait 2 minutes and it will fall out, probably want even need to tap it.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I tend to use the die grinder (dremel ) method and works well just take your time if its your first time

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Cheap Dremel copy for under £20 and an hour or 2 !

windydave13
    Free Member

Exactly the same thing on my enduro.
    I used the blind bearing puller, although I got nowhere with the slide hammer. In the end I used the blind puller along with a drift and hammer. Took way more effort than expected but got there.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The thermal expansion coefficient of aluminium is quite a bit greater than steel – ~x2 rings a bell
    So it wouldn’t hurt to heat things up a bit whilst trying to get it out

POSTED
    Or freeze it with plumbers freezy spray.

andyl
    Free Member

Or freeze it with plumbers freezy spray.

I wouldnt do this. Aluminium CTE > steel CTE so the aluminium frame will shrink more and it could crack if you get carried away.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bearing (or half a bearing) stuck in frame… advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.