Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bearing mix-up
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Went to the LBS for bearings on Saturday I needed three. Two I checked roughly in the shop since they were in plastic bags, the other was in a box inside the bag. The outside was labelled 6001 so I thought it would be okay.

Got home and it was the last one I fitted, and it turned out the inside diameter was too big by a mm or so. So I checked, and the box said 6100 on it, even though the bag said 6001. Hmm, I thought, someone’s made a number mistake, easy to do. Except laser etched onto the inside race is 6001.

a) Eh? Why, if the right size is etched on the race does it not fit? I thought (and was told by the guy in the shop) that only the numbers dictate the size and the rest (LB, 2RS etc) are just the type or the seal type.

b) Should the shop give me a refund? Removed the bearing but damaged it a bit knocking it out. Would you expect the shop to fess up to the mistake and keep the customer sweet for the sake of a fiver? Or is it my fault for not checking it carefully enough before fitting? Even though the exterior label was verified correct by the both of us.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have you measured it?

Are you missing a spacer?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s visibly quite different to the old one.

singlespeedstu

But you still fitted it?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What if the bearing you got is actually a 6001, and the one you already had is incorrect? Think about it…..

LeeW

It’s only the last 2 number which dictate the bore size. The 6 is deep groove and the first zero is extra light (I think).

If you can get one of the others out of the setting take that and the offending one back to the shop to demonstrate the difference. If be disappointed if they didn’t swap it for a good one. Even SKF ones are less than £3 each.

molgrips
    Free Member

But you still fitted it?

It’s visibly quite different when you hold them next to each other. Should’ve noticed it, but the external dimensions are the same so I didn’t.

I have the other one out cleanly so it’s easy to demonstrate.

survivor

I’ve had a bearing come out of a wheel with the wrong seal put in marking it as a very similar bearing but like yours out by a mm.

Has taught me to measure each bearing before ordering and again on before fitting…..

Trust no one 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s interesting ^^^

The number on my original bearing was on the seal; the one on the replacement was laser etched onto the race. So if that can happen then it’s possible my original was wrong.

coatesy
    Free Member

Had that with a DT hub, bearing said 6001 on the seal, but turned out to be a 16100, same OD, smaller ID. If the shop hasn’t sold you what you asked for, return it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Unless I’ve got you mixed up coatesy this happened in your shop. Sounds a similar situation to the DT one (do DT make bontrager hubs? I have an old art that say DT made on them) in which case no one to blame. Probably see you later 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like exactly the same issue. 16100 is 10x28x8 which is exactly what this one measures up as.

LeeW

16000 are just 1mm thinner, same bore size. It’s the last 2 digits that denote bore size.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems as though the bearings are totally mis-labelled. They say 6001 but are in fact 16100.

Sorted now though thanks @coatesy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bearing mix-up’ is closed to new replies.