Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bearing kits with pins
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I popped into my local shop today to ask the lad what his labour charge would be for fitting bearings.

He told me to get pins and bushings included with my bearing kit.

I know what bearings are, but what are the pins he talks of? Where do I get them and the bushings from? I’ve seen bearing kits, but I presume that is just the bearings themselves.

coatesy
    Free Member

Difficult to be sure without seeing your frame, but as well as cartridge bearings, some have bushes(like a pressed in sleeve) that runs on a shaft(probably the pin he’s talking about).

Xylene
    Free Member

Enduro ’04 frame.

sv

Bolt kit?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Unless he’s talking about the shock brushing I have no idea. All you need are the bearings themselves, I should know, I’ve just done mine!

Xylene
    Free Member

He was talking about wear in the ‘pins’ that made them wobble in the bearings.

I presume it must be the bolts.

I like the bikeshop as well, so may have to pop back to get this cleared up.

sambob
    Free Member

Specialized bearing kits don’t come with shock bushes, so you’d need to measure and order those seperately. I guess he means shock bolts when he says pins?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I don’t see how the bolts would wear, as nothing turns in the bolts, that why there are bearings in there.
    If you take the bolts out one at a time (4 in the rocker link, 2 in the chainstays and the main pivot) you’ll see the bearing doesn’t actually turn on them, as the inner race is held in place.
    It sounds to me like the guy doesn’t really know what he’s talking about.

wwaswas

you’ll see the bearing doesn’t actually turn on them

unless the bearing is siezed?

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey quirrel.

Would you be prepared to invest £20 in a vice, you can simply mount the vice to a piece of wood and then clamp it onto a convenient surface, removing it once finished.

I will make you up a simple but effective servicing kit, I will also show you exactly how to remove and fit the new bearings.

This isn’t a hard job and you can easily do it yourself, I have today off, and am making up similar kits for other riders anyway.

Gotta go just got my deemax wheels in yesterday and I’m going to service them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bearing kits with pins’ is closed to new replies.