Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bearing issues in an LX Hub
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of advice really…
    A fellow STW member bought some wheels off me a couple of months ago, they were some Mavic x717 on Deore LX hubs in pretty good condition (the odd scratch here and there – but nothing untoward).

I accepted a lower price than advertised as I really needed the money for some new forks following mine packing up, and he’s just got back in touch saying after 100 miles, the rear hub has started making a horrendous noise/feel; and long story short I think they want a refund on them.

When I sold them they were in great nic, no issues with the bearings and I had them slightly trued for him before posting. If I was aware of any issues I’d have listed them and priced them accordingly to avoid a situation like this.

I really don’t want to be a d*** and just say no, but the money has gone, I don’t have £90 just lying around and they were sold in complete faith that they were working fine. I’m always aware of an element of risk buying second hand gear, especially off forums where there isn’t the protection of ebay etc.

Not sure what to say to the guy or suggest – the last thing I want is something thinking I’ve mislead them to make a buck! Thoughts stw?

Phil_H

May I suggest the David Gourlay response, “oh, that’s terrible”

Mr Gourlay was an manager/accountant at my work who when presented with something he didn’t want to deal with would come out with the above phrase and dissapear. It was surprisingly effective!

woody2000

after 100 miles

JOG ON!

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think he has a case, given your description. Offer to go halfers on a repair – no need to refund at all.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So this is your first foray outside of the classifieds…….

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Yeah mostly stick to the classifieds… I really should branch out more I know!
    Trouble is I don’t actually know what the repair would be as I don’t know what the actual issue. I had them in at my LBS for a bit of a true and they didn’t mention anything about the hub or bearings (obviously I’m assuming they would as they’d like the business to fix them). I think if something similar had happened to me and I’d already have bartered down the price I’d just strike it up as one of those things that you get buying second hand sometimes, I know it’s happened to me before on more than one occasion!

cookeaa

Two months use (and potentially neglected maintenance) can do a lot of damage, clearly he thought hey were OK to ride as he’s fitted and used them for a while before complaining…

Sounds like the cones have come loose, IMO its not really your issue to deal with OP.

TBH Its one of the first things I’d look at when receiving any wheel especially a used one, rather than ride it till its shagged and then whinge…

Tell him to take it to his LBS and have them look, He may not have utterly bolloxed it, it might be as simple as greasing and tightening up the cones, it may need new Bearings and cones, possibly a free hub.

asbrooks

Half refund is steep IMO. It should be a quick and cheap fix. My wheels have the plain old deore hubs, and regularly need re-greasing. Especially in the winter months. I’d ask if the wheels have been jet washed after being ridden. they could have washed out the grease.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

2 months of possible jet washing and the fact they weren’t new wheels is jog on time. Does he want new rims and spokes next year too ?

taffy
    Free Member

As above theyve had it for a period of time and that is that.

I had someone do this 3 or 4 years ago which some XT’s on 517’s sold themn recived & happy with.

6 months later they messaged me saying that they had striped the hubs down and found a cone was damaged (not the bearing surface but part of the extended threade dsecion towards the center of the axle) with a snooty note i should have checked and stripped them before selling them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bearing issues in an LX Hub’ is closed to new replies.