Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Beards
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

First time beard grower here and looking for advice/tips on grooming, style, general care and maintenance.

I have 50 minutes till i leave work…. GO!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Beards are a by product of being too lazy to shave.’Grooming, style, general care and maintenance’ sort of defeats the point of the former.

trailwagger
    Free Member

So, just leave it then?

Rorschach
    Free Member

#yourmilagemayvary
    I err toward ‘vagrant’ at the best of times.

parkesie
    Free Member

I grew a beard did nothing to it bar wash when washed my hair I looked like a tramp

newrobdob
    Free Member

Shave, then you won’t look a) like a hipster or b) 20 years older or c) like Charles Manson.

Just sayin’ like…. 😉

lunge

Look in mirror. Are there any straggly bits? If so, trim them, if not, ignore. Done.

JackHammer

You can get beardsnakeoil, I havent used it but apparently it keeps it looking nice.

I got a Lush face pack thing for xmas that’s formulated especially for beards… god knows how. Just makes my beard smell of pineapple.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I had one for about 18 months but shaved it off during the summer when it all became a bit hot (seems like distant memory). A friend noted that I looked a lot younger without it but had lost my gravitas…..

joshvegas
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member
    Shave, then you won’t look a) like a hipster

Do you not drive an old volvo estate?

SaxonRider

I do pretty much nothing to mine other than wash it when I wash my hair.

I tend to look like hell, though.

aracer
    Free Member

Not really. It’s still more lazy to have a beard – once a week with the trimmers vs. every day with shaving cream, razor and lots of faff. Well kept beards look like you’re putting in more effort than you really are. Straggly beards which have no effort put into them at all look like you’ve given up on life.

philjunior
    Free Member

I just let mine grow and comb it/wash it.

It looks OK in a quite rounded way.

scotroutes

I stop shaving at the end of October (British Shaving Time) and that’s me until it warms up again in the Spring. My Mrs bought me a beard trimmer last Christmas. I think that’s a hint. 😆

wallop

All men should be aware that as they get older, their beards tend to take on a certain kind of aroma which should ideally be kept in check.

😆

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have used a beard balm, much better to use than oil. Means you can get the beard in to some kind of shape if you have lots of bits poking out here and there. I also use a beard brush with thick bristles, always after showering and drying.

Apart from the balm, do not buy the ‘beard moisturiser’ etc. that are on the shelves in Boots, just a cheap shampoo and conditioner a couple of times a week does the job.

mattyfez

Keep the neck line and cheek lines clean until it’s grown out a bit to keep it looking smart.

Straight down from the back of the side burns and then across the adams apple, youll figure out a line that suits your face/neck shape with practice. it helps if you have more than one mirror so you can see what it looks like from the side.

If you have some clippers or a trimmer, as its growing, use progressivley bigger guards until the beard is grade 3 or 4 legnth to keep the legnth even all over and avoid stray straggly hairs.

The neck line is critical, dont be tempted to have it high up following your jaw line, it needs to be lower: https://www.beards.org/neck.php

One it’s beyond this legnth you can start shaping it properly.

Pyro

aracer » It’s still more lazy to have a beard – once a week with the trimmers vs. every day with shaving cream, razor and lots of faff.

Once a week?! Once a year, maybe…

funkmasterp

Ignore the clean shaven boys. Embrace the beard!

Don’t attempt to do anything shape-wise for the first month. Then visit a good barber and have them shape it. Most folk cut the neckline too high and end up with clown face if they do it themselves.

Are you planning on a proper beard or something that doesn’t grow past the chin? Short beard, just scrub well to remove dead skin or you’ll get dandruff. Long beard, do that plus the below.

Get a decent balm (oil doesn’t give any hold) from Mariner Jack or Fellows, ditto for shampoo. Buy a decent comb (Kent are good) and a boar hair brush. Brush or comb once a day, apply balm every other day starting at the roots and working outwards. Use the brush or comb to finish. Shampoo once or twice a week depending on how oily your skin is.

Ignore the hipster jibes. I’ve had a beard for years, long before it became popular. Cut it last year and looked like the offspring of Moby and Casper the friendly ghost.

Remember, if you’re Dad hasn’t got a beard you’ve got two Mums 😉

trailwagger
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    Keep the neck line and cheek lines clean until it’s grown out a bit to keep it looking smart.
    Straight down from the back of the side burns and then across the adams apple, youll figure out a line that suits your face/neck shape with practice. it helps if you have more than one mirror so you can see what it looks like from the side.
    If you have some clippers or a trimmer, as its growing, use progressivley bigger guards until the beard is grade 3 or 4 legnth to keep the legnth even all over and avoid stray straggly hairs.
    The neck line is critical, dont be tempted to have it high up following your jaw line, it needs to be lower: https://www.beards.org/neck.php
    One it’s beyond this legnth you can start shaping it properly.

Brilliant…. nice post.

fasthaggis

Same as scotroutes,I stop shaving at BST till Spring, but recently all one of my friends has taken to pointing at me and shouting “Harold Shipman” .
    Oh how we laugh 👿 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

i grow mine long enough to comb over my bald patch

funkmasterp

Rorschach » Beards are a by product of being too lazy to shave.’Grooming, style, general care and maintenance’ sort of defeats the point of the former.
    Not really. It’s still more lazy to have a beard – once a week with the trimmers vs. every day with shaving cream, razor and lots of faff. Well kept beards look like you’re putting in more effort than you really are. Straggly beards which have no effort put into them at all look like you’ve given up on life.

Always see this and chuckle. I trim stragglers every day and look after my beard properly. It takes more time and effort than just running a razor over my face. Trimmers 😯 scissors only and a good straight razor for shaping

chilled76
    Free Member

I have one every 2 weeks. Then I shave it off, I can’t deal with regular wet shaving as it wrecks my skin. It’s not normal how fast mine seems to grow!

Had a wet shave last night and my wife always tells me I look ten years younger clean shaven.

Try trimming it into a shape from an early start, then keep that shape as it thickens in.

aracer
    Free Member

How much of that time is spent admiring it in the mirror? 😈

I’ll take back my comment about it looking like you’re putting more effort than you actually are in your case 😉

funkmasterp

How much of that time is spent admiring it in the mirror?

Most of it 😳

jimjam
    Free Member

For me a beard is an unfortunate practical necessity which makes day to day life livable. I wish I could be clean shaven but alas I cannot, because beneath my trampy beard hides a shockingly beautiful man of unimaginable sexual attraction.

Were I to shave and expose this masterpiece the level of sexual pestering from women, men, trans, intersex, a-sexual and even dead people would basically make my life hell.

But carry on boasting about your optional lifestyle beards. Inconsiderate ****s 😉

madhouse

Keep the neck & cheeks neat, as Mrs Madhouse says, it looks more like you intended to have a beard rather than couldn’t be arsed to shave.

Mine’s only a recent addition (October last year), think it’ll be a keeper though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you’re gonna groom it you might as well shave.

aracer
    Free Member

This – I should admit I’m currently sporting mutton chops (the version with a moustache joining them together) and it looks a lot better on me than a full beard did, even when I trimmed it. Surprising how much less time it takes to shave the bits I do still shave.

scotroutes

I have a beard for practical reasons, not aesthetic ones. The thicker and more coverage the better.

Cougar

First time beard grower here and looking for advice/tips on grooming, style, general care and maintenance.

I have 50 minutes till i leave work…. GO!

I hate to break it to you, but it’s going to take a lot longer than that.

Kryton57

Same as scotroutes,I stop shaving at BST till Spring

Likewise. I disagree with the lazy comments, by March I’ve got fed up of maintaining my beard and revert to shaving. Usually.

andyl
    Free Member

shaved mine off this morning. I miss it 🙁

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Cougar

I hate to break it to you, but it’s going to take a lot longer than that.

Maybe, maybe not. 😀

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAtKkWOU2s[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

I tend to look like hell, though.

You look like a hipster. Especially with the roadie cap.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that was what hipsters drove? Don’t they all go around on fixies?

Mind you there are a lot of beards in the old Volvo community, but mainly Swedish “our chins will fall off from the cold otherwise” type beards

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Beards are a by product of being too lazy to shave.’Grooming, style, general care and maintenance’ sort of defeats the point of the former

Yeah you just know that below fellow and ilk only keeps a beard so doesn’t have to spend 2 mins with the shaver every morning:

🙂

Beards are natural. Judgment of (and obsessing with) beards comes and goes, like fashion.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member
    Shave, then you won’t look a) like a hipster

Not very often. He can’t afford the fuel.

Sandwich

i grow mine long enough to comb over my bald patch

It’s a strong look RD!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Beards’ is closed to new replies.