Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bear with me a moment, Dialled Alpine as a fully rigid? – opinions
  • Vortexracing

Considering trying this fully rigid thing, did think about putting a rigid fork on my Cotic Soul, but my Alpine is hanging on the wall and not getting used too much (a bit heavy compared to the Soul).

so………

What about a 29" rigid fork on that. The 29" on-ones are 470mm A-C and appear to have very good reviews. I was wondering if to stay with the std 26" wheel or move to a front 29" one.

The 470mm fork is about 25mm less than the bike is currently at with the 140mm 66's on and 30% sag.

My opinion is that the 26" 440mm fork will be too short when used with a 26" wheel.

The other option is of course to try the 44mm 26" fork with a 29" front wheel. This would mean a new wheel, which i'm trying not to have to do.

anybody else tried this with long travel hardtails?

and opinions on the idea or which way to go (with associated pro and con's) welcome.

and by the way try to keep the p1$$ taking down to a minimum please. 🙂

Mike, your opinion would be ideal if your logged on.

scruff
    Free Member

Is it April 1st already?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Personally dont like rigid for off road …. you MUST post up pics if you do this though

JoeBones
    Free Member

Brave buddy, nae heed.

Vortexracing

I thought you were in bed with man flu John?

Northwind

I just stuck a 120mm-corrected Exotic carbon fork on my Soul… Doesn't take long to swap forks after all, I'll keep the revs usually but it's nice to have options. And it's ace, I doubt "the kids" would like it but it's like getting back to where I came from, only with the benefit of modern kit. It does take a bit of getting used to though…

The Alpine seems like the wrong choice though, since it's built for hammering and hammer is less on the menu with rigids. Though I'm sure it can be done, just not by me 😉 For me half the point is the light weight…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but footie on radio and wireless laptop 😆
    Are you also ill?

Vortexracing

Are you also ill?

by the opinions on here to this idea, it would seem yes, I am.

The Alpine Frame is only just a pound heavier than the soul BTW

Northwind

Yup, but a lb isn't too far off the difference between a rigid fork and a lightweight suspension fork. I reckon the Soul's on the heavy side for this sort of silliness tbh, that's why I'm eyeing up a Scandal. Though if I do that, I've ****ed up with the fork length I think, ah well.

Coyote
    Free Member

Alpine + rigid fork?

Wrong, wrong, wrong…

Chucky, a couple of Prince Albert owners have done this and used Surly Karate Monkey 29'er forks.

You're correct that 440mm rigids will be too short for a Prince Albert or Alpine.

Vortexracing

did they use 29" or stick with the 26" wheels.

and more importantly, did it work OK?

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

I should imagine it was sh*t

Chucky, they just used the 29'er forks to get a more acceptable a-c. They still used 26" wheels on them.

Vortexracing

cheers Mike, got to be worth a punt I rekon.

watch this space for some 2nd hand Karate Monkey 29" forks 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

*shakes head at thread*

Vortexracing

Now't ventured, now't gained Jamie

😆

Northwind

Any particular reason for that fork?

Olly
    Free Member

go for it, slackish angles will still make it a more stable bike at speed, and over the rough, woull just get battered around more.
    not at all the same as a "normal" rigid bike.

dunno about length, but other wise, go for it.

praps even with a 29" front wheel to help it over things?

Vortexracing

Any particular reason for that fork?

it's the axle to crown of around 470mm and it's a lot cheaper than the on-one. (which is also 470mm BTW)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bear with me a moment, Dialled Alpine as a fully rigid? – opinions’ is closed to new replies.