Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Bear versus Ray, who would you take?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Who would you trust to spend time with in a survival situation, Bear Grylls or Ray Mears? We are erring for Ray as after all the nuts and berries he has to do for TV he’s probably more likely to prioritise getting to a pub for pies, folk music and real ale. He’ll avoid eating dead and rotting things, might be less likely to try and convert you to scouting or God, but he’s probably not as fit and strong although the plumpness could be handy in case he dies first and you need to eat him. Mind you, you could die first waiting for him to make a tiny spoon from a huge log or building a massive canoe out of bark. Dilemma.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lofty.

Kuco

Burger King Mears any day, don’t get that fat living off the land.

SaxonRider

Ray Mears, hands down. He is less of a fraud.

nwill1
    Free Member

Depends if you have to fight someone or something!

MoreCashThanDash

Put them both on an island and then take the one who ate the other winner

simondbarnes

Ray

bearnecessities

I went out with a lass called Ray once, so chuckles at thread title 🙂

zippykona

Bear, then I could stay with him in his hotel.

Northwind

A bear vs a stingray? Are they on land or in the sea?

ninfan
    Free Member

Lofty.

I’ll see your Lofty, and raise you an Eddie McGee.

(Edit, Though I would also consider Jack Hargreaves)

km79
    Free Member

The Bush Tucker Man

alexpalacefan

Can I have the Bushtucker Man?

APF

dannybgoode

Ray. Reckon you’d live relatively comfortably with him around. Plus I don’t think Bear can whittle. With Ray around you’d have a set of sporks to eat with in no time…

zippykona

My dad was in the army with Eddie McGee. He was dead excited when Eddie tracked that murderer down in the 80s.

tinribz
    Free Member

Ray, went to one of his shows once. Based on 2 hours in his company, if the survival thing took a turn for the worst death might actually come as a relief.

kimbers

Ray

Bear would make you suchkthe goo out of frogs
    Ray would snare a rabbit cook it up nice and season it with some salt and pepper from his utility belt, only danger would be sitting opposite him round the campfire his short shorts might gape

lerk
    Free Member

nwill1 – Member
    Depends if you have to fight someone or something!

Even then, I’d wager Ray’s Judo would prove more effective than Bear’s whatever…
    Did I mention I have a massive man crush for Ray Mears??

Edukator
    Free Member

Ray I think he would be worth having around. I’m sure Bear would view me as food so I’d kill him and eat him before he did the same to me. It would be quite satisfying making a hearty meal and shutting him up for good.

piemonster

Ray, he’s spent his life learning how to live in the wild.

Bear, just seems to have learnt how to run away from it eating a few raw items on the way out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ray, hands down. His food is probably more tasty than Bears &……

I’ve been on a bike ride in Swaledale with his Mrs, Ruth, from the same village as me in County Durham. 😉

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ray here too, he doesn’t wear his own branded gear 😆

hammerite
    Free Member

Out of the two it would have to be Ray.

Although I’d probably go for Ed Stafford if I could go for another suggestion.

tang
    Free Member

Ray or Bushtucker man!

CountZero

Ray, without a doubt; he works with the land, Bear, always has to fight it.

ninfan – Member
    Lofty.
    I’ll see your Lofty, and raise you an Eddie McGee.

(Edit, Though I would also consider Jack Hargreaves)
    Jack Hargreaves? Showing your age a bit there? 😉
    I have to admit, Out Of Town was one of my favourite telly programmes, met Jack when I got taken to the Boat Show at Earle’s Court when I were but a lad.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Bear…you lot can have your fun around the camp fire …I’ll grab the 1st chopper out of here back to civilisation thanks

ontor
    Free Member

ray out of the two, but survivorman l. stroud over both.

My uncle was J Hargreaves. Sometime I should write a book about the family stories…

jimjam
    Free Member

If the shit really hit the fan Bear could pray his way to safety.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I do know someone who, around dusk near the end of a military training exercise, pulled one of these survival experts from a snow drift where they lay in a near hypothermic state and marched them back to camp.

it sounds like he wasn’t prepared…

loddrik
    Free Member

Swampy

ninfan
    Free Member

Swampy

I heard he was in pretty bad shape due to heart disease? Aparrently the doctors offered him a bypass but there was no way he was going to give up his principles….

I have to admit, Out Of Town was one of my favourite telly programmes,

It’s remarkable how educational those programmes were about so many of ‘the old ways’ that just a few years have seen us lose, how we have lost our connection with the land. I recall him telling us how to catch eels with a horses head in a sack of straw, fascinating old tricks. I must buy the box set, I believe his son in law has kept the archive going and restored a lot of the old episodes.

trademark
    Free Member

One is a fraud, so Ray.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Been said before… Lofty.

hora
    Free Member

Bruce Parry

sands
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Lofty.

aphex_2k – Member
    Been said before… Lofty.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4JP-JIYH6Q[/video]

Does anyone remember the name of a TV series that Lofty Wiseman mentored? (This was many years ago before any of the ‘SAS are you tough enough?’ type shows.)

There were a group of people from varying backgrounds being trained for a trek across part of (IIRC) South America. One was an ex-soldier who was a front-runner but got sick on the trek and had to retire. During training they had to put their heads in a terrarium with a snake in it. Also, I vaguely remember Lofty getting his beer stolen.

trademark
    Free Member

Bruce Parry

He would make very interesting company as you starved to death … 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Survivor Man all the way

Xylene
    Free Member

I met Sir Robert Swann a few months ago at a conference. He would be decent crack at beating either of them.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ray, hands down. Although he can be a bit preachy at times, he does seem the real deal.

Bear Grylls takes narcissism to a whole new level and is a Walter Mitty type character who would be more likely to get you deeper in the shit than out of it.

gordimhor

I’d take Mick Dundee

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Bear versus Ray, who would you take?’ is closed to new replies.