Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Bear Grylls
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t blame someone for making a living!

molgrips
    Free Member

Mears is just into knowing and understanding stuff though, which gets my respect. He probably could survive in a survival situation, but that doesn’t mean he has to show off about it or live like that all the time. No point in going over the top, why not eat at a restaurant if it’s there?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

He only did a couple of years at 21 (TA) SAS before breaking his back…

Yeah, and we know what a bunch of wusses they are! I mean, not like anyone’s ever died during the selection process. 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

People have died doing TA basic training and that’s pretty much a camping trip in green kit.

maroonbells
    Free Member

yunki – Member

for gods sake grow up.. star wars isn’t real either

It was in a galaxy far away and a long time ago so how so do you know?

pictonroad

I asked Ray Mears (at a Q&A session) how he got so fat living off leaves and berries, he said the bulk of his earnings came from corporate talks and ‘survival’ weekends with executives that were always extravagantly catered and he couldn’t resist a Vol au vent.

So now you know

MoreCashThanDash

Bear Grylls is also the current Chief Scout. Frankly, I think he makes a pretty good role model for the yoof of today, think it’s only keyboard warriors who feel the need to have a go at him

DezB
    Free Member

I asked Ray Mears (at a Q&A session) how he got so fat living off leaves and berries, he said… “Come here and say that.” ? 😆

trevron73
    Free Member

Wow – a lorra hate for these men .I was proper impressed he shows you how to survive if needed to on a mountain/ forest where we ride regular. i reckon he could beat the shit out of all of us and we wouldn’t see it coming .great program Whether its a fake i don’t care.How do you fake jumping through frozen ice ? who cares if there is a towel out of shot .The man jumped in a frozen frickin lake – that’s hard core 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Bear Grylls is also the current Chief Scout. Frankly, I think he makes a pretty good role model for the yoof of today, think it’s only keyboard warriors who feel the need to have a go at him

TBH, taking a step back. You know you are right. He helps inspire people, he entertains etc etc.

Go into a Gordon Ramsey restaurant. Is HE cooking for you? Its entertainment, inspiration and ultimately gets youth out there hopefully.

After all, the alternatives are Bieber, people who say ‘yo ****er’ alot in rap vids. No contest IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

This was really a rum truffle laced with apple juice, so I’m told

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25Eflr0oJ8[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Never done ice breaker drills?

I can assure you there are no towels. I don’t remotely dislike the chap. His programs are more “look at the bad shit I can do” than proper survival advice.
    I was just throwing light on his “SF” past. There seems to be a common belief is that he was a black suited Hereford door kicker, which he wasn’t.

grum
    Free Member

Wow – a lorra hate for these men .I was proper impressed he shows you how to survive if needed to on a mountain/ forest where we ride regular.

He doesn’t. Lots of the stuff he suggests is actually really, really bad advice.

I think he makes a pretty good role model for the yoof of today, think it’s only keyboard warriors who feel the need to have a go at him

Yeah, teaching them that if they are good at self publicity and not embarrassed about constantly bullshitting, they can do anything they want.

molgrips
    Free Member

I asked Ray Mears (at a Q&A session) how he got so fat living off leaves and berries, he said the bulk of his earnings came from corporate talks and ‘survival’ weekends with executives that were always extravagantly catered and he couldn’t resist a Vol au vent.

If true, I now have even more respect for him 🙂

The man jumped in a frozen frickin lake – that’s hard core

Is it hells bells. I’ve seen wobbly 80 year old Finnish people swimming in frozen lakes, not just jumping in and out. Done it myself in very nearly frozen lakes too.

Lots of the stuff he suggests is actually really, really bad advice

Mears’s actual survival advice is very simple. Stuff like stay with your jeep, someone will most likely miss you and come and find you. I went on one of his courses (he wasn’t there sadly) and in survival terms the top tip for starting fires was carry matches or a lighter, and keep them dry. Messing about with sticks is just for fun and interest.

yunki
    Free Member

grum.. how come you’re so hate-filled..?

I see you pop up on loads of threads hating this, or despising that, or denouncing everything as shit..

are you ok..?

grum
    Free Member

I see you pop up on loads of threads hating this, or despising that, or denouncing everything as shit..

are you ok..?

Really – like what? Links?

Sorry I don’t spaff over Edward ‘Bear’ – I don’t hate him though. Where did I say I hated or despised him (or anyone else for that matter)? I just think he’s a bit of a bullshitter.

Quite a comical over-reaction on your part though. 🙂

are you ok..?

yunki
    Free Member

links..!?
    I’ll just check my dossier.. 😆

have you really not noticed yourself though..?

matther01
    Free Member

Bush tucker man for me…although if you ate ray mears you could last a bit longer in the bush.

grum
    Free Member

links..!?
    I’ll just check my dossier..

have you really not noticed yourself though..?

Yeah, links – you know, like these:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-awful-shocking-terrible-horrible-realisation
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/grown-men-and-games-consoles
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crappy-day
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bastards

That awful, shocking, terrible, horrible realisation…

that STW has turned you into a bit of a nob..

Before I started posting here, I had a tendency towards being a bit animated in a discussion, perhaps even surly on occasion and a wobbly drunk but I had very little to prove..

Now I find myself almost unbearable

I try to avoid mixing with others offline any more, as I find myself looking for the flaws in every utterance, and I’m often completely overwhelmed with an irrational need to be right..

😛

DezB
    Free Member

You have grum all wrong! He’s a moosic lover 😀

by coincidence I’m halfway through a tedious 16 minute Ginger Baker drum solo! (but I digress)

yunki
    Free Member

maybe I’m just naturally attracted to the sorts of threads that bring out the worst in ‘im..

sorry Grumble.. 😳

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Prob not safe for work

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlsqZ214Mw[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

That is funny 😆 Can’t watch it all

acehtn
    Free Member

Hmmm

survive a plane crash with no hope of rescue for weeks.

A) survive crash only with Ray Mears or Bear Grylls.

B) survive crash with STW forumites.

Which choice would be the best to live through it 🙂

Lofty Wiseman has suggested a survive off, all 3 dumped on a desert island with no equipment or back up or TV crews.
    He reckoned he would eat the pair of them and Ray would keep him going for food for ages 🙂

P.S.
    i pick A as best chance of living, i reckon B would become a debate on what to do so epic that most would starve to death or dehydrate before any action would happen…..bit like Lord of the flies but with adults 🙂 and a bit more murdering out.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d pick C) Bruce Parry, you might still die, but at least you’ll have an enjoyable time of it.

acehtn
    Free Member

Best go google Bruce, haven’t heard of him.

If down under, then forget Ray/lofty/Bear, pray that Les is on the plane or lots of fat americans* to eat 🙂

(*they don’t taste like chicken i belive)

wrecker
    Free Member

lofty is a complete legend.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

I think he’s entertaining to watch, even though Ray Mears is more than likely a better bet when it comes to survival, he is fooking boring.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ever seen Bruce Parry and Simon Ralli in the same room? No, you haven’t, have you?

mikey74
    Free Member

He may be a bit of a fraud but I’d rather more people watched Bear Grylls instead of that Made in Chelsea, or other similar sh*te.

acehtn
    Free Member

I only get pauperfreeview channels so no Bear Grylls show for me, i belive it’s on that rich peoples sky tv.

Ray crops up on Dave a lot though, and he did a few shows with Les, no re-runs of “Bush Tucker man” yet on freeview 🙁

singlespeedstu

yunki – Member

are you ok..?

TBF to grum he hasn’t had a good old moan and bitch on a singlespeed/29er/650ber/fatbike/anything tazzy has posted on thread in ages.

😀

colournoise

I reckon if rather be with Bruce in a survival situation. Seems resourceful, able (albeit maybe with the support of a production crew) to get in with the locals, and actually seems to have served and operated in some remote areas.

Plus he has that friendly thing going on, but look at his eyes – I reckon he’d dispatch both Bear and Ray without skipping a beat.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Lofty once did a butchery exhibition with some senior officers there to observe him passing on the Training. Used every part of the sheep for one thing or another and was left with the genitalia. “Right then what are we going to do with this?” “Cook it” came a response. “No stick pips on it and send it to Sandhurst with the rest of the #%^}{“

I would bet on him coming out on top against the rest. He also though Peter Duncan was a Jessie when he did Duncan dares with him. Another Chief Scout

bikebouy
    Free Member

I met BG once, his Mother Lady Grills used to be a client of mine.. She was always bogging him up.. I found him annoying and only had one 20min meeting with him. 😆

I like Ray and Bruce though.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Ray feeding crocodile on itv now

brack
    Free Member

Met BG …..well sat on his pre event table for his balloon dining record attempt.

As an ex squaddie..I like a bit o banter…he didn’t.

Though his ex mil security team did

athgray
    Free Member

There are plenty of thinks that can kill you in Darwin. Ray is on the look out for cholesterol.

matt22
    Free Member

I think hes a good role model for the kids by doing and introducing the outdoors to them. Its entertainmaint TV and needs to be taken at that value, He was 21 SAS and yes its not the same intense 6 month selection process but you still have to pass an extremely tough criteria.

I’ve personelly done Ice breaker drills in Skjold, North Norway, It was minus 32C at the time and just being out the water was F%%%%ng Freezing, but the reason why you roll in the snow is to remove as much excess water as possible, It doesnt work that well but anythink to help,the experiance of your body starting to shut down is pretty mental but if you follow the drills and get your core warmed up quick enough you can survive

twoniner
    Free Member

Mears actually has instructed combat survival on UKSF selection.

This, I’ve had some cracking grub from holes in the ground turned into ovens! The lamb was lovely although eating undeveloped eggs straight from a gutted chicken was vile 😐

I’m not a fan of Bear, a bit over the top for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Bear Grylls’ is closed to new replies.