Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Beagle2 – close but no cigar
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Bu99er – nearly made it.
    What a shame… certainly doesn’t seem like that long ago.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah i was convinced they had made a mistake when writing 2003. Thought it was 2013! Real shame but brilliant its there. I mean , on Mars! another Planet!

Shame Colin Pillinger didn’t live long enough to find out what happened to it.

kimbers

amazing, travelled >60millionn km and only 5km from the target site !!!!!!!

Northwind

Fascinating stuff. Looking forward to the day when someone can drive over in a golf buggy and take a look at it, figure out what went wrong. Put up a sign maybe.

Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

I also had to double-check the date this happened. I still can’t believe it was that long ago. 😯

Where does the time go? 😥

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We all know Colin would have been very satisfied to see this, although his goal was really the science. I was one of the first people so see the final image of Beagle-2 flying away from Mars-Express. Great to see an image showing that it landed where it was supposed to, in one piece, and was functioning up to the point of full solar panel deployment.

It’s good news: the mission got much further thought. After full solar panel deployment, the next step was to turn on the transceiver and call home. Had that happened, then we almost certainly would have had some sort of operational mission.

Just 2 steps away from success. Well done team GB!

Cougar

Waste of a good headline, I’d have gone with “The Beagle Has Landed.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Beagle2 – close but no cigar’ is closed to new replies.