Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Beach/sand riders.. I need advice
  • yunki
    Free Member

OK, I’ve moved back to an area where the trails run through a lot of pebblebed heathland, which is ok.. but associated with that is a preponderance of sand..

I’ve not really noticed in the past, but after a couple of years of being spoilt by open moorland, the sudden encounter with this insidious, gritty, bike destroying menace is very traumatic..
    How the hell do you sleep at night knowing that you are putting your components through it..?

have you got any hints and tips for dealing with this abrasive onslaught..? Are there any preventative measures that I can take to ease the anxiety..?

What extra precautions should I take with maintenance and will I have to employ a dedicated full time team of umpa lumpas to try and keep on top of it..?

ajantom

That sounds a lot like my local trails up Woodbury Common.
    First off, full-sus is a no-no…..hear the bearings screaming for mercy.
    I just make sure I clean the chain and rings well after every ride.
    Does make for well drained, all year round riding though 8)

charliedontsurf

Rigid single speed works for me.

smiff
    Free Member

the only thing i’d do different is use a light chain lube like ProGold. wash everything off easily after ride and hope no grains get through your shock wipers. other than that, just carry on as normal!

sand (not deep soft sand though that’s just shit) + full suss is my favourite kind of riding. i guess some kinds are worse for components than others, depends what’s innit, dunnit.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Squirt lube is the answer

flashes
    Free Member

or SS fatbike, simples……………

bikebouy
    Free Member

Around here there’s a lot of that stuff too.. It’s something I’ve had to just get used too over the years. I find the crushed shingle the worst, not the fine sand, although that’s a proper mech eater. No it’s the fine shingle ( busted shells and sand grains that are slightly larger than yer average grain ) This stuff gets everywhere and invariably it’s wet or damp so it sticks, then you’ll ride through dry stuff and it’ll stick to the damp stuff.. Then you’ll ride in the dunes or trails just off the beaches and they’re full of a mixture of shingle/sand/mud..

How do I cope? Well I spend 3 days a month with a shrink. 😆
    No, no not really.

Ok.. So dry lube on chains, try to steer clear of the sticky stuff,GT85 helps but it’s not the answer, anything that promotes sand sticking is just the worst thing, WD40 was my friend for many years despite the derision of mates, sand just doesn’t stick to it..
    But the only thing that’s helped me is a dry silicone spray, I use something from the Dinghy/Sailing/Windsurfing world called McLube. It’s a dry silicone and you do need quite a lot of it, once sprayed on it drys like a white film, nothing sticks to it and it promotes slippage, so sand and the like fall off, or not stick. It’s expensive mind, £8.00 per can but as I buy it for sailing I also use it for rides that will include sand/shingle ( like the other days ride )

As far as cleaning goes, well I don’t modify my routine much, I do jet wash my bikes a lot, in part cos I’m a lazy git but in the main it’s due to a lot of the conditions I ride in here revolve around the conditions I’ve mentioned above, then I lube fully and I’m a bit anal like that, bit specific and cleanliness is next to Godliness so they say.

I can honestly say that modifying your rides/routes to avoid sand will take away some great riding and some spectacular views so its one of those things you just have to get used too and really enjoy.

So using the McLube stuff I only went through one chain set over 18/24 months ( XT on my old F1 Dale Lefty ) and I rode quite a lot on the stuff around here,,the lefty had one service and that was only a precaution rather than a need.

I’ve been riding SS for some years now and it’s not the sand that’s made me change, I just love the simplicity of riding.

HTH.

Enjoy your new conditions.

yunki
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.. As a bloke with only one bike I keep looking at the situation and wondering how frustrating it would be to only have a singlespeed.. I’m not convinced just yet..

Ajantom – The conditions on my local trails are absolutely 100% exactly the same as Woodbury in every detail.. hello 😀

ajantom

Ah, hello 🙂 whereabouts you based then? I’m in Ottery.

d45yth
    Free Member

I think there was a guide to beach-proofing bikes over on Coastkids website.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Howdo,
    Didn’t know you’d given up Liverton. Woodbury certainly is a bike killer if wet, was up there last Sunday in near perfect conditions for there, barring the perma-gloop. Singlespeed would be my choice at the merest hint of wet there.
    My partner lives in Ottery, so perhaps hook up anon.

coastkid
    Free Member

I have rode a 2×9 drive chain fatbike on the coast now for over 5 years,
    Most of my riding is over salt water rocks and sands exposed twice a day and i ride through stuff most people would never consider to ride their bike including hub deep sea water exposure,
    Loads of folk said it cannot be done and it will seize up or fall to bits etc… but perseverance, experimenting and a bit of prep and Coppergrease and you can keep a bike running in these conditions easy, Just needs a different approach to the regular bike maintenance ethics, and take a wee look at the Marine motor enviroment 😉

Bike Preperation for beachriding

yunki
    Free Member

thanks all..

I ripped all the gears off the other evening in an impulsive frenzy.. been out for a test ride running 32:16 and can’t say that I’m disappointed with the decision..

And while I’m only managing to grab a couple of hours here and there after the kids are in bed at the moment, according to strava my average power has practically doubled, so I may even get a bit fitter as a result..

Ajantom – I’m in Exmouth, about a five minute ride from the common

and yes Jim, although I’m still having difficulty planning anything more than an hour or two in advance at present..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Beach/sand riders.. I need advice’ is closed to new replies.