Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 'Beach Proofing' a bike???
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Had a run out down some bridle-paths to the beach today.. sat there sunbathing and eating icecream with the kids.. i decided its time for a big low tide ride…

Whats the best way to beach proof my bike??
    Will probably use my Tripster with 38c tyes.. but what about all that sand / salt? What should i protect? What chain lube? Or just do the ride and big clean after?

nickjb
    Free Member

If you get it sandy and salty then it’ll die very quickly. Singlespeed rigid fatbike is the best option.

T1000
    Free Member

Copper grease for all bolts

Graphite or marine wheel bearing grease

Dry wax lube for chain

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Stay out of the water, makes ure there’s no grease around to attract sand [forks, mechs, brake levers etc] and use something like this

[totally degrease the chain 1st]

Suggsey
    Free Member

My opinion on the matter is just ride it like normal then go rinse it off after and relube……..I rode my Stiffee all day on the surf line in Suffolk on a roasting sunny day last summer and absolutely nothing has rusted/seized/disintergrated a year on…… 😆

Drac

Lube it before rinse it down after and relube simple as that.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I also have aluminium nipples on my wheels… seem to remember alu not really liking salt. If the chain / cassette gets all sandy wont it just destroy it in a short amount of time?

johnnystorm

ACF 50 on your rims/nipples(!) before you go and hose it off with lots of fresh water asap when you get back.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Salt and dissimilar metals is not good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘'Beach Proofing' a bike???’ is closed to new replies.