Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Be very, very careful what you click on…
  • CountZero

There are some very unscrupulous people out there, and in this instance it isn’t the Russians, the Chinese or the North Koreans:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/how-bill-marczak-spyware-can-control-the-iphone
    Thankfully, there are some very, very clever ones as well.

jam-bo

I’m not clicking that.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I realised it wasn’t an article to be taken seriously at this point.

A trim Ph.D. candidate with dense brown hair and a disciplined beard, Marczak wasn’t just another excitable, fast-talking Berkeley grad student.

😕

kimbers

we are all being watched

mostly by 100s, 1000s? of civil servants

https://yiu.co.uk/blog/who-can-view-my-internet-history/

Who can view my stuff?
    A list of who will have the power to access your internet connection records is set out in Schedule 4 of the Act. It’s longer than you might imagine:

Metropolitan police force
    City of London police force
    Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
    Police Service of Scotland
    Police Service of Northern Ireland
    British Transport Police
    Ministry of Defence Police
    Royal Navy Police
    Royal Military Police
    Royal Air Force Police
    Security Service
    Secret Intelligence Service
    GCHQ
    Ministry of Defence
    Department of Health
    Home Office
    Ministry of Justice
    National Crime Agency
    HM Revenue & Customs
    Department for Transport
    Department for Work and Pensions
    NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
    Common Services Agency for the Scottish Health Service
    Competition and Markets Authority
    Criminal Cases Review Commission
    Department for Communities in Northern Ireland
    Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland
    Department of Justice in Northern Ireland
    Financial Conduct Authority
    Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
    Food Standards Agency
    Food Standards Scotland
    Gambling Commission
    Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
    Health and Safety Executive
    Independent Police Complaints Commissioner
    Information Commissioner
    NHS Business Services Authority
    Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust
    Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
    Northern Ireland Health and Social Care Regional Business Services Organisation
    Office of Communications
    Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
    Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
    Scottish Ambulance Service Board
    Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
    Serious Fraud Office
    Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust
    I always wondered what it would feel like to be suffocated by the sort of state intrusion that citizens are subjected to in places like China, Russia and Iran. I guess we’re all about to find out.

Who else can view my stuff?
    Bulk surveillance of the population and dozens of public authorities with the power to access your internet connection records is a grim turn of events for a democracy like ours.

Unfortunately, bulk collection and storage will also create an irresistible target for malicious actors, massively increasing the risk that your personal data will end up in the hands of:

People able to hack / infiltrate your ISP
    People able to hack / infiltrate your Wi-Fi hotspot provider
    People able to hack / infiltrate your mobile network operator
    People able to hack / infiltrate a government department or agency
    People able to hack / infiltrate the government’s new multi-database request filter
    I’d wager that none of these people have your best interests at heart.

Sadly, if the events of the past few years are anything to go by, it won’t take long for one or more of these organisations to suffer a security breach. Assuming, of course, that the powers that be manage not to just lose all of our personal data in the post.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Just because they can doesn’t mean they do 🙂

santacruzsi
    Free Member

It’s not a free for all in this data, it does go though rigorous application measures and the likes of proportionality and necessity are assessed. It’s nothing new.

devash
    Free Member

Ah, I thought this thread was going to be about Goatse.

johnners
    Free Member

It’s not a free for all in this data, it does go though rigorous application measures and the likes of proportionality and necessity are assessed. It’s nothing new.

lol. Apart from the “nothing new”, that’s true.

jonnyboi

I’ve worked for a couple of those, they are fairly dysfunctional and run by balloonatics, which doesn’t inspire confidence.

I did write something stronger and and self moderated it, but got pinged for attempting to circumvent the swear filter. Oops

CountZero

Having read the article, it’s not about surveillance being carried out here so much as the devious software that’s been designed to side-load onto iPhones, and allow various governments who are not exactly known for their human rights records to spy on dissidents.
    This particular malware is unique in that it contains three separate zero-day exploits, each requiring the one before to complete a set operation before the next can load, the ultimate result being subversion of the actual kernel in the OS, all done remotely, something it had never been thought possible.
    The developers appear to be Israeli, with European involvement, which makes their client base even more disturbing.
    I’m no conspiracy nut, my frequent comments on many threads by the usual suspects shows that; this is more about just how incredibly devious, and how very, very clever, the hackers are, and that it’s not the usual culprits who are involved.
    Reminds me rather of a book I read years ago, Cuckoo’s Egg, about a group of Russian hackers discovered by accident by a sysadmin at an American university.

andyl
    Free Member

Ah, I thought this thread was going to be about Goatse.

I was thinking meatspin

jkomo

Meatspin?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Meatspin?

Google it 😆

That was going back to the good old days of the internet when things like that and tubgirl where about the worse things you could click on 😯

brant
    Free Member

Meatspin

It’s what happens at a lemon party.

footflaps

You mean like the Investigatory Powers Act which was used by councils to spy on people who put their recycling in the wrong bin?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3333366/Half-of-councils-use-anti-terror-laws-to-spy-on-bin-crimes.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Be very, very careful what you click on…’ is closed to new replies.