Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Be careful what you wish for…. (emigration content)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

For years now, I’ve been keen on moving to Canada but, because of my age, I need a company to sponsor me, which I’ve had no luck finding. During this time, I’ve started studying for a BSc Geology, which i love, and want to see through.

Meanwhile, I get home from Canada a few weeks ago, suffering from some post-holiday blues, and in the middle of the Uni summer hols, I send in a job application to a company in Vancouver. Guess who phoned me up a couple of hours ago, saying they are very interested and have a special department who deal with immigrations for new staff. They’re going to line up a telephone job interview for this week 😯

My dilemma (getting ahead of myself, as usual): I really want to finish Uni (for personal, as well as potential professional reasons). However, at 43, this is likely to be my last (and only) chance to move to Canada (or is that being melodramatic?).

I can do my Uni course completely distance learning, which I’m planning on doing anyway, which helps, but i suspect doing a degree whilst moving to a new country and starting a new job probably won’t be the easiest thing to do.

oldnpastit

Do it.

Send us a postcard though.

nealglover
    Free Member

Defer degree for a year. Move. Settle in. Carry on degree later.

You can study any time.

tjagain

Canada.

edlong
    Free Member

i suspect doing a degree whilst moving to a new country and starting a new job probably won’t be the easiest thing to do.

So do the easiest thing to do then.

You won’t regret that. Oh no, definitely not, no regrets. None at all.

Good luck with the interview.

siwhite
    Free Member

Go. Start afresh there if needs be. Degrees are ten a penny; chances to move to Vancouver are like hens teeth.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Canada

Pigface
    Free Member

BC is stunning, go for it.

deadslow

Just Do It and move.
    Spent an amazing 2.5 weeks with the family in Vancouver and all over British Columbia. If the industry I worked in wasn’t all based in Toronto the whole family said they would move tomorrow.
    Embace the opportunity!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Congratulations and good luck with the interview. Uni can wait a bit and/or you’ll find a way if you want to (employer may be keen to help).

mikey74
    Free Member

So do the easiest thing to do then.

You won’t regret that. Oh no, definitely not, no regrets. None at all.

Sorry, I didn’t really mean it that way.

Thanks for the unanimous support :mrgreen: As I said, I’m probably jumping ahead of myself.

jambourgie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qvNk52mXiU[/video]

nickc

canadia

pk13

Having been and still having friends over that way

DO IT

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t need to be sold on the beauty of the place 😀 : I’ve been every year for the last 11 years and two of my best friends live there, having moved 5-6 years ago. So, it’s not as if I won’t know anyone.

hillsplease

Canada. Can all the responding for forumites come and stay please? Will bring beer.

Degree will travel or is there scope for a sponsored degree there?

mikey74
    Free Member

I doubt there’ll be scope for sponsorship as the role is architectural, and my degree is Geology, so I can’t imagine they’d be interested in sponsoring that.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Do it. You will regret it otherwise

wrightyson
    Free Member

Firstly as above, good luck with the interview, secondly go.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Canada.

PS, |Warum heisst Canada Canada?

Weil es gibt keiner da.

Northwind

Speaking as an advocate/borderline zealot for adult/lifelong learning and university- go to Canada.

(you can generally take a suspension of studies from your choice, letting you take time out then return; if so, that might make it an easier decision since you’re taking a potentially last-chance opportunity for Canada, while only pausing an opportunity here.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Canada. Wish I’d been in a position to do what you can do.

Saxon will be along soon though to tell you not to bother! 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Thank you for all the comments. I know what i have to do, given the opportunity (it may not come to anything, of course). The only thing is: I’d have to find something new to be a grumpy git about :mrgreen:

m0rk
    Free Member

Do it.

I’m going in two months after a firm called me.

In fact, I was there last week house hunting.

Other side to BC, but can’t wait to get back

john_drummer
    Free Member

Go. BC is wonderful. if I could get a job there I’d be off like a shot. Having family there helps

martymac

Been to Canada several times, have friends in ottawa, i must have met around 30 ex pats, all from Scotland, I’ve asked every one the same question ‘would you even consider moving back to Scotland?’
    Every person has given the exact same answer ‘No Way!’
    45 isn’t too old, they will look upon your age and experience as a positive asset.

mikey74
    Free Member

45? OI! Stop added years 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Well that went well [not sarcasm] 😯

scaredypants

you’ve been offered the job ?!!

manton69

Details…………

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you get the job then ?

hot_fiat

Go!

See if you can use credits from your course against a course at UBC

mikey74
    Free Member

It went well, but only finished an hour ago 😆

However, the guy who’s team I would be joining left the interview saying he was very excited about me joining.

The HR lady said she’d already consulted their “global mobility” team and they estimated 3-4 months, assuming they were to offer me the job.

jkomo

Good luck, 53 is no age these days.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s really rather excellent news.

Relax and enjoy the last days in the U.K. then 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

53? Funny, very effing funny :mrgreen:

SaxonRider

It sounds like you will, but you must go for it. As someone whose remit is – at least in part – to facilitate the distance study of post-graduate programmes, I can assure you that when it comes to your academic work, you will be able to pick it as and when.

The move to Canada, however, will not wait.

-A Canadian who did what you want to do, but in reverse.

seadog101

Do It!

Moving won’t be as big a deal as you fear it to be. Canada is so neatly culturally connected to the UK that you will get the hang of the place very easily.

We’ve move country three times (UK-OMAN-NZ-UK), and always imagined it be a much bigger deal than it really was. Packing and shipping was the biggest hassle TBH. Getting organised with all your paperwork will just happen.

rs
    Free Member

Do it, the only downside is housing prices, especially now. It’s a desirable place to live so its expensive, and its a desirable place to live so they can pay cheap wages and people will still live here. I still make much more than I did in the uk, its all relative, you’d make much more money in Alberta and house prices would be half as much.

Are you going alone or with a partner? Two incomes make it easier. Do you have cash from house sale in the uk?

As a reference, my 2 bed condo in North Van could sell for $750k’ish, that’s about 450k pounds. Rents for similar will be about $2.5k/month.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks. To be honest, it’s the job that makes me more nervous than moving countries: I’ve been to Canada enough to know it fairly well. Of course, with them sponsoring me, there will be some pressure to live up to expectations.

Do it, the only downside is housing prices, especially now. It’s a desirable place to live so its expensive, and its a desirable place to live so they can pay cheap wages and people will still live here. I still make much more than I did in the uk, its all relative, you’d make much more money in Alberta and house prices would be half as much.

Are you going alone or with a partner? Two incomes make it easier. Do you have cash from house sale in the uk?

As a reference, my 2 bed condo in North Van could sell for $750k’ish, that’s about 450k pounds. Rents for similar will be about $2.5k/month.

I haven’t really got that far, yet.. Although the job is in downtown, I would probably look to live outside Van, in somewhere like Pitt Meadows, where one of my best mates lives with his wife.

I’d be moving on my own. I rent, but my parents own the flat, and it’s effectively mine, in all but name, so there may be something that can help there.

It would be on a 3-6 month probation period, so I wouldn’t be buying straight away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Be careful what you wish for…. (emigration content)’ is closed to new replies.