Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • BCF or CTC rider insurance?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

A friend just got knocked off his bike and is very lucky to have ‘walked’ away.

It’s brought home just how important dedicated insurance for a cyclist really is. I don’t have any, that needs to change.

So who provides the best insurance cover. I’m not a racer so thought the CTC insurance might better suit my needs. Does anyone have first hand experience of having made a claim with either?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m not a racer so thought the CTC insurance might better suit my needs

That’s exactly the distinction I made when i looked at both recently, joined CTC. Can’t help with the claim question as I’ve not been out on the bike since I joined two days ago.

MoreCashThanDash

I went CTC – I don’t race and CTC do more for campaigning for access etc (imho)

GrahamS

Same reasoning as MoreCashThanDash.

CTC do more campaigning about the issues I care about and have a good history of helping out cyclists in legal challenges so I went with them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i went with BCF, and will probably go with CTC ‘next’ for the reasons above.

but, i’d suggest it’s better to be a member of one of them, and be a little unsure if you made the perfect choice, than not be a member of either, because you’re not sure which to join…

Pickers

CTC do more campaigning about the issues I care about and have a good history of helping out cyclists in legal challenges so I went with them.

^^^^ This. CTC here too, I’m a tourer.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

CTC it is then, I will call them in the morning.

GrahamS

Call them? Just sign up on the website like someone from this century 😀

http://www.ctc.org.uk/join-membership

Pickers

They were doing a bit of a deal for 15 months for the price of 12, don’t know if that’s still live but worth asking if you call them up

Edit – “They” being CTC

gordonb
    Free Member

I use BC Ride membership, partly because it’s needed for MBLA stuff, and partly cos they sent me a nice wee BC sticker when I renewed last time!

The Ride is for non racers

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

If you really want to commit I think you can even get 5 year membership for price of 4 or something like that (that’s what I have). Means you can then forget about it for a good while.

StirlingCrispin

CTC.

I’m a CTC right-to-ride rep.
    I get to review road plans and feedback to the council so that they benefit cyclists (no guarantees, but at least they ask).
    Over the years I’ve had the benefit of CTC workshops, conferences and lots of advice from CTC HQ, as well as giving me a reason to harangue MSPs and MPs.
    This costs the CTC money, and explains why their membership costs a bit more, but has started to make a real difference to cyclists in the local area.

ransos
    Free Member

I get CTC insurance for £16/ year – one of my clubs is affiliated to them. Bargain if you ask me.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This is long overdue, but I’m now a fully paid up CTC member, I will be packing a yellow poncho and thermos flask on all future rides. 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘BCF or CTC rider insurance?’ is closed to new replies.