Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BC or CTC
  • keithd
    Free Member

After being knocked off last week I am finally going to join one or the other but which one? BC appears more road orientated but seems to have more useful discounts (Halfords and CRC).
    What is the STW consensus? Cheers

hot_fiat

Not been a member of the CTC, but do find the discounts with BC pretty useful. CTC seem more switched on though and there’s definitely an old-guard, sports jacket wearing self important duffer feeling about BC.

keithd
    Free Member

Cheers hot fiat. I suppose they both offer insurance and legal services so its flip a coin time.

Mugboo

CTC seem to have got being open access recently, so maybe CTC. In fact it would be interesting to know if membership has risen since.

nathb
    Free Member

To throw another company in the mix, I used Bikmo.

I had a small incident with a Ocado van and they were fantastic at getting everything ready in case Ocado took further action. They were also great when dealing with my accidentally damaged front wheel.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

If I hadn’t been a CTC member I wouldn’t have a roof over my head now! I can’t praise them enough, I had a life altering accident when I was hit by a motorbike and they did an excellent job. I would say that I didn’t necessarily think they were fantastic for the MTB rider, but stuff they are now doing for access and I there is more interesting stuff in the magazine too.

scotroutes

On the CTC Insurance aspect; is Personal Accident insurance available without opting for bike insurance?

TiRed

For insurance and legal cover they are much of a muchness. Leigh Day is on retention.

I’m in both, family for ctc for cover for teen2 on the school run, and BC for club, race and coaching duties for me.

For general cycling I’d say CTC.

hjghg5
    Free Member

BC for me. I race a bit, and have made good use of the CRC discount – a bike and powermeter have pretty much covered the cost.

chakaping
    Free Member

CTC seem to have got being open access recently, so maybe CTC. In fact it would be interesting to know if membership has risen since.

Well they have at least one more member because of it, as I’ve joined since my BC membership expired.

I will miss that CRC discount, but after being involved with some of Cycling UK’s MTB advocacy work it was clear that access is getting much higher on their agenda.

It’s a bit of a shame that we have these two competing organisations really, as it probably dilutes the clout either would have if it had a greater number of members.

But on the upside I suppose you can just pick the one that’s more aligned with your own priorities – and BC obviously have a strong offering for racers and sportive enthusiasts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BC or CTC’ is closed to new replies.