Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BC Bike Race – Hardtail or Full Suspension?
  • Anyone done the BC Bike Race ( http://bcbikerace.com )? Just I'd like to know if a hardtail or full suss is the best option? Looks from the YouTube footage that a fair number of hardtails are being used…

(Please ignore same question posted in error on Chat Forum)

walleater

I've not done the race, but I've ridden plenty of the trails and I'd say a fully despite the fact that I ride a hardtail on them. You'll get beaten to shit on a multi day race. Whatever you ride, make sure that it's reliable and reasonably sturdy as you won't be riding around fields like a typical UK Xc race.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Not done this race but did the Transalp last year which is the same kind of thing (multi-day stage race). Not sure how the trails compare…

We used hardtails (Kinesis Maxlight XC Pro 2) for the sake of simplicity and easy maintenance and it proved to be a good choice in that respect with zero mechanicals. You do get pretty beat up, but if you've done all the training on the same bike then you are kind of used to it. Crucially, ride the bike you're accustomed to and make sure everything fits and works and can be relied upon. The only way to get to know the bike is to spend many, many hours on it in the months leading up to the race.

Good luck!

Transalp blog is here if you have a spare few hours ;o)

Thanks – My bike choices are:
    [list=1]1. Rigid Klein Attitude XV (2005) with Fox F100RLT forks
    2. Full sus Maverick ML7.5 with Maverick SC32 forks[/list]
    I guess I've got to make a judgement call based on reliability, weight and comfort – Is this a reasonable conclusion or am I missing something?

walleater

I think a Klein Attitude with 100mm forks would be about the last bike I'd want to ride around here (BC), but if you are super fit and are wanting to do really well, then screw the downhills as the race will be won on the climbs anyway. If on the other hand you are racing for experience rather than the results, you'll have much more fun hooning down Young Lust, Plunge etc on the Maverick.

Thanks walleater – great to have advice from BC – the Maverick it is!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BC Bike Race – Hardtail or Full Suspension?’ is closed to new replies.