Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BBs enlighten a caveman…
  • br1zz
    Free Member

Ever wish you'd just left your bike alone in between rides ?

Felt some roughness the other day, so took the chain off and sure enough one side of the BB is rough as. Oddly, the bearing on the other side is not tight in the cup either.

Problem is, the last time I changed a BB, it went INSIDE the shell and came with it's own axle (it was octalink though – at the time that seemed cutting edge !) !

Having looked for a replacement, I am confuzled by the different standards and whether or not they all fit my crank axle (which is bonded to the chain ring crank)

The bike is a 2010 Orange P7.
    The BB is a raceface X type according to the website, but isn't conspicuously marked on the cups.
    The crankset is Truvativ firex.

What's compatible / good / cheapish ?

What are my options / what will fit

thomthumb
    Free Member

The crankset is Truvativ firex.

What's compatible / good

erm. not much!!

if i were you i'd bin the lot and get a shimano set up.

truvative bbs last for weeks rather than months.

Northwind

You can get Hope with spacers for Truvativ… It's not a bad crank, the Firex, one of the better Truvativ ones. But unless things have really come on, Truvativ BBs are appalling.

zigzag69
    Free Member

GXP BB? See here:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19366

Don't forget you'll need a BB spanner too – the HTII one works on the Truvativ cups too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4062

Just been through this with my Haro Mary, a lot of play on the non drive side. Lasted just under 8 months. Not a happy camper, although I have done a lot of riding on it, including a couple of '10 under the' mud fests and a nasty day at Ae where the mud resembled grinding paste.

Northwind

That sounds like pretty good going for Truvativ tbh… I had 250 miles out of one 😛

br1zz
    Free Member

So GXP is non-standard, right ?
    And Truvativ BBs are crap.

OK, so I recently replaced the headset on this bike and after some deliberation I decided against a hope unit. Nothing wrong with the one I got (yet), but I wish I'd got the hope one cos I know I'll end up fitting one eventually. This time I think I'll just get a hope BB first time.

I have seen a ceramic hope BB for a few quid more than the SS version, but are they the same cups ie could I fit SS bearings at a later date if I wanted, given that it would cost about half as much, but I get the advantage of ceramic bearings first time round ? I realise I need the spacer set to fit the GXP cranks, anyone ever tried removing these to fit normal cranks later ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BBs enlighten a caveman…’ is closed to new replies.